Embarkation lunch

dbird

Doing a short 3 day in December from Vancouver. Instead of rushing to the dinning room,or fighting crowds at the buffet.... I was wondering if the grill by the pool will open. Second, if it is open do the just serve burgers , or is it more varied.

If it I guess there is always the International Cafe.

Will be open as soon as boarding starts. Trident Grill lunch menu includes: Hamburger, Veggie Burger, Chicken Breast Sandwich, Hot Dog, Bratwurst, Knockwurst. Only side is French Fries; I wish they had Onion Rings--until I remember how long they sit there growing old and cold before my eyes on the cruise lines that do.

(And one small hint: I see you have at least two future cruises booked, and you have asked some separate questions about each. Please mention which ship you are on in the opening post; you will get a lot more replies ;))

Edited by fishywood

Haven't been on Princess in several years. Is the dining room open for lunch on embarkation?

There is one open from noon to 1:30pm. Which one will be listed in the first day's Patter. Usually one of the dining rooms off of the Piazza (either on the 5th or 6th floor). Look closely on the dining options on the back of the Patter. Many people say that they don't see it, but, it is always listed. Get there as early as possible as they close the doors before 1:30pm.

There is one open from noon to 1:30pm. Which one will be listed in the first day's Patter. Usually one of the dining rooms off of the Piazza (either on the 5th or 6th floor). Look closely on the dining options on the back of the Patter. Many people say that they don't see it, but, it is always listed. Get there as early as possible as they close the doors before 1:30pm.

Keep in mind the embarkation lunch selection is extremely limited. Only 2 appetizer and 2 entree options. No salads. We saw many people look at the menu and then leave (including at our table).

Keep in mind the embarkation lunch selection is extremely limited. Only 2 appetizer and 2 entree options. No salads. We saw many people look at the menu and then leave (including at our table).

That is not always the case. The menu may be limited, but there are more choices than you say here (at least on the short cruises I've done lately out of LA.)

That is not always the case. The menu may be limited, but there are more choices than you say here (at least on the short cruises I've done lately out of LA.)

Good to know, thanks. Also, is it open seating and you have to sit where you are seated or can you ask for a two top and wait if needed for a table to become available?

Good to know, thanks. Also, is it open seating and you have to sit where you are seated or can you ask for a two top and wait if needed for a table to become available?

No problem getting a table for two. The MDR at lunch on embarkation day is never very busy. Lots of people don't realize it's open. :)

LuLu

We always head to the pool-side grill for lunch on embarkation. It's just what we do. I am something of a nervous traveler. So, after fighting traffic to get to the port, competing for a parking space, dropping off checked baggage for the porter, standing in multiple lines for check-in and security scanning, I am ready to relax. Sitting at a pool-side table, sipping iced teas, munching a burger with fries and watching the masses rush to the buffet gets me off to a good start. :)

We always head to the pool-side grill for lunch on embarkation. It's just what we do. I am something of a nervous traveler. So, after fighting traffic to get to the port, competing for a parking space, dropping off checked baggage for the porter, standing in multiple lines for check-in and security scanning, I am ready to relax. Sitting at a pool-side table, sipping iced teas, munching a burger with fries and watching the masses rush to the buffet gets me off to a good start. :)

Our "tradition" is a large plate of fries and a couple beers. That's when our vacation really starts!

Our "tradition" is a large plate of fries and a couple beers. That's when our vacation really starts!

Yup. Life is good, Ceba. :)

I have to admit we broke from our tradition last time. Embarkation was a mess--twice the number of cruise ships (4) than normal (2, max) departing from San Pedro that day. So the entire baggage drop/checkin/security process took almost two hours. We arrived in our cabin in time to grab our life jackets and head to the muster drill.

I did something different this time. I pre-ordered a vegie and dip platter, which was waiting for us in the cabin. I had ordered it just to have something to nosh on. However, after the muster drill we opened one of our two carry-on non-corkage-charged bottles of wine and repaired to the balcony with our noshes. We did not even want to mess with the pool-side crowd. Fermented grape juice as we were pulling out did wonders for both of us.

I believe we are on the same cruise....Dec 15th - Ruby.

We do these quick coastals quite a bit and the main dining room is always open (until 1:30) and not very crowded. The weather will most likely be quite chilly, so some warm soup and hot coffee with lunch will be nice. Often a nice selection on the lunch menu. Think I had a steak in September?

Should be easy boarding as she (Ruby) is coming from drydock, so should not be any passengers getting off. We plan to arrive early and get a full day's worth.

Yup. Life is good, Ceba. :)

I have to admit we broke from our tradition last time. Embarkation was a mess--twice the number of cruise ships (4) than normal (2, max) departing from San Pedro that day. So the entire baggage drop/checkin/security process took almost two hours. We arrived in our cabin in time to grab our life jackets and head to the muster drill.

I did something different this time. I pre-ordered a vegie and dip platter, which was waiting for us in the cabin. I had ordered it just to have something to nosh on. However, after the muster drill we opened one of our two carry-on non-corkage-charged bottles of wine and repaired to the balcony with our noshes. We did not even want to mess with the pool-side crowd. Fermented grape juice as we were pulling out did wonders for both of us.

Well heck, that sounds like a good "new tradition"!