Windstar vs. Azamara?

cruisintime

We are deciding between Windstar (Legend) and Azamara (Journey) for a Suez Canal cruise in October and would appreciate comments and input. We enjoyed a Windstar cruise but it was in 2009 so it was some time ago and have never cruised on Azamara. The itineraries have only minor differences.

Thanks for the help!:D

We love Windstar because it is small, casual, elegant and not ostentatious.

The service is extraordinary without being intrusive. Lovely food service. The smallness attracted us in 1999 and everything else fell into place after that. We were the Surf in 2015 as well as the Legend in 2015. Love the sails and the motor yachts. On the Surf in May. I have never been on an Azamara but I believe it is bigger, we love the small and Windstar Cruises.

I like Azamara and Windstar. I have sailed on both many times.

The Azamara ships have been redecorated recently. Cabins are nice. However, their bathrooms are very small. Included toiletries keep changing. I really liked the Elemis on our first cruise. Next cruise was About Rose. That was terrible. Now when I sail on Azamara I bring my own products. The veranda cabins have a real veranda with a sliding glass door. the food is very good. The specialty restaurants charge extra. Buffet area is the usual...collect your food and find a table. Each cruise has an Amazing Evening event. No tipping policy and included drinks is nice. Top shelf liquor and minibar drinks cost extra. Soft drinks in the minibar are complimentary. They refill upon request. Entertainment is okay. Best time is the White Night party. Mosaic coffee bar is good. However, it charges extra for some items like Nespresso. It is open day and night. Pool Grill is open all afternoon. Pool area has large pools and hot tubs. Internet is not included unless you have frequent status. Excursions are not included. No formal nights. Self serve laundry rooms are available. Laundry can be done by the ship at an extra cost. Staff is very good. Azamara does a nice cruise.

Windstar legend has also been redecorated. Cabins are all suites. Even the smallest cabin is very large. Marble bathrooms rooms are roomy. Most have bathtub/shower combos and double sinks. Some have large walk in showers. They provide L'Occitane products. Minibars are restocked daily. Soft drinks, juices, and water are complimentary everywhere including the cabin. Food is fantastic. The Veranda is open for breakfast and lunch. Small buffet area and menu items. Tables set with white linen clothes. Table service by the crew is outstanding. If you want something that isn't on the menu, just ask. I especially like the local additions from visited ports. Candles, the specialty restaurant, is complimentary. Food is amazing. Every cruise has a deck bbq party with entertainment. Yacht Club provides a casual place to get a sandwich, dessert, or coffee. Unfortunately, it doesn't serve after dinner. Specialty coffee can be requested from any bar or food service area. Room service is available 24/7. Pool area is small. Every Windstar cruise includes a special event. Entertainment is casual. There are 2 venues with live music....lounge and Compass Rose. Good library and extensive DVD library for borrowing. Every cabin has a dvd player. Internet is extra for all. Excursions are not included. No formal nights. The sports platform is a blast. No self serve laundry room. Laundry service is fabulous. Inexpensive, ironed on hangers, and returned same day. For a small set fee, you can buy unlimited. Tipping is not included. You cannot use OBC for tips.

Major difference is size. Azamara ships have about 700 passengers. Windstar Legend has about 200 passengers. Windstar can go into places that larger ships cannot fit.

I would happily sail on either line. Destination could be a deciding point. Also, price may make a difference.

I have 2 future cruises booked on the Legend.

Whichever cruise you pick, you will have a good time.

Azamara has Club Continent Suites that provide more space in the cabin, balcony, and -- more importantly -- bathroom. Those suites also include a butler, 235 Internet minutes pp, one free bag of laundry every 7 days, complimentary specialty restaurants, and afternoon tea in-suite. There is currently a sale where the second passenger pays 1/2 and you get one unlimited internet account per cabin, which makes the price dynamic quite different from list.

As to smaller ships going where others can't, here is the itinerary we have on Azamara next January:

• embark in Caldera, Costa Rica

• at sea

• Fuerte Amador, Panama (overnight)

• Golfito, Costa Rica (overnight)

• Quepos, Costa Rica

• Papagayo, Costa Rica

• San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua

• Puntarenas, Costa Rica

• Caldera, Costa Rica (arrive 11 pm for next-day disembarkation)

I know that Windstar "specializes" in Costa Rica, and would be interested in knowing what other ports Windstar would do on a 10-night cruise like this?

I like Azamara and Windstar. I have sailed on both many times.

The Azamara ships have been redecorated recently. Cabins are nice. However, their bathrooms are very small. Included toiletries keep changing. I really liked the Elemis on our first cruise. Next cruise was About Rose. That was terrible. Now when I sail on Azamara I bring my own products. The veranda cabins have a real veranda with a sliding glass door. the food is very good. The specialty restaurants charge extra. Buffet area is the usual...collect your food and find a table. Each cruise has an Amazing Evening event. No tipping policy and included drinks is nice. Top shelf liquor and minibar drinks cost extra. Soft drinks in the minibar are complimentary. They refill upon request. Entertainment is okay. Best time is the White Night party. Mosaic coffee bar is good. However, it charges extra for some items like Nespresso. It is open day and night. Pool Grill is open all afternoon. Pool area has large pools and hot tubs. Internet is not included unless you have frequent status. Excursions are not included. No formal nights. Self serve laundry rooms are available. Laundry can be done by the ship at an extra cost. Staff is very good. Azamara does a nice cruise.

