Grand Dolphin mini suite

sk8terchick

Hi[emoji3]

Going on Mexico cruise March 13,2018 out of San Francisco.

Hubby will be Ruby level this cruise & I am Elite.

We are currently booked with balcony cabin on Aloha deck.

We are thinking about moving to mini-suite on Dolphin deck. Or Caribe deck balcony.

Is it a big concern that balcony is not covered on Dolphin for this time of year?

Never have done Mini suite is it worth it for the extra space to splurge.

Are there any extra perks? It's rare for my husband to offer to spend a little extra[emoji6].

We got the Sip & Sail promotion which saved us a lot of $ for trip.

Thank you. Happy cruising [emoji227]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No extra perks for mini other than specialty dining if still offered with promo. Extra space is nice, bigger bathroom with tub, 2 tvs, sofa. I always try for a covered balcony mini on Emerald deck, the last 2 have very very large balconys

Hi[emoji3]

We are thinking about moving to mini-suite on Dolphin deck. Or Caribe deck balcony.

Is it a big concern that balcony is not covered on Dolphin for this time of year?

Are there any extra perks? It's rare for my husband to offer to spend a little extra[emoji6].

I always say that the cabin description mini suite should not have the name suite in it at all. :(

I always say that the cabin description mini suite should not have the name suite in it at all. :(

You might be surprised that the queen suites on the Queen Mary 11 are exactly the same as Princess mini suites. And they cost a lot more than on Princess.

Hi[emoji3]

I would much rather go for an aft Caribe deck balcony cabin or an Emerald deck Mini-suite than an Aloha deck balcony. I wouldn't go for a fully non-covered balcony.

They are no longer offering the specialty dinner with the mini-suite and above ... but the Sip and Sail is so nice so at least you got that.

I like the extra room of a mini-suite but there are really no other perks other than a larger room and bathroom. I especially wouldn't even consider a mini unless I got one of the ones on the Emerald deck.

The Caribe deck balconies are actually a tiny bit larger than the balconies for the mini-suites, unless you get one of the two last ones on the port or starboard side.

Since that is a 10 night cruise -- I would only pay a total of $400 more for a mini-suite ... that is just me, though. Only you can determine the worth of it for you.

Take a caribe deck balcony as a compromise. Mini suites are okay but kind of a waste depending on itinerary. If you spend a great deal of time time in your cabin then consider a mini. Otherwise, the regular cabin is fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by 4cats4me

• 2 weeks later...

On our past two cruises with Princess, specifically, New England and Panama Canal, we have booked a Mini Suite. The word Suite is indeed a misnomer, a Princess Mini Suite consist of a seating area between the bed and the balcony door and a shower/tub combination as opposed to the standard shower. I think you receive a couple of other minor amenities, such as a welcome aboard glass of champagne.

The benefit for us and the reason we like Mini Suites, is that I'm large man. The shower/tub combination affords me room to take an enjoyable shower and the seating area is appreciated particularly on longer cruises.

The covered vs uncovered issue, we had both, and unless your cruising near the equator (as we were in Panama) we haven't noticed much of a difference. The little extra shade does help keep the cabin a little cooler. On the Grand the staterooms on Dolphin deck 9 forward of suite D211 starboard side are covered. Likewise to port, but I simply don't remember the stateroom number, I assume D212 forward. I hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi[emoji3]

If you want a covered balcony, select Deck 8 * Emerald Deck. We had E721 for 15 day cruise from SF to Hawaii back in Nov 2015 and Loved It

I've always been in Dolphin deck minis and have no problem with the uncovered balcony. What I do like about the minis are the bathtub and especially the sofa. The balcony cabins only have one chair so I find that's not a good set up for two people.

Hi[emoji3]

We always book Emerald deck mini's because we have our daughter with us. The extra space and the tub is nice.

We love the fully covered balcony. We would never book a Dolphin deck mini as it is totally exposed and those above you on their balcony standing at the rail can see you.

The only "perk" I would say is they do give you a glass of sparkling wine upon embarkation. Your room steward will bring it shortly after you board.

Only you can determine if the price difference is worth it.

Take a caribe deck balcony as a compromise. Mini suites are okay but kind of a waste depending on itinerary. If you spend a great deal of time time in your cabin then consider a mini. Otherwise, the regular cabin is fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm hitting the like button on this one.

Tony

Edited by Lucky TGO

It is nice to have the mini suite with more than 2 people in the room. With 2 kids one can sleep on the sofa bed and the other in the drop down bunk. Also, nice if they like to take baths since balconies only have showers.

Have them look at the minis on Emerald deck, they are currently cheaper than ones on the Dolphin deck. And they are totally covered.

We love these minis. No problem if they are on the aft of the ship and you are up front. Only a short walk in between. It is nice to have the exercise after eating:p

We cruised to Hawaii in a mini suite, Emerald deck aft, on the Grand's sister ship, Star Princess. Loved the cabin and location, but DH who's 6'5" discovered he had to duck in the tub/shower combo. The bathroom has a step up, and then the tub is raised to accommodate plumbing, which makes headroom tighter. Unfortunately no more mini suites for us. Something to take into consideration if any of the passengers are on the taller side.