How does NCL "nickel and dime" you to death?

#1TravelMom

Nickel-and-diming has nothing to do with whether or not those costs are hidden or obvious. It's about a lot of little, added costs for ordinary things and for things that are typically included (or commonly included with the competitors). It's also not about whether or not one chooses to pay those costs. You could choose not to pay that little bit extra for the mustard or mayo on your sandwich, but it's still nickel and diming for the deli to charge extra for that mustard or mayo.

YES! This.

Nickel-and-diming doesn't relate to hidden costs. It is basically the difference between a line that adds small "nuisance charges" versus one that includes more things at no extra charge.

It makes no difference whether those costs are stated or not. That isn't the issue.

Almost by definition, lines with lower base fares tend to have more "nickel and diming". What's annoying to me are all the sales pitches for these add-on "revenue opportunities." You know -- 18 fliers in your mailbox advertising the spa and the special on-board sales of fine jewelry, the waiters pushing specialty dining or wine tastings, etc.

If someone is so angered or even annoyed with the way a cruise line is running their business, why do they bother with them? Find a vacation that gives you pleasure rather than unpleasantness. For some angry posters to be so disturbed about discretionary spending and doing nothing about it, puzzles me. Book a different cruise line or different style vacation. The loudest message any company gets is in it Profit and Loss Statement.

They are not going to change the way they do business because some posters on an internet forum don't like their system.

If someone is so angered or even annoyed with the way a cruise line is running their business, why do they bother with them? Find a vacation that gives you pleasure rather than unpleasantness. For some angry posters to be so disturbed about discretionary spending and doing nothing about it, puzzles me. Book a different cruise line or different style vacation. The loudest message any company gets is in it Profit and Loss Statement.

They are not going to change the way they do business because some posters on an internet forum don't like their system.

They changed their "no takeaway food from buffet" rule due to Internet blowback. People often post in hopes of change. If you don't like it, you could also not click the thread with obvious titles like "nickel and dime".

Yes, they did reverse that decision but I'm not sure why.

There is no reason to tell me to not click a thread. Obviously I am interested in it or would not have read or posted. My opinion has the same value as everyone/anyone else's.

I clearly did not make my point well enough for it to be understood as meaning there are some people who are so angered about what they consider fraudulent charges, I puzzle why they don't walk away from the cruise line. If the source of vacations and presumably the place for fun and enjoyment causes one to be so angry, why give them any of your time or money?

Edited by sail7seas

There is no reason to tell me to not click a thread. Obviously I am interested in it or would not have read or posted. My opinion has the same value as everyone/anyone else's.

I clearly did not make my point well enough for it to be understood as meaning there are some people who are so angered about what they consider fraudulent charges, I puzzle why they don't walk away from the cruise line. If the source of vacations and presumably the place for fun and enjoyment causes one to be so angry, why give them any of your time or money?

I think they reversed the "no food back to cabin" policy because, one, they knew that there was really no way to enforce it and two, the bad publicity they got from the news media, Facebook and all the travel sites, including Cruise Critic. I would think that not being able to enforce it and the news media were probably the biggest stumbling blocks for them and it looked better if they said they were bowing to what their customers said they wanted on the internet.

I think that those that are "angered" by any of this probably have moved on (and even if they are no longer sailing with NCL they still have the right to express their opinion, do they not?). The rest of us are just calling it the way that we see it. If I do book with NCL it will be with eyes wide open and knowing exactly what to expect:).

It's a fair question and one I have asked on the HAL forum about their smoking policy that seems to anger so many...

A number of answers have been given including: enjoyment of many other things about the line, high status as a past passenger, past good experiences/memories/loyalty to the line, etc.

Edited by cruisemom42

I suppose setting the bar as low as possible is one way to go through life.

On the bright side, with the NCL bar as low as it is, it makes cruising other lines that much better.

Nickel-and-diming has nothing to do with whether or not those costs are hidden or obvious. It's about a lot of little, added costs for ordinary things and for things that are typically included (or commonly included with the competitors). It's also not about whether or not one chooses to pay those costs. You could choose not to pay that little bit extra for the mustard or mayo on your sandwich, but it's still nickel and diming for the deli to charge extra for that mustard or mayo.

Thank you. You get it. Someone always tries to justify nickel and diming by saying "no one is forced to do it." That's about as a dumb of a statement I ever read on CC.

Every cruise line charges for "choice items". No one can be nickeled and dimed unless they allow it. On NCL, no one is forced to have room service, go to a specialty restaurant, have a cocktail, etc. If you don't want to pay the 18% gratuity on the UBP or UDP perk, then decline the perk. It is real easy not to give your money to a business, if you don't believe they should get it. One could cruise nicely without spending a dime, other than the DSC and you can pre-pay that and walk off the ship not owing a nickel or a dime.

I just booked the Escape for next spring and was clearly told that if my choice of perks was for $50 towards specialty dining, I would be charged gratuity on that.

