Oceania "Gondollas and Goddesses" Cruise (Venice to Athens July 2018)

JDR1986

Hello Everyone!

I am considering taking an Oceania Cruise for the first time with my wife and her parents. I have been on 26 other crusies (mostly RCL, NCL, and Princess) but have never taken a "higher-end line" such as Oceania.

We are very close to booking the "Gondollas and Goddesses" cruise from Venice to Athens leaving July 4, 2018 through July 12, 2018 on the Riviera. We would spend a few days in Venice before the cruise then several in Athens after to extend the trip.

Has anyone done this sailing before? Any tips? Room suggestions? We are open to anything from the Veranda Stateroom to the Penthouse 1. The issue isn't the money so much as whether we would be spending that much time in the room to justify the added expense.

Any insight on this Oceania sailing, ship, excursions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jon

We did Rome to Venice and enjoyed touring, but still enjoyed the suite and service. If money isn't a problem I'd go with the suite for super great trip, not just a great trip. You'll have a nice cruise which ever you pick. Just more perks with the suite.

Just booked 7111 for this cruise. I really didn't see a need for anything more, and loved pictures of the larger balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was looking at that one earlier today! I am considering the Penthouse Suite (PH3), Concierge Level (A1), and the Oceania Suite right now. I know, the Oceania Suite is insanely expensive but my wife's parents as well as her brother and his wife will liekly be joining us on this cruise. The Oceania Suite would give us sufficient room to entertain when the ship closes down on the earlier side (we are all night owls).

Hopefully I'll see you on the ship!

You are correct that the Oceania Suite will give you more entertainment room. MUCH more.

The problem is -- I'm not the first one to say this -- as soon as you spring for more suite than you ever thought you'd be able to afford -- you get spoiled!

When we were starting out on Renaissance the standard veranda room was fine. Then we moved up to PH ... it became hard to move back to Deck 7 on the "R" ships! Then a few years in we got an upsell to the Owner's Suite on Regatta. I remember attending a gathering of our 8 person tour group in a PH and my first thought was, "Gee, it's small."

I hadn't thought it was small before we were in the OS!

Nowadays we're often in a higher suite than the PH. But also in my defense, when we were in a B1 this summer on Nautica it no longer seemed as small as it used to -- and that was after a couple of Vistas and an Oceania Suite on Marina. Not that we dined in our room the way we do when in a suite ...

Some things are important to some people that are just NOT that important to others. It's a good thing not all passengers are battling for the same room on board!

Mura

Just booked 7111 for this cruise. I really didn't see a need for anything more, and loved pictures of the larger balcony.

The B3 extended balconies are (IMO) far more desirable than the A or PH choices and far less expensive.

The B3 extended balconies are (IMO) far more desirable than the A or PH choices and far less expensive.

Let me disagree

B3 is probably "far less expensive" than PH but definitely NOT "far more desirable" than PH, IMO. I can see how a B3 is more desirable than A.

I definitely value the extra space in the cabin and bathroom of a PH over a few extra inches on the balcony of an extended B3 (which you may or may not be able to use due to weather and a port intensive itinerary but you'll definitely sleep and shower in your cabin). Also, the extra specialty restaurant reservations and the ability to dine en suite in the PH from the specialties alone make the PH "far more desirable" for me. :)

Let me disagree

B3 is probably "far less expensive" than PH but definitely NOT "far more desirable" than PH, IMO. I can see how a B3 is more desirable than A.

I definitely value the extra space in the cabin and bathroom of a PH over a few extra inches on the balcony of an extended B3 (which you may or may not be able to use due to weather and a port intensive itinerary but you'll definitely sleep and shower in your cabin). Also, the extra specialty restaurant reservations and the ability to dine en suite in the PH from the specialties alone make the PH "far more desirable" for me. :)

For sure a PH is much more desirable for us. Hands down, no question. :):)

Let me disagree

To each his own...

We're sloop sailors. So a B veranda (even without the extended balcony, as would be the case on an R ship) is plenty big enough for us. Also see little need for the bigger closet (or a butler since I've never had a problem getting as many specialty restaurant reservations as we've desired). We don't eat breakfast and, at home, we "dine in privacy" on most nights.

Of course, others do love having a PH.

BTW, the B3 balcony difference is feet not inches - enough room for two loungers plus the regular chairs/table.

Believe me, I would take a PH in a heartbeat if it was in my budget! I too would prefer more room in the cabin and the bathroom, as well as other perks offered, but the B3 cost is more in my comfort level, especially since we will be adding extra days before and after the cruise. We were originally booked on Celebrity, so I'm just happy we will have the opportunity to try O.

We're doing a slight variation of this cruise, on the Marina, in the Fall. It's far to hot (and humid in Venice) in July to fully enjoy that cruise, imo, that time of the year. Once you go ashore, it will get real hot, real fast. This will make it harder on your parents. Plus, that is a busy time (not as bad as August) and everything will be crowded. Look at the near same cruise later in the Fall for max enjoyment.

Have your cake and eat it too.

We were in a PH a few cruises back with a gigantic balcony. It put the B3 extended balcony we sometimes sail to shame. I think it was 7135. We entertained a large group and there was room to spare. Maybe Jim and Stan have a photo!

• 3 weeks later...
I ended up booking a PH3. Couldn't convince myself that I needed the Oceania Suite, especially with no days at sea. Very excited for my first Oceania Cruise though!

I am sure you will have a good time. A penthouse is wonderful.