Windstar legend has also been redecorated. Cabins are all suites. Even the smallest cabin is very large. Marble bathrooms rooms are roomy. Most have bathtub/shower combos and double sinks. Some have large walk in showers. They provide L'Occitane products. Minibars are restocked daily. Soft drinks, juices, and water are complimentary everywhere including the cabin. Food is fantastic. The Veranda is open for breakfast and lunch. Small buffet area and menu items. Tables set with white linen clothes. Table service by the crew is outstanding. If you want something that isn't on the menu, just ask. I especially like the local additions from visited ports. Candles, the specialty restaurant, is complimentary. Food is amazing. Every cruise has a deck bbq party with entertainment. Yacht Club provides a casual place to get a sandwich, dessert, or coffee. Unfortunately, it doesn't serve after dinner. Specialty coffee can be requested from any bar or food service area. Room service is available 24/7. Pool area is small. Every Windstar cruise includes a special event. Entertainment is casual. There are 2 venues with live music....lounge and Compass Rose. Good library and extensive DVD library for borrowing. Every cabin has a dvd player. Internet is extra for all. Excursions are not included. No formal nights. The sports platform is a blast. No self serve laundry room. Laundry service is fabulous. Inexpensive, ironed on hangers, and returned same day. For a small set fee, you can buy unlimited. Tipping is not included. You cannot use OBC for tips.

Major difference is size. Azamara ships have about 700 passengers. Windstar Legend has about 200 passengers. Windstar can go into places that larger ships cannot fit.

I would happily sail on either line. Destination could be a deciding point. Also, price may make a difference.

I have 2 future cruises booked on the Legend.

Whichever cruise you pick, you will have a good time.

Thanks for this comparison. I have sailed many times with Azamara and I really like them. I like that you do not have to pay for the drinks additionally or for the gratuities. Very attentive crew.

I am going to sail for the first time with Windstar and your comparison helps to know what to expect.

Mist been said already, but I'll add the following.

Azamara has a more inclusive approach. Beer wine and spirits included although not top shelf. However, my wife found the white wine offering of the day not to be that pleasant and I only found one red wine one day that was palatable. We are not wine snobs but had to buy a bottle every night with dinner.

The 2 speciality restaurants are extra, but are so worth it. We got reservations 4 nights out of a 7 night cruise. Food all very good except main dining room which was only average at best with some strange choices on offer.

Cabins refurbished and very nice although bathrooms very small. Be prepared to do battle with a shower curtain. We had not had a shower curtain for about 25 years so,was an experience. My wife was ready to ask for a new one to be put up, however no need as it was spotlessly clean.

Good size balcony, and gratuities included.

We have our first Windstar cruise this May and have noted the following.

Less inclusive although lower lead in fares.

Larger suites with larger bathrooms. Less speciality dining although I gather the food in the main dining room is very good.

2 bottle limit to own wines with a corkage charge. Azamara also had a corkage charge but no limit.

Beverage package does not look god value.

Happy choosing.

Azamara offers six wines all day at no additional charge: two whites, two reds, a rose, and a sparkling wine. Never had an issue finding a satisfactory one. I just roll my eyes when someone claims none are "palatable.":rolleyes:

I agree. Originally Azamara only offered 1 red and 1 white each night (rotating from a larger selection) plus 1 rose (always the same, but people liked it -- I think it might have been White Zinfandel). Last year they listened to customer feedback and changed this to 2 red and 2 whites each night, and added sparkling wine and sparkling water. I drink a lot of wine and have a pretty sophisticated palate, and I was so happy with the included wines that I never paid for anything "better."

On Windstar, you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board in every port. For a couple, that's a total of 4. No corkage fees in any venue and if you want, the Dining room will store them for you.

The wine bottles that we bought in France while on an Azamra wine cruise were taken from us and returned on the last evening. Nothing like getting excited about a wine while on an excursion and not be able to drink it on the trip. The Aazamazing event in Bordeaux was a trip to Cateaux Giscours which served the most devine wine. Wish I had the opportunity to buy it and drink it on the ship.

On Windstar, you can bring 2 bottles of wine on board in every port. For a couple, that's a total of 4. No corkage fees in any venue and if you want, the Dining room will store them for you.

The wine bottles that we bought in France while on an Azamra wine cruise were taken from us and returned on the last evening. Nothing like getting excited about a wine while on an excursion and not be able to drink it on the trip. The Aazamazing event in Bordeaux was a trip to Cateaux Giscours which served the most devine wine. Wish I had the opportunity to buy it and drink it on the ship.

Never seen or heard of Azamara confiscating a bottle of wine or liquor since liquor and wine were "included."