The best advice you ever got...

RAC630

Always watch for price drops....ALWAYS!!!

BILL

This is great advice right here! I'd also like to add, if your category sells out, don't give up hope. Keep trying to book, because often same category will become available again.

I've received a ton of helpful advice on CC. The best advice I got was how to get a cabana on Barefoot Beach in Labadee when we were on the Navigator. We were not staying in a suite and are not Diamond, D+ or anything of that nature (was my first RCCL cruise) but I was given info on how to get a cabana with email contact information. That was the biggest highlight of that cruise! Loved loved loved our cabana there and we were treated like royalty that day. I don't think they allow common folk like myself to do that anymore though.

I also was told to just take a taxi to the airport from Port Everglades. There were a ton of shuttle buses sitting out front when we got off the ship asking for $15/pp to take us to the airport. There were 6 of us and we all fit into a taxi for less than $10 for all 6 of us. I never would have thought to do that had I not read it on CC. I would have just paid the huge fees and waited an hour for the bus to fill up to go across the street to the airport.

Regarding food:

Don't be afraid to ask for something (for example, something that was on last night's menu, but not tonight's). The worst they can say is "no". Also, don't be afraid of ordering more of what you like or ordering a replacement for something you don't like. AND, you don't need to restrict yourself to one appetizer, one salad, etc. If you want to make a meal of all appetizers, go for it. Want both the meat entree and a seafood (surf and turf, if you will), yup, you can do that.

Discovered on my own:

If there are chilled fruit soups or fruit salads on the menu, they make a nice alternative to the regular desserts.

Here is a bit of advice I did not get, but am going to give to others:

If you are going on your 1st cruise with others who are seasoned cruisers, beware. Beware that what they find enjoyable to do, you may not. They may be your good friends and want to offer advice on how to 'make the most of your 1st cruise' -- do what YOU want, not what others want to do....and remember above all it is a vacation.

Then on your second cruise, go without them. By then you will be hooked....we were!

How did you go about this? You asked your cabin steward? Or call maintenance?? You got one on me here I wouldn't have ever thought to ask!!! Thanks

I just called maintenance and they usually come in a few hours.

I just called maintenance and they usually come in a few hours.

Great thanks you were there when they came? Do they give you a time frame. If I don't stay in the cabin how could I be sure it was done? I talked about this with my family and you are so right!!! Almost every cruise my DD comes home with some kinda upper resp issue or pink eye! Every cruise!! We could never figure out why. She brings her own pillow cases wash cloths. Thanks sooo much for this tip[emoji108][emoji41][emoji267]

The best advice I've gotten wasn't cruise related but just in general -

-Have patience, not everything will run smoothly or go your way that quickly.

-Look at all 'costs' associated with the trip; not just the fare and hotel but the food, drinks, and activities (so you know cruise to me, removes the one of the major problems out the way.:p)

-Get to your mode of transportation earlier, so at least you're not in a major rush.

-bring as much money / credit on you, in case of lost clothes / damage goods / buying toiletries at your destination especially if you're flying in.

These threads are a wealth of great information but if there was one piece of advice that someone gave you before you cruised that made a positive difference in some phase of your cruise experience, what would that advice be? I know that is a very broad question, but I am truly interested a wide variety of responses :)

Don't exhaust yourself with overplanning. Just show up and figure it out as you go. You don't need to discover everything before you step aboard.

Do your research, and that the best place to do that is Cruisecritic. This website has made all the difference in the world; never had a bad cruise. Of course, that's probably due in part to my attitude.... Don't fuss over the small stuff; you're on vacation and better yet, on a CRUISE! Love watching that ship's wake as I eat an early morning breakfast. :D

Always arrive at your port city at least a day early. Much more relaxing and no risk of missing the ship. As others have said, enjoy the experience and don't expect perfection. Be nice to the crew and to each other.

I'm not sure this applies to all cruise lines but on Princess I was always getting confused on which way to turn getting off the elevators to go back to my cabin. Someone told me to look at the carpet. On one side the border was red and on the other side the border was blue. I never had any issues after that and have shared that tip with many people that I've seen walk from one side of the elevator lobby to the other.

I'm not sure this applies to all cruise lines but on Princess I was always getting confused on which way to turn getting off the elevators to go back to my cabin. Someone told me to look at the carpet. On one side the border was red and on the other side the border was blue. I never had any issues after that and have shared that tip with many people that I've seen walk from one side of the elevator lobby to the other.

I've been on many cruises too and never noticed, but this is the first time I heard of this. Thanks for this great info.

Highlighters, magnets, suitcases fit under the bed, don't sweat the formal nights, nobody cares if you wear the same thing twice, start positive and stay that way.

Also insulated cups.

• 2 weeks later...

I love this thread. However, this forum is not where I got travel advice from for either of my first two cruises. The best teacher is experience. I also have a very good travel agent who offers plenty of great advice about cruising.

When I had doubts I will like HAL because other posters complained about their service, entertainment, food, etc. going downhill, my TA said because I am new to the cruise line, I will not miss anything without something to compare it to. I like that.

The main Princess pax elevators face forward.

The lower the cabin number the more towards the front you are.

Port is left, both have four letters. Even numbered cabins.

Starboard is right, odd number of letters. Odd numbered cabins.