Major QM2 interior refit 2016

QM1

Hello

As one who has sailed on the Queen Mary 2 19 times it is my opinion that the Winter Garden while not the greatest space décor wise on the ship does serve as a lounging space for a good number of passengers.

It also hosts a variety of events during the day into the evening such a RADA performances and screenings of major sporting events. It also serves as an outlet from Kings Court for those passengers who take their food into Winter Garden to escape the chaos and noise of that dining area. I have also observed numerous passengers playing cards or simply reading. So while imperfect Winter Garden is used by a lot of passengers. That is very clear especially on days when the weather is poor and the ship is buttoned up with few passengers venturing out.

My greatest concern as a long time passenger of Cunard is that if Winter Garden is taken away and turned into a restaurant where will all the passengers who previously used the space go? Where will all the events such as sporting events currently hosted there now go? Especially with more passengers being added with the refit it appears to me that the remaining lounges will become over crowded if Winter Garden is eliminated. There is only so much space in the Chart Room, Golden Lion Pub, Sir Samuels and Commodore Club.

One reason I sail on the Queen Mary is the bountiful interior spaces. I dread a ship that reduces interior space for the sake of adding a restaurant and you are left with hundreds of passengers searching for a comfortable place to relax . I do not want to be squeezed in. I do not want to spent time searching for a quiet place only to disappointed.

I am curious what others think....

QM2 has one, topside aft. The Boardwalk Cafe.

Boardwalk Cafe is too far removed from where the pool action is. Relocate the useless boardwalk cafe to Todd English, similar to the One Deck Pavilion Cafe on QE2. The Todd English space is a disaster for a specialty restaurant with views of fleshy flesh and smokers under the awnings, not to mention people in various states of undress parading through to the pool. Converting the space to something more appropriate to a pool area will certainly solve the issue of people passing through on their way to/from the pool.

Boardwalk Cafe is too far removed from where the pool action is. Relocate the useless boardwalk cafe to Todd English, similar to the One Deck Pavilion Cafe on QE2. The Todd English space is a disaster for a specialty restaurant with views of fleshy flesh and smokers under the awnings, not to mention people in various states of undress parading through to the pool. Converting the space to something more appropriate to a pool area will certainly solve the issue of people passing through on their way to/from the pool.

I would be all for this, but not sure if Cunard would give up a revenue producing space. Perhaps a compromise. A Lido Grill that is very casual, but still a step up from the King's Court therefore a charge for menu items. I'm thinking something similar to Cafe al Bacio & Gelateria that Celebrity Cruises offers. Maybe make 1/3 of it a casual bar and lounge where the Todd English bar is already, with easy access to the pool and where swimming attire would be appropriate and people can walk through. Then the rest as the casual Cafe.

I also agree the Boardwalk Cafe is a joke. It's in industrial looking buffet line and it's almost always closed or too windy to enjoy sitting outside. They could close it completely IMO and go with the casual cafe I suggested in place of Todd English.

Edited by eroller

I would be all for this, but not sure if Cunard would give up a revenue producing space. Perhaps a compromise. A Lido Grill that is very casual, but still a step up from the King's Court therefore a charge for menu items. I'm thinking something similar to Cafe al Bacio & Gelateria that Celebrity Cruises offers. Maybe make 1/3 of it a casual bar and lounge where the Todd English bar is already, with easy access to the pool and where swimming attire would be appropriate and people can walk through. Then the rest as the casual Cafe.

I also agree the Boardwalk Cafe is a joke. It's in industrial looking buffet line and it's almost always closed or too windy to enjoy sitting outside. They could close it completely IMO and go with the casual cafe I suggested in place of Todd English.

Maybe they could move the Winter Garden up top somewhere and create a glass conservatory garden/cafe area.

I'd like the current Winter Garden turned into a small show/dining area.

Hello,I find all the suggestion very interesting and obviously a lot of people have put a lot of thought into them.The only problem I can see is,implement them I am sure would take an awful lot more time than Cunard have set aside for the refit.

Rodger.

Edited by foster269

My greatest concern as a long time passenger of Cunard is that if Winter Garden is taken away and turned into a restaurant where will all the passengers who previously used the space go?..