We went in with our eyes open and decided to save money on our cabin and spend money on our dining and entertainment. By choosing an inside cabin we saved $800 over an ocean view room and $1000 total over a balcony. We tend to go between balcony and inside cabins as we like both for different reasons.

So we figure that we have $1000 to spend onboard to equal what we would have spent on a balcony cabin. To us with this attitude and budget we think that we will be able to have the cruise experience that we are looking for within our set budget.

I'm not sure that we would feel the same way if we would have already spent that $1000 just to get on board and have a balcony. That is us though. We value food and entertainment over the quiet solitude of a balcony. Others might have different priorities.

Going in with your eyes open is key on NCL these days for sure.

Edited by Karysa

I sailed NCL Gem to New England at the end of September. I was able to eat in the specialty restaurants every night of the cruise (free perk) and had a great cruise. I spent $20.00 for a Bingo card, our only charge on board charge. A 7 day cruise to New England in a Mini Suite (which was nicely sized) with specialty restaurants and prepaid DSC for 2 for under $2800.00 was a pretty good deal. I priced out the same cruise on other lines for much more. The ship was clean, great service and got what I thought I would be getting. All lines have their ways of extracting $$$$ from you, you have full control over your spending on board once you have paid the expected charges, room and gratuities or DSC whatever you call them.

I get ads for free cruises and ads from NCL for free gratuities and UBP plus other items, and asked in a post that has been deleted why one is considered fraudulent and the other is not. Apparently, someone thought that post was too close to a nerve and had it deleted before I could see if my question was answered.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is ????

Because the ads for free cruises are not from the cruise lines, but from companies truing to scam you for your money.

If you win a "free cruise" at bingo on ship with RCL, Carnival, NCL etc. you are expected to pay port fees and taxes on your free cruise.

This is not considered Fraudulent any more than NCL's service charge on their drink package is.

When I booded my cruises with free UBP on NCL, I also looked at Celebrity for the same time period, location. They did not offer me a free drink package, they expected me to pay for my drinks!!:eek: Does this mean that they were nickel and dining me because I would have to pay for something that NCL was giving me for free?

Lois

Edited by electro

I just booked the Escape for next spring and was clearly told that if my choice of perks was for $50 towards specialty dining, I would be charged gratuity on that.

Just shows that what some people are saying about the gratuities being a hidden charge is incorrect. The beverage package is free, the gratuities are not. If one doesn't want to pay the gratuities, they can either pick another perk or pick no perk.

It's a fair question and one I have asked on the HAL forum about their smoking policy that seems to anger so many...

A number of answers have been given including: enjoyment of many other things about the line, high status as a past passenger, past good experiences/memories/loyalty to the line, etc.

I recall you asking that on the HAL forum and as a matter of fact, after over 80+ cruises on HAL, I sailed NCL this summer. One of the reasons (certainly not all) was because I wanted to not risk losing use of my verandah due to smoking neighbors. It was a delight to know I would not be subjected to the stench of neighbors' cigarettes/cigars.

Whether I'll return remains unknown to me. I haven't decided.

It is VERY pertinent that I have a great many friends and acquaintances on HAL ships I'd dearly love to see again.

Edited by sail7seas

Some people change cruise lines because of problems, and some prefer to stay with a cruise line and try to get the problems corrected. Why would you criticize either for their actions ??

There is a difference between staying with a company and hoping they will work out the problems when they are mild and not terribly irritating to the customer.

When such anger is expressed, the problems take on a far greater importance and not worthy of continuing with a company you go to for fun, enjoyment, release of stress and vacation.

No one needs to agree. That is merely my personal viewpoint. If one is that angry and repeats that anger again and again, were it me, I'd move on.

There is a difference between staying with a company and hoping they will work out the problems when they are mild and not terribly irritating to the customer.

When such anger is expressed, the problems take on a far greater importance and not worthy of continuing with a company you go to for fun, enjoyment, release of stress and vacation.

No one needs to agree. That is merely my personal viewpoint. If one is that angry and repeats that anger again and again, were it me, I'd move on.

Yes, but unfortunately some people can't grasp the basic concept of 'moving on' or 'letting go'. This isn't the 1st time that NCL went through drastic changes nor will it be the last time, I bet in another 3-10 years it will change again - if the changes are so hard to stomach, then move on.

Say your discomfort and/or dislikes, and move on, constantly whining about how it was in the 'old' days or how it use to be isn't always going to bring it back - especially now, with the promos bringing in more new cruisers to the line; some of which paid the service charges for the dining or drinking promo. NCL definitely doesn't have a reason to completely go back, they're making money from their strategy - does one need to follow them? No, can take your wallet and go elsewhere that probably more enjoyable than sailing on them for oneself. Better that than constantly whining about false ads, nickel & diming, etc while completely upset at them but still sailing them anyway - A completely stupid contidication, when one thinks about it.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk