How does NCL "nickel and dime" you to death?

#1TravelMom

Sherilyn70

<snip>

Carnival and RCL absolutely do charge for a second entrée though. Maybe some of the higher priced lines like princess haven't adopted this policy yet. But it is true on multiple lines. I'll check HAL policy when we dine in the pinnacle at the end of the month.

[/Quote]

In Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships, you can order multiple appetizers, sides and desserts but if you want more than one entrée, you are charged extra.

Edited by sail7seas

In Pinnacle Grill on HAL ships, you can order multiple appetizers, sides and desserts but if you want more than one entrée, you are charged extra.

Thanks. So that matches the policies for Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Now I'm curious as to which cruise lines actually do allow a second entree.

I'm curious who could want two entrees in any of the alternative restaurants that serve so many courses. The portions are so ample and most of the steakhouses serve a very large portion. If any one could actually eat more than one, wow........ :)

I'm curious who could want two entrees in any of the alternative restaurants that serve so many courses. The portions are so ample and most of the steakhouses serve a very large portion. If any one could actually eat more than one, wow........ :)

Not all portions are large. It depends on the food item. Every once in a while I am served something that is especially tasty, better than anywhere else I have ever had it. On occasion, I will ask for more of what is often a rare example of pure excellence - just like I would at the Thanksgiving table at home. ;)

I have never been told I had to pay extra for it. Celebrity and Disney are the lines that I have had such an experience.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I will not cruise NCL again - tired of being "nickel and dimed" to death. I just read this for the 3rd time this week.

We are late 40's - two daughters 26 and 11 years old. They always travel with us. We have been on 50+ cruises with all major lines. We have been on all types of ships from Carnival Imagination to RCCL Oasis and Allure. We always travel on a budget and are careful with our spending. I think all cruise lines have begun to charge additional amounts for items that used to be complimentary. We were recently on the Getaway and I know NCL started charging for room service. Other than that, I'm really confused about what NCL charges for that other lines do not???

Just for reference, I looked up a 1999, 6-night cruise we took on the imagination(16 years ago). It was $584 per person. A comparable cruise today for the same week is within a few dollars. Just my opinion, but I think cruising remains to be a tremendous value.

I rarely start new posts - but I'm just curious to see what people think.

I used to defend NCL against the charge that they nickeled and dimed people because they didn't charge for anything more than any other line. Since Del Rio took over that is no longer the case- they charge a room service delivery fee around the clock, the specialty restaurants are going to a la carte pricing, etc. Del Rio even announced in one of his interviews that they raised the price of soda 20 cents, not because of increasing costs, but because the passengers are a captive audience and will buy the soda anyway.

The drink under the package term is free - not the service AKA the bartender making it. Know the difference....:rolleyes:

Roll your eyes all you want. You're the one spinning the topic. The question was:

Other than that, I'm really confused about what NCL charges for that other lines do not???

Roll your eyes all you want. You're the one spinning the topic. The question was:

And no told you to pick the drink package while not reading the fine print - Not really my problem or situation you got 'nickel & dimed' on a nickel & dime/ pay extra item, which is what drinks not included in base fare are. :rolleyes:

So yes, I can roll my eyes all I want at some people discussing here because I purposely didn't pick the 2 out of 4 promos that cost extra anyway. Or maybe I just too smart in knowing that when I see an asterisk* next to word in marketing /ads/promos, to go see what the real terms & conditions / disclaimers / limits are. :rolleyes:

*and supposedly I'm 'less experienced' than some of posters here, who claim to know 'everything' whose red flags didn't go off in seeing a 'too good to be true' promo at a "budget" cruise line. :rolleyes:

And no told you to pick the drink package while not reading the fine print - Not really my problem or situation you got 'nickel & dimed' on a nickel & dime/ pay extra item, which is what drinks not included in base fare are. :rolleyes:

So yes, I can roll my eyes all I want at some people discussing here because I purposely didn't pick the 2 out of 4 promos that cost extra anyway. Or maybe I just too smart in knowing that when I see an asterisk* next to word in marketing /ads/promos, to go see what the real terms & conditions / disclaimers / limits are. :rolleyes:

*and supposedly I'm 'less experienced' than some of posters here, who claim to know 'everything' whose red flags didn't go off in seeing a 'too good to be true' promo at a "budget" cruise line. :rolleyes:

Are you doing this on purpose, or do you really not understand the topic of this thread? :confused:

I may be a little off topic, but let me try some simple math to show you some reality.

Please don't dispute my numbers because you can use your own set of numbers to fit your situation.

I pay between three and four dollars for a 750 mil bottle of Beringers wine that sells on the ship for $27.50. By the glass, I assume it is around ten dollars.

You select the FREE UBP (or buyit) and NCL charges you 18 percent for using it.

If they get three glasses of wine from a bottle at ten dollars a glass, you pay five dollars and 40 cents in "gratuities. That more than covers the cost of the wine and the service, and I am certain that NCL can buy the wine for a lot less than I can.

Does this make sense, or does it sink in ???