One reason I sail on the Queen Mary is the bountiful interior spaces. I dread a ship that reduces interior space for the sake of adding a restaurant and you are left with hundreds of passengers searching for a comfortable place to relax. I do not want to be squeezed in. I do not want to spent time searching for a quiet place only to disappointed. I am curious what others think....

Specialty restaurants cost, rather than make, money. They are there because passengers demand choices beyond the ship's main dining room and buffet. BruceMuzz claims that they never make a return on the investment put into constructing their dedicated spaces.

The Winter Garden will be a case where Cunard will be unable to please everybody. Some, like yourself, find its current form a refuge during bad weather or over crowding in Kings Court. While I have observed people relaxing just as you described, it has never been packed with "hundreds" or even dozens who will now be displaced.

The re-purposing of the Winder Garden would not be necessary if it had popularity for something other than overflow from the buffet. It's a prime area that spans the beam of the ship yet it's dead except for those passing through on the port side. One proposal I saw would have it remade as a cafe for lighter fare. There would be nothing to keep anybody from using the place just to relax.

Edited by BlueRiband

You are quite right bobby, This was similar to the suggestion I made. The Todd English area could be used for a Smart Pool/Alfresco cafe, ( something like this is needed on caribbean/world cruises) It should have open/patio style doors onto those few tables when the weather is fine (ok move the smokers to join their mates on deck 7 ;) )

There is already a fully fitted kitchen in place and it would make a very nice venue ,serving light healthy breakfasts and light afternoon snacks for those around the pool area. It would also take the stress off Kings Court.

In July this year ( 175 trip) we managed to have several sunny and very hot days. The aft pool area was packed and there was a nice party/holiday atmosphere ....lots of 'bar waiters' on hand of course ! but the Boardwalk cafe closed as usual ! :mad:

By late afternoon the pool area was littered with plates of half eaten food as guests had made frequent journeys to bring their lunch up from KC to enjoy on their sun lounger.

Edited by Bell Boy

Hello,I find all the suggestion very interesting and obviously a lot of people have put a lot of thought into them.The only problem I can see is,implement them I am sure would take an awful lot more time than Cunard have set aside for the refit.

Rodger.

That thought has also crossed my mind. They've only left a month to make some major refit changes. That said, look what was accomplished on QV during her last refit (there's an interesting video of the process on the Cunard YouTube channel).

So long as it doesn't turn into what happened with the Savoy renovation, all will be well. But I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some final touches being completed as she sets sail from Germany mid next year. I'm sure PG diners won't mind sitting on the floor with paper plates and cups for a week or so :)

Hello

As one who has sailed on the Queen Mary 2 19 times it is my opinion that the Winter Garden while not the greatest space décor wise on the ship does serve as a lounging space for a good number of passengers.

It also hosts a variety of events during the day into the evening such a RADA performances and screenings of major sporting events. It also serves as an outlet from Kings Court for those passengers who take their food into Winter Garden to escape the chaos and noise of that dining area. I have also observed numerous passengers playing cards or simply reading. So while imperfect Winter Garden is used by a lot of passengers. That is very clear especially on days when the weather is poor and the ship is buttoned up with few passengers venturing out.

My greatest concern as a long time passenger of Cunard is that if Winter Garden is taken away and turned into a restaurant where will all the passengers who previously used the space go? Where will all the events such as sporting events currently hosted there now go? Especially with more passengers being added with the refit it appears to me that the remaining lounges will become over crowded if Winter Garden is eliminated. There is only so much space in the Chart Room, Golden Lion Pub, Sir Samuels and Commodore Club.

One reason I sail on the Queen Mary is the bountiful interior spaces. I dread a ship that reduces interior space for the sake of adding a restaurant and you are left with hundreds of passengers searching for a comfortable place to relax . I do not want to be squeezed in. I do not want to spent time searching for a quiet place only to disappointed.

I am curious what others think....

The busiest I ever saw the Winter Garden was during the muster drill. Apart from that, it would have made a great hide and seek location for the small number of children on board.

A very good idea :-)

Also , how about putting the, to be displaced , Regatta Bar and almost useless Splash Pool in that Boardwalk area?

