Navigator malfunctions NYC to Montreal Oct. 18-29, 2015

Has anyone heard what, if anything, Regent is going to do for the passengers on this cruise for the ship malfunctions we encountered--the 1-1/2 hour power outage in the middle of the St. Lawrence River en route to Quebec City that had some passengers very worried and the gangway malfunction in Quebec City that left passengers waiting in the cruise ship terminal for a length of time (the length of time depended on when your excursion returned to the cruise ship terminal--some people waited longer than others.)

Edited by ChocolatePirate

Sorry you had those disruptions, ChocolatePirate. I hope you hear answers that satisfy.

When you have a chance, and if you feel like it, I hope you'll post some comments about the itinerary. It's one that I'm beginning to look at for 2016, and I'm curious to know whether you much enjoyed the cruise other than the unfortunate glitches. Were there any ports/excursions that were a disappointment? Which were your favorite ports/excursions?

Thank you.

I doubt if Regent will do anything other than to apologize for the delay. Things happen that cause delays and the delay did not cause real harm -- just some lengthy waits. We have waited in the theater for 2 hours to go on an excursion due to various issues. It is concerning that the Navigator has electricity issues again (it hasn't for several years but this used to be quite common). IMO, the most important thing is for Regent to get the electricity fixed.

Hope you are enjoying your cruise other than the delays.

Edited by Travelcat2

Agree with Travelcat2. Forget about any compensation for these issues. The most you can expect is an apology. We along with about 200 others were stuck on the dock in the hot sun for over an hour because of tender issues. Some elderly people were getting really ill from the heat. No compensation.

Sorry to hear about the issues you experienced. Currently on the Navigator now and all is well so far. We were delayed out of Montreal due to gusts and the need for a tugboat. I wrote a little about it in the Roll Call. Just got back on board from a lovely day in Quebec City.

The power outage wasn't just an inconvenience. We were in the middle of the St. Lawrence River without power--we were without electricity and the ship was not moving at all. I'd classify that as more than a delay. There was a woman stuck in the elevator for the duration and several people in wheel chairs who could not get to their suite because their wheel chairs could not go up the stairs--is there no handicap ramp on the ship? The crew was just as clueless as the passengers as to what happened when they were asked. When the outage first happened I stepped out of our suite and walked toward the elevator. A crew member came running down the stairs shouting "There's nothing to be concerned about," and kept running--there is something about someone running and shouting that isn't very convincing that nothing is wrong. There were intermittent "the engineers are working on it" announcements. Although the outage happened in the afternoon, it could have just as well have happened at night.

The whole situation makes me wonder what Regent's emergency protocol is in situations such as this one--if there is an emergency protocol.

Edited by ChocolatePirate

What was the temperature? Was the woman in the elevator in danger of heat stroke?

I'd much rather be in the middle of a river than the middle of an ocean.

And gangways do sometimes malfunction.

I love cruising, particularly Regent, but you have to be realistic. You are on a boat. Things happen. An hour and a half seems so small, not really worth mentioning. About 7 or 8 years ago we were on a b2b in Alaska when the Mariner broke down in Vancouver. We were delayed until the next day. When we left Vancouver, we had to go out in the ocean because of issues in the Inside Passage from the delay. We missed the first port, Ketchikan I believe, and there was a dense fog offshore. We spent two days in the fog with a visibility of about 300 feet. The only thing we saw for those days was a pod of Orcas. My family really did not mind all that much because we had come south and were on a 14 day cruise, but think about the passengers on a 7 day cruise. Everyone on the ship received a $500 future cruise credit. It was almost worse than nothing. This is just a risk you take when you cruise.

A couple of years ago as we embarked on the Voyager, we entered one of the glass enclosed elevators on our way up to lunch - it got stuck between the 5th and 6th floor and there we stood for close to one hour, as people were running around all over the place trying to decide what to do. We became a spectacle as when the other passengers embarked, they all waved at us. Throughout the entire cruise we were known as the "elevator ladies".

The interesting part of the entire scenario is that whoever came over to inspect the situation, inquired as to our suite number, as if somehow that would make any difference in the matter. This happened over and over.

That night after dinner there was an apology note signed by the CD, which we thought was a strange person to be issuing an apology for a mechanical breakdown.

gnomie :)

I love cruising, particularly Regent, but you have to be realistic. You are on a boat. Things happen. An hour and a half seems so small, not really worth mentioning. About 7 or 8 years ago we were on a b2b in Alaska when the Mariner broke down in Vancouver. We were delayed until the next day. When we left Vancouver, we had to go out in the ocean because of issues in the Inside Passage from the delay. We missed the first port, Ketchikan I believe, and there was a dense fog offshore. We spent two days in the fog with a visibility of about 300 feet. The only thing we saw for those days was a pod of Orcas. My family really did not mind all that much because we had come south and were on a 14 day cruise, but think about the passengers on a 7 day cruise. Everyone on the ship received a $500 future cruise credit. It was almost worse than nothing. This is just a risk you take when you cruise.

I was on that cruise as well, believe it was in 2009. But the FCC is better than nothing.

I am not quite sure of the reason for this thread.

Presumably ChocolatePirate was on board and has raised his/her specific issues with Regent staff on board.

I am not sure that anyone else can advise with regard to what sounds like minor inconveniences.

Sorry to ChocolatePirate for the difficulties encountered but things happen

Well, the reason for the post was that OP was more than a little miffed about some things that happened on this cruise, and no doubt wanted to vent. He/she also probably genuinely wanted to know what Regent might do in the way of compensation. I don't remember ChocolatePirate on the boards before (I could be mistaken), so she/he may have hoped that more frequent Regent cruisers might be able to shed some light on this sort of situation.

I believe that the reason for the responses and for the thread's continuation is to do exactly that: shed some light on similar things that have happened in the past; offer expressions of some sympathy for the glitches; and also some comment about why OP's hope for serious compensation may be misplaced.

I hope that ChocolatePirate enjoyed most other aspects of the cruise.

I guess we all just want perfection in our lives. We want our homes to be perfect, our kids to be perfect, our careers to be perfect, our vacations to be perfect...

But in reality, life happens whether it's perfect or not. And I'd still rather be on Navigator in the St Lawrence, 90 minute power outage notwithstanding, than sitting in my office dreaming about my next cruise 8 months away.

We've missed ports due to weather and had other minor glitches on past cruises...and we change our plans and move on. My advice is to count your blessings and be thankful you're in a position to be on the boat being pampered.

Just my opinion. But if the OP gets compensation for the power outage, I want compensation for my missed ports. ;)

I don't expect perfection but do like not to embrace additional anxiety.

Navigator has had previous electrical outages also. We were in Key West on the penultimate day of our cruise when they could not get her restarted. This went on for a few hours. The Greyhound buses were ordered. We worried about the confusion of tomorrow's flight/baggage,etc ad schedules. After several hours she started and we were on our way.