How does NCL "nickel and dime" you to death?

#1TravelMom

Just shows that what some people are saying about the gratuities being a hidden charge is incorrect. The beverage package is free, the gratuities are not. If one doesn't want to pay the gratuities, they can either pick another perk or pick no perk.

And once again, the question was...what does NCL charge for that other lines don't. Several other lines do not charge the gratuity on the free package. That's the subject here, not whether or not its a hidden charge.

I answered your post and mine also go deleted.

No idea why.

Probably because other posters answered the repeated question the 1st few times. (what you answered was like the 3rd or 4th one he asked - again). Guess these posts and the replies will be deleted as well, since he asked, AGAIN....

Really? How many different ways can people answer the same question- when you see a 'free' ad, look for the disclaimers /limits /T&C because its not really 'free'. Even the 'free' drinks without service charges/tips has limits - you can only get X amount per day, no sharing, can't have 2 glasses within X amount of time, etc. [emoji57] Sheesh....

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Yep! And don't you just love all the dining options they provide. ;)

Yes, I love their complimentary and specialty dining options - lots of choices to choose from for lunch and dinner. Don't have to dine in the same restaurant each night, literally can eat at a different one without repeating for like 14 days. Not that expensive either, pretty dirt cheap with or without the dining package.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

And once again, the question was...what does NCL charge for that other lines don't. Several other lines do not charge the gratuity on the free package. That's the subject here, not whether or not its a hidden charge.
One poster continually brought up on this thread that NCL has fraudulent advertising because they say that the UBP and UDP are free without out mentioning that they will be charged the gratuity and another poster posted that they were advised about it when they booked their cruise and I just re-pointed out that the charge was not hidden. Sorry if it offended you, but I was within the parameters of the discussion...maybe you should have told the person who brought up the fraudulent advertising that they were off topic. Edited by NLH Arizona

One poster continually brought up on this thread that NCL has fraudulent advertising because they say that the UBP and UDP are free without out mentioning that they will be charged the gratuity and another poster posted that they were advised about it when they booked their cruise and I just re-pointed out that the charge was not hidden. Sorry if it offended you, but I was within the parameters of the discussion...maybe you should have told the person who brought up the fraudulent advertising that they were off topic.

You brought up me. Yes, on Thursday I was told that if I took the $50 perk for specialty dining that I would have to pay gratuity on that.

I was also gifted $66 cdn on board spending because somehow the agent just knew that I was a Miami Dolphin fan. ;):)

You brought up me. Yes, on Thursday I was told that if I took the $50 perk for specialty dining that I would have to pay gratuity on that.

I was also gifted $66 cdn on board spending because somehow the agent just knew that I was a Miami Dolphin fan. ;):)

Great gift, there is nothing better than some onboard credit!:) Cagney's is great, if you get a chance try it. What is funny is that even with the 18% gratuity added, Cagney's is the same price as Carnival's steakhouse and they don't add the gratuity. Edited by NLH Arizona

I don't know, when I see those in the mail, they go right to the recycle bin.

Are you saying they are fraudulent, but haven't checked to make that determination ??? The reason I asked is because I have checked and find that some of those offers contain the same caveats as NCL's "free" offers.

How do you determine which is legit ?

Edited by swedish weave

Great gift, there is nothing better than some onboard credit!:) Cagney's is great, if you get a chance try it. What is funny is that even with the 18% gratuity added, Cagney's is the same price as Carnival's steakhouse and they don't add the gratuity.

Carnival does include the gratuity.

I didn't see it listed. Before NCL added the 18% gratuity to the cost, a lot of us passengers would leave a tip (either cash, in my case, or add it to the bill) - maybe passengers on Carnival don't do this.

Remember, the specialty restaurants before this year, were part of the DSC on NCL - So people had a choice to tip more on top or leave nothing. Now that specialty restaurants are not part of DSC, and are paid the same way as bartenders - they get an automatic 18% tip/service charge for each person they serve that has signed off on the receipt.

I didn't see it listed. Before NCL added the 18% gratuity to the cost, a lot of us passengers would leave a tip (either cash, in my case, or add it to the bill) - maybe passengers on Carnival don't do this.

Yes, we low life passengers on Carnival do usually add to the the gratuity in the steakhouse even though the gratuity is part of the price.:rolleyes:

Yes, we low life passengers on Carnival do usually add to the the gratuity in the steakhouse even though the gratuity is part of the price.:rolleyes:
Who, other than you, called anyone a low life?:rolleyes: Since I've never cruised on Carnival, how would I know if it is custom to leave a tip at the specialty restaurants on their ships. Edited by NLH Arizona

I know what I wrote, I said maybe passengers on carnival don't do this. Meaning maybe they don't leave an extra tip, since the gratuity is included in the cost.

Not to worry. I knew exactly what you meant. It was not an insult in any way, just an innocent query about what the procedure is on Carnival.

Edited by SantaFeFan

Wasn't this what started the low life statement? This person seems to have felt dis'd like someone was saying Carnival cruisers weren't tipping but the original point was that NCL was making the tipping mandatory and not about whether Carnival cruisers were not doing something. Am I right? Text messages can suck. They are not always as plain as we think.

Remember, the specialty restaurants before this year, were part of the DSC on NCL - So people had a choice to tip more on top or leave nothing. Now that specialty restaurants are not part of DSC, and are paid the same way as bartenders - they get an automatic 18% tip/service charge for each person they serve that has signed off on the receipt.

What is DSC?

What is DSC?

Daily Service Charges, that's what NCL calls the automatically 'tips / gratuities" added to the onboard accounts that covers the room steward, waiters in the complimentary dining like the MDR, and behind the scenes staff. It used to cover specialty dining as well but NCL change that earlier this year when they raised the DSC the 1st time around and added a 18% auto tip / service charge to specialty restaurants.

Edited by maywell