Arrange private tour!

Winters Gate

So how does one actually get ahold of these people???? Please don't post how great someone is if it's not going to help.

cruise critic and trip advisor. trip advisor has links to their websites and emails. I don't usually use the contact button on the website. I traditionally copy and paste the email address and send an email directly from my regular email.

Ah, reading this thread has made me feel terrific about the private tours I'm arranging for our upcoming trip in May! I've booked both William Templer out of Marseille and Sylvie di Cristo out of Cannes and Monte Carlo.

I appreciate the tips as I am the organizer. I will definitely get the group to gather on ship and depart together. The money part I'm not so sure of. Gather it myself when we meet on board and make one large payment or have each pay their part directly to tour guide? Sounds like people here are saying either way works out.

--Heidi

When we used Sylvie, each couple paid her their portion. It was no problem and usually isn't with many guides. If they prefer I pay as the organizer, I collect it on the van or at the meeting point.

You are in for some great tours :D

• 2 years later...
We have booked a tour to Granada from Malaga with a large Spanish tour company (cannot mention name here).

I'm surprised by your statement that you cannot name the large Spanish tour company. If you go to the Northern Europe and Baltic Port of Call board, a huge percentage of the posts name names and share experiences in great detail (itineraries, prices, specific guides, lunch arrangements, etc.) The moderator's guidance for that board directly says that posters cannot share the name of a tour guide/company spontaneously. However, if another poster directly asks for the name of a guide/company then this prohibition is lifted. (See URL below)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1480220

Post #7 says, "Do you use Viator or other large operators available online or do you have private ones you have found from experience?" That strikes me as sufficient to keep you on the right side of CC policy about naming names.

• 1 month later...

I used PayPal to arrange payment when I organized a snorkel trip for 28 (with waiting list) on the Great Barrier Reef. The company required 1/2 early deposit and 1/2 final payment a week ahead of the date, thru credit card, bank draft, etc. I had everyone send two timed payments to my PayPal account, and then I used credit card to make the deposit and final payments. Everyone was cooperative with payments, even with the small PayPal fees for international transfers--still a good price compared to ship's offerings.

You with experience in arranging private tours, how do you do with payment and how are you sure that everyone shows up as decided?

I would like to arrange a tour in Rome for the summer, with 6-8 people to get the price down a bit, but am worried to stand there and only a few people show up and there will be problems with the price you have promised!

Those of you who are experienced do you have any good tips?

Go to romeinlimodotcom and post your tour with them and people from your ship can join if you post on your roll call board.RIL is a fantastic private tour company We used them all over Italy and had great service each timeRIL will collect money from each cruiser

As they say, there are no guarantees. However, I have set up quite a number of private tours (and joined others). I've never been stiffed by anyone. On occasion some participants have had to cancel, but always in time to find a replacement.

I have very occasionally heard of problems -- someone didn't have the "cash" and said "I'll give it to you on board" and then just didn't. But when I say occasionally, I mean occasionally. Another problem can be when you are to pay in local currency rather than dollars, and someone is unaware that Canadians don't want U.S. dollars. So be sure your participants are aware of what amounts are to be paid and in what currency.

To avoid these problems I try to book tours that don't require a deposit before hand. On those times when a deposit was required it is refundable.

But it does depend on the guide's requirements.

Mura

In this modern age of social media, if someone gets screwed, the word gets out fast. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!

That said, deposits are the norm in many world locations. Use PayPal rather than credit cards.

Some great tour providers in unusual locations: Sicily with Mario, Hellenic Tours (Athens), Easter Island Travel, Leo Cuzmar (Santiago and Valpo)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That said, deposits are the norm in many world locations. Use PayPal rather than credit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I tend to use CC for a number of reasons over PayPal (miles, protections, politics, etc).

Does PayPal provide the same protection as many CCs do in case of problems?

Go to romeinlimodotcom and post your tour with them and people from your ship can join if you post on your roll call board.RIL is a fantastic private tour company We used them all over Italy and had great service each timeRIL will collect money from each cruiser

The OP asked this 2 yrs ago so I am sure they have found what they were looking for