Edited by swedish weave

I may be a little off topic, but let me try some simple math to show you some reality.

Please don't dispute my numbers because you can use your own set of numbers to fit your situation.

I pay between three and four dollars for a 750 mil bottle of Beringers wine that sells on the ship for $27.50. By the glass, I assume it is around ten dollars.

If they get three glasses of wine from a bottle at ten dollars a glass, you pay five dollars and 40 cents in "gratuities. That more than covers the cost of the wine and the service, and I am certain that NCL can buy the wine for a lot less than I can.

You misunderstand how NCL handles the tip/service charge on the UBP.

YOu are also attempting to distort the meaning of my post. They advertise the item as FREE, but add charges if you use it.

The service charge is customary in any bar. If a bartender gives you a free drink at a bar, do you not tip. The drink is free, the tip is customary. If you got a free haircut from your barber, would you not tip? If a restaurant promoted the meal 'on the house' would you not tip? Personally if I did not, my mother's ghost would haunt me for days for being so cheap.

The service charge is customary in any bar. If a bartender gives you a free drink at a bar, do you not tip. The drink is free, the tip is customary. If you got a free haircut from your barber, would you not tip? If a restaurant promoted the meal 'on the house' would you not tip? Personally if I did not, my mother's ghost would haunt me for days for being so cheap.

I think you missed the point also. The topic of this thread is what does NCL charge for that other lines don't. Other cruise lines include the gratuity with their beverage and dining packages.

Doesn't matter. It's charged on all ships.

I asked the question because I do not think we had service charge with our UDP on Dawn this summer.

I asked why would we not? Was it because we were in Suites? Was it because of date we booked the cruise or was it because they are not regularly charging it?

I asked the question because I do not think we had service charge with our UDP on Dawn this summer.

I asked why would we not? Was it because we were in Suites? Was it because of date we booked the cruise or was it because they are not regularly charging it?

I think the deals on offer state that suites do not have to pay the Service Charge. It is getting so convoluted that it confirms my decision to give up on NCL for the near future. Frankly, I cannot be bothered to try to keep track of all of their shenanigans with their various up-charges.

When they settle down from their constantly changing charges then we might consider them again. JMHO.

I sailed Princess and Celebrity about 5 or 6 times, years ago. I sailed RCI once and Carnival (sort of). I have sailed HAL over 80 cruises.

This summer, for a variety of reasons, I sailed NCL for the first time. The experience far exceeded my expectations. I found the ship more comfortable than I envisioned, the service very good, the food good to very good in most venues, excellent cabin and dining stewards, decorating was really my taste but the ship was clean.

I never felt I was being nagged to purchase, spend, or in any way nagged to leave more money aboard. Maybe I was able to tune it out or ignore it but I truly did not feel obliged to tip over the auto-billed tips, though I almost always wrote an added tip on all beverage tabs and when we signed a slip for an alternative restaurant, I always added a tip but that was my choice.

I grant that it made a difference that I was a solo in a Penthouse cabin but nevertheless I was as satisfied with my cabin accommodation/service on NCL as I am in my suites on HAL.

I never thought I would be as satisfied with that cruise as I was.

I can't agree enough! We sailed RCCL and NCL within weeks of each other. My expectations of NCL were, shall we say, extremely modest, especially given that the price was miniscule and several perks were included - UBP being one of them. I was shocked :eek: - yes, shocked at the attentive service and the excellent quality of the food and variety (novelty even) of the dining venues, among which the FREE MDR's were some of the best. It simply blew RCCL away. I'm not sure if I will rush to book NCL again anytime soon, but if I don't, it WON'T be because they don't compete favorably against the other main stream lines. They certainly do and I will not hesitate to recommend them.

As for the original question of nickels-and-dimes, there are a few issues that come to mind and that irksome room service fee tops the list. We tend to be cruisers who DO avail of many of the for-fee services on board and knowingly do so at our own discretion. I found NCL's fee for day use of the Thermal Suite to be higher than either RCCL or Princess. There was also a fee for bowling (on our particular ship), which is an NCL exclusive, but similar activities like surf-boarding or ice skating on RCCL is free.

Edited by ronandannette

You're forgetting an important detail - the service charges/ gratuities / tips for the alcoholic beverage package in question (plus the dining and soda packages as well) are stated in dollar amount on the Terms and conditions popup in the promo website by clicking it. For example a 7 day / 6 night cruise is $69.12 per person in total for the trip - divide that by either 7 or 6 (x the # of days/nights of the trip) and amount a person needs to drink to 'break even' for picking the promo is about 9-12 drinks for the week.

