The best advice you ever got...

RAC630

These threads are a wealth of great information but if there was one piece of advice that someone gave you before you cruised that made a positive difference in some phase of your cruise experience, what would that advice be? I know that is a very broad question, but I am truly interested a wide variety of responses :)

I can think of a few:

-Don't sweat the small stuff

-A smile is in fact contagious

-Why the hell not, you are on vacation! (this is if you are unsure about doing something)

-Although you are important, so are the other 1000 plus people on the boat

-pack light

-bring extra hangers

-bring a refillable cooler cup

-highlighter for the Cruise Compass

-sandwich bags

-hand sanitizer and Lysol Wipes

These threads are a wealth of great information but if there was one piece of advice that someone gave you before you cruised that made a positive difference in some phase of your cruise experience, what would that advice be? I know that is a very broad question, but I am truly interested a wide variety of responses :)

It's a *vacation* and never lose sight of that. Don't sweat the small stuff. Be prepared for lines and crowds. Nothing is perfect and nothing ever will. Don't find reasons to not like the trip, do the opposite, find reasons to be glad you are aboard an awesome ship with top-notch service. There's such thing as overplanning and micromanagement. Don't do that. If you're traveling with other people do not sign them up for anything, don't force them into your schedule (or any schedule) -- this also applies to kids > 10yo. Set expectations and curfew times. Let them have fun on their own at their own pace.

First Time cruisers , DO NOT over book excursions or island tours . Mix in a beach Day or you will be dragging by the end of the week. You will cruise again you don't need to see it and do it all on the first or second cruise .

Have your air conditioner filter changed in your cabin. I have done this on my past 4 cruises and they were filthy, moldy, etc. No wonder I was getting sick on previous cruises, Two times I ended up in the hospital upon my return with respiratory problems.

Do try lunch in the MDR on At Sea days!

The menu is seriously underrated, the Tutti Salad station especially fantastic, you won't be elbowing for buffet tongs at the jammer, and the dining experience is really enjoyable!

Have your air conditioner filter changed in your cabin. I have done this on my past 4 cruises and they were filthy, moldy, etc. No wonder I was getting sick on previous cruises, Two times I ended up in the hospital upon my return with respiratory problems.

Will they actually do that upon request?

Read everything you can lay hands on, so you don't miss out! Amazon has a couple of excellent tips-and hints cruise books. The Cruise Addict Ones are good.

And read once onboard, too. I have been amazed at how much money people spend, not having a clue what they are doing --or missing out on!

How did you go about this? You asked your cabin steward? Or call maintenance?? You got one on me here I wouldn't have ever thought to ask!!! Thanks

Before my first cruise last year, someone sent me this message: "stop, run, cancel now while you still can. If you go you'll be hooked forever!!!" I didn't listen and now I am definitely hooked forever.😀😀

Before my first cruise last year, someone sent me this message: "stop, run, cancel now while you still can. If you go you'll be hooked forever!!!" I didn't listen and now I am definitely hooked forever.

That's the best advise ever . 75 cruises and just can't stop ! :):)

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I've gotten lots of good advice (mostly from here), but my favorite was probably that you can request to be just a table of your family/party. When there were just two of us, we were in larger group tables and that was fine, but once we started sailing with babies and toddlers it was so much less stressful to have dinner just with our family.

Now our kids are older (in the grand scheme of things - youngest is 5), but I don't think I'd go back to a larger group table even though we try for early seating every cruise. I know others have different opinions, but I'm glad it's available for us.

Edited by PattyW