How does NCL "nickel and dime" you to death?

#1TravelMom

Daily Service Charges, that's what NCL calls the automatically 'tips / gratuities" added to the onboard accounts that covers the room steward, waiters in the complimentary dining like the MDR, and behind the scenes staff. It used to cover specialty dining as well but NCL change that earlier this year when they raised the DSC the 1st time around and added a 18% auto tip / service charge to specialty restaurants.

Is the problem with the gratuity now charged at specialty restaurants the fact that it happened or the way that it happened?

Is the problem with the gratuity now charged at specialty restaurants the fact that it happened or the way that it happened?

Personally, I honestly don't care because most of specialty restaurants cover charge comes under $5 a person a tip, less than what I normally tip. And when it goes to a la carte, the bill and tip for me will be alot less since I can't eat a full 3 course meal anymore (the food portions in the specialty restaurants on NCL are pretty big). There's still the specialty dining package (SDP) for X number of days, that will be the new cover charge for few of the restaurants that will switch to a la carte.

But other people on the NCL forum were complaining in regards that it was not communicated enough, that it was double-tipping, that the DSC was to high (at the time of the 1st raise), blah blah. Doesn't seem to stop alot people from sailing on NCL and eating in specialty restaurants, though. *shrug*

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Thought I would post a portion of LMaxwell's review:

I thought I'd address the nickel/dime reputation NCL has and the comments that get thrown around. I hate feeling nickel and dimed. I hate contracting to pay for X, but then being charged Z. Even if something is optional, too many fees or "opportunities" to spend more can feel very off putting.

I'm glad to say I didn't feel nickel and dimed on NCL. Yes, there are the same opportunities to spend more for extra services that exist on ALL the cruise lines. And yes, the Sky doesn't have as many features and amenities as the biggest ships so maybe it's not as "in your face", but I felt like everything that was included is the basis of what makes a cruise a cruise and never felt like sales were being hawked in my face or that there was ever pressure to spend money for things we didn't want. It a dramatic talking point on the boards that didn't play out in reality. I *may* feel differently after sailing the Escape because there is more "everything" but at least for the Sky I did not have that feeling of nickel/dime and believe me, it is a feeling I HATE and a prime reason I avoid Disney/Theme Parks. So...myth busted.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268105&page=2

Thought I would post a portion of LMaxwell's review:

There really is no need to justify your opinion by posting other people's reviews. Anyone could easily re-post comments made to the contrary as well. If you don't feel NCL nickel and dimed any more than other lines, fine. There's nothing wrong with having your own cruising preferences. On the other hand, going to such great lengths to defend a corporation is a little odd though.

Personally, I think it's both. The fact that it happened is an example nickel and diming that is unique to NCL.

As for the way that it happened......NCL slapped many of their customers in the face by raising the DSC twice within a few months and then adding this gratuity on top. There were people who booked a year+ out who ended up paying much more than what they originally signed up for. On top of all this, NCL attempted to stop people from taking food out of all venues but there was so much backlash on that one, they rescinded the policy.

As is evident in this thread, some people are not bothered by these changes, but it still doesn't change the facts.

There really is no need to justify your opinion by posting other people's reviews. Anyone could easily re-post comments made to the contrary as well. If you don't feel NCL nickel and dimed any more than other lines, fine. There's nothing wrong with having your own cruising preferences. On the other hand, going to such great lengths to defend a corporation is a little odd though.
Not justifying my opinion at all. Just posting a review from a poster who has recently been on an NCL ship. Feel free to post your own review here on your last NCL cruise to show your opinion on how you were nickeled and dimed. If it is odd that I'm defending a corporation, it is just as odd that one would go to great lengths to attack and defame a corporation.

If it is odd that I'm defending a corporation, it is just as odd that one would go to great lengths to attack and defame a corporation.