Again, its not "nickel & diminig" when 1) the information is presented on the official website that you have to click on , thus making one aware there's a disclaimer on the 'free' before boarding the ship and 2) there's 4 promos to choose from, 2 of which one doesn't have to pay service charges / tips/ gratuities or even the difference before or after the trip (especially one that depending on the port stops). Its call 'not paying attention to the fine print", especially when those service charges / tip for 2 of the promos have to paid along with the basic fare by final payment anyway. :rolleyes:

And unlike you, I'm bit more nicer to present where I got the information from, instead of playing "I'm almighty, you do the homework" game all the time:rolleyes::

Guest Gratuities Per Person

Nights Speciality Dining Ultimate Beverage Soda Package

3 $10.62 $34.56 $3.51

4 $10.62 $46.08 $4.68

5 $10.62 $57.60 $5.85

6 $10.62 $69.12 $7.02

7 $13.32 $80.64 $8.19

8 $13.32 $92.16 $9.36

9 $13.32 $103.68 $10.53

10 $16.02 $115.20 $11.70

11 $16.02 $126.72 $12.87

12 $18.72 $138.24 $14.04

13 $18.72 $149.76 $15.21

14 $18.72 $161.28 $16.38

15 $18.72 $172.80 $17.55

16 $18.72 $184.32 $18.72

(I copy and paste directly from the table, so it going to look garbled in the post for a better look - http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15.

Scroll all the way down under the video and its the blue "Terms & Conditions" under it.)

Oh, I don't know - why don't you go to the cruise line official website in question, look at the promo/ad he's claiming is 'free'; figure out if he's telling the truth or not. Then look or scroll down and see if you can find the 'Terms & Conditions' aka the disclaimer which is similar to the medical pill /device /treatment commercial on TV except its on a webpage. Not to hard to do, right?

edit - I didn't realize not reading the fine print of an promo to see if there any additional charges/fees or limits to what one is able to get was 'nickel & diming'. I guess like paying attention and knowing as much as possible so I'm not bite in the tush while I'm on a trip - whether its a cruise or land.:rolleyes:

Maywell, I just want to make sure there wasn't any confusion about who I was referring to when I mentioned a certain poster interjecting insults into the discussion. It was not you. It was that person who plays the "I'm almighty, you do the homework" game all the time, and includes condescending comments in almost every post he makes.

Are we good?

Edited by sloopsailor

I will not cruise NCL again - tired of being "nickel and dimed" to death. I just read this for the 3rd time this week.

We are late 40's - two daughters 26 and 11 years old. They always travel with us. We have been on 50+ cruises with all major lines. We have been on all types of ships from Carnival Imagination to RCCL Oasis and Allure. We always travel on a budget and are careful with our spending. I think all cruise lines have begun to charge additional amounts for items that used to be complimentary. We were recently on the Getaway and I know NCL started charging for room service. Other than that, I'm really confused about what NCL charges for that other lines do not???

Just for reference, I looked up a 1999, 6-night cruise we took on the imagination(16 years ago). It was $584 per person. A comparable cruise today for the same week is within a few dollars. Just my opinion, but I think cruising remains to be a tremendous value.

I rarely start new posts - but I'm just curious to see what people think.

I agree with you....it is the same on every cruiseline, not just NCL. We love to cruise and will continue to do so on any cruiseline.

It doesn't matter what you do or what I do. What matters is that NCL offers something FREE and adds charges if you use it.

You're forgetting an important detail - the service charges/ gratuities / tips for the alcoholic beverage package in question (plus the dining and soda packages as well) are stated in dollar amount on the Terms and conditions popup in the promo website by clicking it. For example a 7 day / 6 night cruise is $69.12 per person in total for the trip - divide that by either 7 or 6 (x the # of days/nights of the trip) and amount a person needs to drink to 'break even' for picking the promo is about 9-12 drinks for the week.

Again, its not "nickel & diminig" when 1) the information is presented on the official website that you have to click on , thus making one aware there's a disclaimer on the 'free' before boarding the ship and 2) there's 4 promos to choose from, 2 of which one doesn't have to pay service charges / tips/ gratuities or even the difference before or after the trip (especially one that depending on the port stops). Its call 'not paying attention to the fine print", especially when those service charges / tip for 2 of the promos have to paid along with the basic fare by final payment anyway. :rolleyes:

And unlike you, I'm bit more nicer to present where I got the information from, instead of playing "I'm almighty, you do the homework" game all the time:rolleyes::

Guest Gratuities Per Person

Nights Speciality Dining Ultimate Beverage Soda Package

3 $10.62 $34.56 $3.51

4 $10.62 $46.08 $4.68

5 $10.62 $57.60 $5.85

6 $10.62 $69.12 $7.02

7 $13.32 $80.64 $8.19

8 $13.32 $92.16 $9.36

9 $13.32 $103.68 $10.53

10 $16.02 $115.20 $11.70

11 $16.02 $126.72 $12.87

12 $18.72 $138.24 $14.04

13 $18.72 $149.76 $15.21

14 $18.72 $161.28 $16.38

15 $18.72 $172.80 $17.55

16 $18.72 $184.32 $18.72

(I copy and paste directly from the table, so it going to look garbled in the post for a better look - http://www.ncl.com/promo/wave15.

Scroll all the way down under the video and its the blue "Terms & Conditions" under it.)

A lot of talk, but it doesn't explain why all the ads say FREE when it is not.