Explorer Computers

Sorry all as I am probably not putting this information in the right place but I heard back from the shipyard regarding comments on the number of computers we will have following some feedback from CC members. We will now have 4 stations in the business center enabling guests to print boarding passes etc.. and it will be attended by the manager to offer any necessary assistance.

Good news and this is the right place! We were so concerned about the lack of computers on the Explorer that I purchased a small laptop for my husband. His concern was that he would need to get up at 3:00 a.m. in order to get onto the computer.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop:)

Sorry all as I am probably not putting this information in the right place but I heard back from the shipyard regarding comments on the number of computers we will have following some feedback from CC members. We will now have 4 stations in the business center enabling guests to print boarding passes etc.. and it will be attended by the manager to offer any necessary assistance.

Are you stating that for all the guests, there are only four computers available for use?

gnomie :)

There are computers on board? :cool:

Seriously, I use my iPad almost exclusively - I think I've logged onto a ship's computer once in my last 5 cruises...but what WOULD be nice would be a few Air Print enabled printers that we could print from our own devices. Those could be more free-standing and not take up a lot of space.

I generally post to CC in the computer room. The past four cruises have been from the Mariner. We generally find the computer room pretty full on sea days and in the morning before excursions begin. There are around 12-15 computers available. In addition, the first few days of the cruise there is a long line of people wanting assistance from the computer person in attendance. At the moment I cannot see how four computers will work - especially on a new ship where people want to post pictures via email and have blogs on various websites.

Yes - we all have laptops, tablets, phones, etc., but IMO nothing replaces a good desktop with a proper keyboard (especially if you know how to type -- the laptop keyboards are okay but are not ergonomically friendly.)

We do have a new small laptop for our Explorer cruise and will see how it goes. My DH was concerned that he would have to get up 3:00 a.m. in order to get a computer (this was after the announcement that there would be two computers on the Explorer).

We seldom use the desktop computers on-board; iPads are sufficient for our requirements, but are looking forward to the promised improved Wi-Fi

We no longer bother to print-out boarding cards; we just check-in on-line then pick up boarding cards at the airport when dropping off the luggage

Agree with Bill that a couple of Air Print printers on-board would be a useful addition

I don't feel this is enough. I usually get up about 4 AM though to do what I have to do and I do like a regular computer. I guess this few will work for that time in the morning. I do not have a laptop and do not wish to struggle with it going through security.

Concur with posters above who feel four computers for the Explorer are insufficient. Yes, many of us are comfortable bringing/using our computing resources(laptops/tablets)--but not all Regent guests are. Also, for the Gold Seven Seas Society members who do not bring their computing resources with them, think, their unlimited wifi benefit will be a challenge to use with only four computers. Silversea is launching their new Ship the Silver Muse (about 600 pax) next spring--checked with a Silversea travel consultant on how many computers the Muse will have in the library--she did not know for sure but agreed that like the Spirit (490 pax/8 computers) there most likely would be between 8-10 computers.

Edited by WesW

Agreed - although I personally don't use the ship's computers, I've been by the computer room many times where it's absolutely packed. I think for a 700 pax ship, anything less than 16 is gonna be tough.

There are computers on board? :cool:

Seriously, I use my iPad almost exclusively - I think I've logged onto a ship's computer once in my last 5 cruises...but what WOULD be nice would be a few Air Print enabled printers that we could print from our own devices. Those could be more free-standing and not take up a lot of space.

Hear, hear!!! I have no use for a ship computer. I do have a need for a printer.