I would hardly call answering the op's question "going to great lengths." But whatever....I can see the bashing of NCL offends you, so I'll try to be a little more kind. :)

Actually it was both. NCL has a reputation of not communicating very well and this continued with the announcement of the 18% gratuity and still continues today. Some posters also felt that they were being asked to double dip, even though NCL's wording clearly stated that the DSC included complimentary restaurant servers. Even after this, some posters then felt that NCL was talking the 18% as revenue and not giving it as a gratuity to the specialty restaurant servers. Then NCL added the $7.95 room service charge (continental breakfast between breakfast hours is at no charge). Add to this, that NCL raised the DSC twice in a short period of time. A note on the DSC, NCL gave every customer the opportunity to pay the DSC at the rate that it was when they booked their cruise.

Hey, no one likes an increase, but there are a few choices we have. We can either live with it because there is nothing we can do about it, we can become obsessed with the negativity of it or we can choose another cruise line that more fits the way we want a cruise line to work. There are many of us that have chosen to just live with it and then there are some have major issues with it.

Edited by NLH Arizona

This reminds me of dining in a restaurant in Assisi. A fellow American was having a hissy fit over the included service charge, and I wanted to crawl under the table.

I've calculated that the gratuity on our three night dining package plus the DSC increase amounts to about $50 on our seven night cruise.

I'll spend more on sit-down service for coffee when we spend a few days in Italy after the cruise. We'll spend more on those service charges added to our bill.

I just don't get the uproar. We got a great itinerary at a great price, and we're going in with eyes wide open. Maybe Celebrity didn't add those charges, but we don't care. We can sail these seven days with no worry about extra tips, if we feel so inclined.

We are on vacation. We always tip extra for good service, and *always* tip extra for drinks.

I simply don't understand how some people enjoy their holidays when they fret so over a few extra charges and increases. For us, it's all good, and we enjoy sharing our good fortune. Fact is, we could prepay the DSC and not spend one extra cent onboard. You're nickel and dimed only if you choose to be.

As for the room service charge, watch for other lines to follow NCL. The free style has spread to most lines with the advent of Select/My Time, etc., so why not this. It's minimal compared to charges at many hotels.

Can't wait! 17 days 'til we embark, and I'm back on my beloved Mediterranean.

Ciao! :)

... watch for other lines to follow NCL. The free style has spread to most lines.

Does NCL still use that "Free Style" slogan? Seems with all the changes that have extra charges, the new slogan should be "Pay Style". ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

Does NCL still use that "Free Style" slogan? Seems with all the changes that have extra charges, the new slogan should be "Pay Style". ;)

OK. Look for "Pay Style" to spread.

Over on X, the late night charge for room service is causing quite a stir.

Bottom line, I don't care. Now, if my NCL cruise is a bust, we'll pick another line next time.

.....Over on X, the late night charge for room service is causing quite a stir.......

Well, there is a vast difference between charging $4.95 between 11:00 pm and 6:00 am charging $7.95 24 hours a day! I can understand charging for room service in the middle of the night when hardly anyone uses it, but do not understand charging it in the middle of the day!!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Especially if a meal comes from a complimentary onboard food source. Let us have that freestyle and choose to tip when the comp meal arrives. NCL thinks freestyle means free to pay for what you choose to. You have a choice to not enjoy the cruise with what others can afford to pay for.

I would hardly call answering the op's question "going to great lengths." But whatever....I can see the bashing of NCL offends you, so I'll try to be a little more kind. :)

If bashing a company gets them to listen to your complaint and change back or to something more agreeable then bash on! Many companies set pricing to see if they can make the base price attractive and then pile on these added fees and charges as required to subsidize their low wage practices. You think you are giving a tip when you are actually supplying the pay the company don't give to make it a living wage. I like giving a tip for someone doing a good job or better, not to pay a portion of what the company wants to save for profits.

Personally, I don't mind paying bit extra especially when 1) it's mostly optional/extra services and 2) it mostly keeps certain elements out with $7.95 or $50 etc, sticker shock. No offense, better to read the endless whining and needless complaints on the internet, then have to hear and see it in person while on vacation, especially a cruise ship.