...They've only left a month to make some major refit changes. .. But I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some final touches being completed as she sets sail from Germany mid next year. I'm sure PG diners won't mind sitting on the floor with paper plates and cups for a week or so :)

If memory serves, the 2011 refit mostly involved soft furnishing and some of the carpet replacement in staterooms took place even before she went into dry dock. She was also rushed out earlier than originally planed and a "short break" cruise was fitted in. I recall a complaint posted here by somebody on board then that there was "garbage everywhere". (Meaning packing materials, not food waste.:eek:)

This one is going to be far more dramatic as stateroom wall panels (at least in the Grills) are to be replaced...highly unlikely this could be done while underway and that passenger was having a treatment in the spa.

We she ends her world voyage some preliminary work will probably start - as in ripping out some fixtures on deck 13.

In 2011 the crew were hoping for more work than was done. They wanted new furnishings in King's Court and of course the potholes on deck 2 were fixed and have been kept getting fixed. I wonder if that will be a continual problem all the QM2's life.

and of course the potholes on deck 2 were fixed and have been kept getting fixed. I wonder if that will be a continual problem all the QM2's life.

Seems to be a problem plaguing passengers ships of the same era as QM2 built at the same shipyard. Celebrity's Millennium Class ships all suffer from "potholes". It's whatever compound the shipyard used over the steel deck before laying carpet. It obviously doesn't hold up.

That thought has also crossed my mind. They've only left a month to make some major refit changes. That said, look what was accomplished on QV during her last refit (there's an interesting video of the process on the Cunard YouTube channel).

So long as it doesn't turn into what happened with the Savoy renovation, all will be well. But I wouldn't be surprised if there will be some final touches being completed as she sets sail from Germany mid next year. I'm sure PG diners won't mind sitting on the floor with paper plates and cups for a week or so :)

Thus the name change to these cabins/dining space to Picnic Grill ?? :rolleyes:

Hello

Perhaps I overstated the number of passengers who use winter Garden as a hang out but the issue is that there are still a good number of events held there during the course of the day and evening such as major sporting events broadcast on a hug screen. If this space is eliminated so a dining spot can be fit in where are these events going to be held without crowding out other space?

Deck Chair

Hello Mister T,I am sure as soon as you typed the word smoking you knew the replies would role in,so it might as well be me who starts.

It would be like going back to the bad old days expecting people to be in the same room as people smoking.No thank you.

Rodger.

Hello Mister T,I am sure as soon as you typed the word smoking you knew the replies would role in,so it might as well be me who starts.

It would be like going back to the bad old days expecting people to be in the same room as people smoking.No thank you.

Rodger.

Hi branston boy,

Welcome to the Cunard board (and to Cruise Critic) :) .

There are lots of well-informed, experienced, friendly people here, so if you've any questions; ask away!

Best wishes.

The new Britannia accommodations post refit are now on the Cunard website. They look quite nice in the artist's vision. I particularly like the image of the single ocean views where the current photo gallery is on Deck 3.

More is to be revealed on November 10th...I assume this will include Deck 7 changes.

Very exciting!

Thanks for reminder. They look good! New sofas at last :) So will all the other Britannia staterooms be refurbished to exactly the same as the new ones on deck 13 I wonder?

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/britannia-staterooms/

30 new Britannia Club balconies to be built

All existing Britannia Club balconies to be refurbished

More anytime dining capacity in the expanded Britannia Club restaurant

15 new Britannia Single staterooms

Britannia Club rooms on deck 13:

Brittania-Club-Balcony-Stateroom.jpg

The shower appears to have a door rather than a curtain

Britannia-Club-floorplan.png

Edited by Ray66

Austcruiser, thanks for letting us know. And thank you, Ray, for the link. Thus far everything looks very good. I can hardly wait to see the other staterooms and to find out what's in store for Kings Court and the Winter Garden.

It also means 75 more people with whom to share those public areas---75 more people to squeeze into the MDR (37 1/2 at each seating)---75 more people wanting seats in the theater and at Insights lectures.

It's a large ship and 75 people aren't that many, but it will make a difference.

If Deck 13 are BC, then they will not be in the MDR