How does NCL "nickel and dime" you to death?

#1TravelMom

Well why do so many insist they be tipped like in America.

Because most Americans (not all) aren't as tight-fisted with loose change like coins or a dollar bill like Europeans are. It really is a difference of culture and I guess staff prefer Americans over others because many (again, not all) tip on top of the daily $12-13.50 tips / service charges while Europeans remove it and don't seem to the tip in the equal amount or more, of each staff member position / job.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

If NCL were keeping their fares lower I would agree but so far I haven't seen that. CCL was $800 less when we booked with them. I just looked at some Western Carib itineraries for 2/2017 and the Jade out of Tampa comes in at $2271 (mid-ship balcony) with a $25 shore excursion credit and the CCL Glory for a comparable cabin comes in at $1791 with $50 obc. That $500 difference may not matter to some but it is enough to sway my choice.

But, you're forgetting that if the base fare price drops after final payment especially for sailing during the school year like February - NCL will give a free/low cost room upgrade (in your example, from balcony to minisuite or a suite) or OBC. Even before the final payment, they will rebook it to the low price and if there's any new better promos, they will added it on - No questions asked.

Carnival? You better make sure it's not a Early Saver deal and/or happy with that price.....

But, you're forgetting that if the base fare price drops after final payment especially for sailing during the school year like February - NCL will give a free/low cost room upgrade (in your example, from balcony to minisuite or a suite) or OBC. Even before the final payment, they will rebook it to the low price and if there's any new better promos, they will added it on - No questions asked.

Carnival? You better make sure it's not a Early Saver deal and/or happy with that price.....

I'm not forgetting anything;). From what I've read NCL's response to price drops is sporadic at best and I've never been able to discern a coherent response to them. Yes, on CCL that is an Early Saver fare and I am aware of the restrictions, but with that fare I am guaranteed to receive all price drops up to 48 hours prior to sailing.

The point is it's that base fare at booking that is going to cause me to book a cruise, not being hopeful that a better promo will come along or the price will drop or that I might receive an upgrade. I book a cabin I like at an acceptable price. Anything after that is gravy.

All cruise lines do that. Carnival is just an exception with their Early Saver Rate.

Wasn't this what started the low life statement? This person seems to have felt dis'd like someone was saying Carnival cruisers weren't tipping but the original point was that NCL was making the tipping mandatory and not about whether Carnival cruisers were not doing something. Am I right? Text messages can suck. They are not always as plain as we think.

The tip has always been mandatory, but most cruise lines roll it up into the cost of the specialty charge. NCL adds it to the cost of the specialty charge. If, for example, Princess says their steakhouse is $25 per person, then its $25 per person, tip included. If NCL says their restaurant is $25 per person, the actual cost is $29.50 per person.

Thank you, that's exactly what was inferred. Especially with the tone these boards have taken on lately. If that wasn't the respondents intent, my apologies.

I agree with you on that one. I think it was obvious they were trying to insult Carnival passengers. It makes no sense though because the 2 cruise lines attract the exact same demographic.

The tip has always been mandatory, but most cruise lines roll it up into the cost of the specialty charge. NCL adds it to the cost of the specialty charge. If, for example, Princess says their steakhouse is $25 per person, then its $25 per person, tip included. If NCL says their restaurant is $25 per person, the actual cost is $29.50 per person.

I agree with you on that one. I think it was obvious they were trying to insult Carnival passengers. It makes no sense though because the 2 cruise lines attract the exact same demographic.

Yes, I saw that. Sometimes you even have to call the NCL phone line to get the full price. The site is always trying to make it look like a lesser price. As soon as you go to book it then the real added fees show up. I was going to book the Cirque Dreams show dinner without the specialty pkg and it was about $100/person without the upcharge. The same show dinner with it as one of my specialty pkg dinners was just the upcharge. A four day specialty pkg was about $80/person. Price wrangling can be tough on a budget.

Yep, that is saying what I said, but using different words. Glad we both agree that the cruise lines know what they are doing, and know why they are doing it. :D

Obviously I didn't read your entire post . . . guess I missed the last sentence.

That reason actually makes a little more sense.

Unless the room service took way too long to get to the room and that's why they fell asleep. But wouldn't there be a call to the stateroom if no answer at the door? Should be like Dominos! LOL free if you wait longer than a half hour.

Unless the room service took way too long to get to the room and that's why they fell asleep. But wouldn't there be a call to the stateroom if no answer at the door? Should be like Dominos! LOL free if you wait longer than a half hour.

They might've fell asleep because they'd had too much to drink in which case they might not hear the phone. It was free until too many people started falling asleep:).

They might've fell asleep because they'd had too much to drink in which case they might not hear the phone. It was free until too many people started falling asleep:).
I've also notice during the day that someone is knocking on doors with room service trays and no one answers. Maybe it took to long to be delivered or they just decided to leave, since the room service was free...who knows.

I've also notice during the day that someone is knocking on doors with room service trays and no one answers. Maybe it took to long to be delivered or they just decided to leave, since the room service was free...who knows.

Could be but with the 24/7 charge on NCL this will probably be reduced also as an unintended benefit.

I suppose it has to be the passengers fault then. Can't be staff. Sounds like someone needs for the passengers to be responsible. We'll never know who's at fault. If only top staff would look for a solution. Other than charge more.

No offense, if $7.95 plus 18% autotips on top doesn't make one rethink or reconsider ordering room service - Nothing will. Just because one's on vacation on a cruise ship doesn't mean you leave your common sense nor absolve you of personal responsibility to yourself or your money.

Go right ahead and blame them for 'not' delivering when people decide to go asleep and/or forgot- in the end, the $7.95 total delivery and cleanup is on the person/room that ordered, not NCL.

No offense, if $7.95 plus 18% autotips on top doesn't make one rethink or reconsider ordering room service - Nothing will. Just because one's on vacation on a cruise ship doesn't mean you leave your common sense nor absolve you of personal responsibility to yourself or your money.

Go right ahead and blame them for 'not' delivering when people decide to go asleep and/or forgot- in the end, the $7.95 total delivery and cleanup is on the person/room that ordered, not NCL.

Actually what we were discussing in our little sidebar was the $4.95 charge NCL had in place for late night orders prior to the $7.95 charge. It is my understanding that the $4.95 charge was implemented on NCL (and several other lines) to cut down on the undeliverable orders because of passengers falling asleep (for whatever reason).

Actually what we were discussing in our little sidebar was the $4.95 charge NCL had in place for late night orders prior to the $7.95 charge. It is my understanding that the $4.95 charge was implemented on NCL (and several other lines) to cut down on the undeliverable orders because of passengers falling asleep (for whatever reason).

Still - if a fee of any amount doesn't make you think twice and/or have a sobering thought about ordering room service and being charged to your credit card / onboard account, nothing will.

Edited by maywell