So continue with the badmouthing and bashing online; I know once I get onboard the ship, it pretty much cut down to an minimum or zilch. (Which is exactly what happen last year, before any of the changes started this year - People on the forum were bashing and whining about them then, still bashing and gnashing their teeth now. Yet, get onboard and not a complainer to heard all week along except 2 times at Guest Services, both were on the errors on the 3 people complaining. The wonders of what a 'nickel&diming' reputation can do in keeping certain people out...)

Edited by maywell

Personally, I honestly don't care because most of specialty restaurants cover charge comes under $5 a person a tip, less than what I normally tip. And when it goes to a la carte, the bill and tip for me will be alot less since I can't eat a full 3 course meal anymore (the food portions in the specialty restaurants on NCL are pretty big). There's still the specialty dining package (SDP) for X number of days, that will be the new cover charge for few of the restaurants that will switch to a la carte.

But other people on the NCL forum were complaining in regards that it was not communicated enough, that it was double-tipping, that the DSC was to high (at the time of the 1st raise), blah blah. Doesn't seem to stop alot people from sailing on NCL and eating in specialty restaurants, though. *shrug*

Of course there is a difference between a cruise and buying other products like gasoline, but the gas prices on the pump includes big taxes which are not separated off to make the price look cheaper until you fill your tank and then say we added these other fees because they are not for the gasoline you bought! Take a look at your cable bill and you see how these fees are separated. Some affluent cruisers would never understand how any increase would be met with resistance as their funds allow them to appreciate any increase. I can hear it in their comments that all is good in the Haven.

I will not cruise NCL again - tired of being "nickel and dimed" to death. I just read this for the 3rd time this week.

We are late 40's - two daughters 26 and 11 years old. They always travel with us. We have been on 50+ cruises with all major lines. We have been on all types of ships from Carnival Imagination to RCCL Oasis and Allure. We always travel on a budget and are careful with our spending. I think all cruise lines have begun to charge additional amounts for items that used to be complimentary. We were recently on the Getaway and I know NCL started charging for room service. Other than that, I'm really confused about what NCL charges for that other lines do not???

Just for reference, I looked up a 1999, 6-night cruise we took on the imagination(16 years ago). It was $584 per person. A comparable cruise today for the same week is within a few dollars. Just my opinion, but I think cruising remains to be a tremendous value.

I rarely start new posts - but I'm just curious to see what people think.

The fares might appear to be the same, but some parts of the earlier fare might have all inclusive but the latest might have charges and fees not shown that would almost double the actual cost.

Daily Service Charges, that's what NCL calls the automatically 'tips / gratuities" added to the onboard accounts that covers the room steward, waiters in the complimentary dining like the MDR, and behind the scenes staff. It used to cover specialty dining as well but NCL change that earlier this year when they raised the DSC the 1st time around and added a 18% auto tip / service charge to specialty restaurants.

Thank you.

Rob

Of course there is a difference between a cruise and buying other products like gasoline, but the gas prices on the pump includes big taxes which are not separated off to make the price look cheaper until you fill your tank and then say we added these other fees because they are not for the gasoline you bought! Take a look at your cable bill and you see how these fees are separated. Some affluent cruisers would never understand how any increase would be met with resistance as their funds allow them to appreciate any increase. I can hear it in their comments that all is good in the Haven.

My cable bill is $158.63 plus $11.18 in taxes for a grand total of $169.81. Minded you, I live in NYC and I have 3 packages (preferred cable for 88.73, phone for 19.99 and Internet for 49.99 with $25 discount plus 'free' Wifi - Optimum Cable way better than Verizon Cable, the only other choice I can have in my building). Not the best example to use when New Yorkers in NYC pay the highest in housebills compare to the national average..

It's call 'doing the math' and seeing if any changes or features actually affect your cruise vacation - so far, none really affect me because I got grandfathered twice (well 4 times, next year is 3 week B2B) with the DSC, plus not a heavy drinker or eater. And the shore excursions prices went up $2-10, and my cruise fares went down - worked out better than expected for me, can't say the same for others because 1) it's after Thanksgiving / before Christmas sailings and 2) solo traveler in a studio room with studio perks on Breakaway-class ships.

I guess I'm affluent because I can afford about $2000 each for a 12 day and 3 week respective while not minding to pay extra for extra/nickel&diming stuff.[emoji57]

Edited by maywell

Actually it was both. NCL has a reputation of not communicating very well and this continued with the announcement of the 18% gratuity and still continues today. Some posters also felt that they were being asked to double dip, even though NCL's wording clearly stated that the DSC included complimentary restaurant servers. Even after this, some posters then felt that NCL was talking the 18% as revenue and not giving it as a gratuity to the specialty restaurant servers. Then NCL added the $7.95 room service charge (continental breakfast between breakfast hours is at no charge). Add to this, that NCL raised the DSC twice in a short period of time. A note on the DSC, NCL gave every customer the opportunity to pay the DSC at the rate that it was when they booked their cruise.

Hey, no one likes an increase, but there are a few choices we have. We can either live with it because there is nothing we can do about it, we can become obsessed with the negativity of it or we can choose another cruise line that more fits the way we want a cruise line to work. There are many of us that have chosen to just live with it and then there are some have major issues with it.

Thank you. $8 for room service. My feeling here is that NCL is trying to discourage room service. I would think that it takes far more man power to cook and deliver meals for room service than the buffet so they are pricing it accordingly.

Thank you. $8 for room service. My feeling here is that NCL is trying to discourage room service. I would think that it takes far more man power to cook and deliver meals for room service than the buffet so they are pricing it accordingly.

If the change had been made in an information vacuum maybe that would explain it, but this was instituted very shortly after Del Rio asked if he could get $4 or $5 more per day per passenger so it is more reasonable to conclude that this was designed to increase revenue (not that there is anything inherently wrong with that, but let's call it what it is).

OK. Look for "Pay Style" to spread.

Over on X, the late night charge for room service is causing quite a stir.

NCL didn't start the room service fee. RCI did. A few years ago, RCI started charging $3.95 for room service between midnight and 5 am. Recently, Celebrity followed suite with their $4.95 late night charge. But not to be outdone with a nickel and dime charge, NCL jumped in and took it to the extreme in typical NCL fashion with the 24/7 $7.95 charge.

More like the abuse of ordering to much and not eating it from room service. Really didn't see it on NCL because that how good the complimentary places on the Breakaway are at the time room service was free, but I got to see the aftermath of abuse of in the hallways of the Carnival Splendor - mounds of uneaten food out in the open. And the room stewards not cleaning it up fast enough - Guess, the new CEO of NCL Holding saw it on one of the NCL's ship and was throughly disgust by it all (remember , he was the previous president of Oceania & Regent - 2 upscale lines).

Sure, they reverse the new policies somewhat - the no takeout from anywhere was rescinded and a extremely limited complimentary continental breakfast room service in the AM is now offered along with all-day $7.95 service. But now, if someone orders 'big' and don't eat it all then leaving it all out by the door any other time - it's basically on their dollar, not the cruise line per se for the clean up.

More like the abuse of ordering to much and not eating it from room service. Really didn't see it on NCL because that how good the complimentary places on the Breakaway are at the time room service was free, but I got to see the aftermath of abuse of in the hallways of the Carnival Splendor - mounds of uneaten food out in the open. And the room stewards not cleaning it up fast enough - Guess, the new CEO of NCL Holding saw it on one of the NCL's ship and was throughly disgust by it all (remember , he was the previous president of Oceania & Regent - 2 upscale lines).

Sure, they reverse the new policies somewhat - the no takeout from anywhere was rescinded and a extremely limited complimentary continental breakfast room service in the AM is now offered along with all-day $7.95 service. But now, if someone orders 'big' and don't eat it all then leaving it all out by the door any other time - it's basically on their dollar, not the cruise line per se for the clean up.

Come on. Tell me you don't seriously believe the room service charge is about cleanliness rather than a money grab. If you're that gullible, I've got a bridge to sell you.