Great Stirrup Cay closed Aug 25th to Oct 20th

tjwphoto

Came to the boards to see what people were doing about NCL's closure of great stirrup cay for the month of september. My searches came up with no results for this upcoming closure. I was planning on calling in to see if I could get some extra on board credit to make up some drinking costs (this 3 day Sky cruise will be a bachelors party) for Freeport. Wanted to inform everyone, see what peoples opinions were, and thoughts. I also noticed that NCL is still advertising these cruises as still stoping in Great Stirrup, which is not cool, and a little bait and switch...

IMPORTANT:

ITINERARY CHANGE INFORMATION

Norwegian Cruise Line has important information for you regarding Norwegian Sky's 3-Day Bahamas sailings from Miami, Florida between August 26, 2016 and September 30, 2016. All guests booked on these sailings need to be aware of this change and travel professionals are asked to forward this information to their clients.

We continue to focus on The Norwegian Edge, our $400 million investment program dedicated to raising the brand's standard of excellence across the guest experience by focusing on ship refurbishments, upgrading our culinary experience and developing superior land-based private destination experiences. As part of this program, we will be significantly enhancing our offerings at Great Stirrup Cay, our private island in the Bahamas, to feature exciting new developments including a new half-acre entertainment and activities area, new inclusive luxury experiences, additional dining options and more. To accommodate these new features and enhancements, to make Great Stirrup Cay the premier private island in the Bahamas, the island will be closing to guests from August 25-October 20, 2016. As a result of the closure of the island, your cruise will now call on Grand Bahama Island instead of Great Stirrup Cay.

If you pre-booked shore excursions through Norwegian Cruise Line for Great Stirrup Cay, your pre-booked shore excursion reservations will be automatically cancelled. For a list of shore excursions in Grand Bahama Island, please visit our website at http://www.ncl.com/excursions or contact our shore excursion desk at 1-866-625-1167.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions, please contact us at 800-327-7030 (Monday through Friday from 8am to midnight ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9am to 9pm ET). We look forward to welcoming you aboard Norwegian Sky.

Sincerely,

Vivian Ewart

Vice President, Passenger Services

Edited by tjwphoto

Came to the boards to see what people were doing about NCL's closure of great stirrup cay for the month of september. My searches came up with no results for this upcoming closure. I was planning on calling in to see if I could get some extra on board credit to make up some drinking costs (this 3 day Sky cruise will be a bachelors party) for Freeport.

Why do you think NCL should give you on board credit?

1. You have been notified well in advance of the change. You are outside final payment and can cancel without penalty if the loss of the private island is a deal breaker for you.

2. Another port has been substituted and has many bars to drink in if that is your primary cruise activity. Drink enough and you won't know what port you are in so the itinerary change is unimportant.

The #operative #buzzword #GSC for me in reading that official NCL announcement is #additional dining options ... could be the #codeword for Margaritaville

Notice served herein that changes are coming. Ka Ching $$

Edited by mking8288

On gsc if you have ubp all drinks are included thats not the case for freeport!!!

Is that also the case the the "all inclusive" Sky...that drinks are free on GSC? If so, I can understand the op's frustration, especially if the cruise was booked for a bachelor party.

Came to the boards to see what people were doing about NCL's closure of great stirrup cay for the month of september. My searches came up with no results for this upcoming closure. I was planning on calling in to see if I could get some extra on board credit to make up some drinking costs (this 3 day Sky cruise will be a bachelors party) for Freeport. Wanted to inform everyone, see what peoples opinions were, and thoughts. I also noticed that NCL is still advertising these cruises as still stoping in Great Stirrup, which is not cool, and a little bait and switch...

Definition of "Bait and Switch" per Merriam Webster:

"A selling method in which a customer is attracted by the advertisement of a low-priced product but is then encouraged to bu a more expensive one."

This screams "car salesman" to me! Advertised price of $19,000.00 for a brand new car - you get to the dealership to find they only have one available at that price which sold before the commercial even aired. "But look at this beauty...and only $10,000.00 more"!!!

Edited by NayRN

Why not cancel and go with another line that might be going to their private island.

yes, on the sky and it was a selling feature to go to GSC and to be able to drink all day on their island under the all inclusive package and now its not so much (unless we stay on the boat which has already been discussed). this renovation has clearly been planned for quite some time from NCL, but its not in good taste to still advertise that the cruise stops in their private island, and then just email their reservations of that change after the fact...

2. Another port has been substituted and has many bars to drink in if that is your primary cruise activity. Drink enough and you won't know what port you are in so the itinerary change is unimportant.

I don't believe I see anything about a port being substituted. I got the same letter today for my 4 day cruise. Since that port was the sole reason we booked the cruise, it is a deal breaker for me. We will probably cancel because of it. The extra sea day does nothing for me because we won't be going anywhere, just floating there. The all inclusive package was for the island as well. So if we get off and beach it on another port, it will cost us money in the long run. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that they've added a substitute port. Unfortunately, there aren't hardly any options for other cruises during our week.

I don't believe I see anything about a port being substituted.
I believe I see something here: "As a result of the closure of the island, your cruise will now call on Grand Bahama Island instead of Great Stirrup Cay." But you probably didn't actually receive the same letter, since the one the OP quoted is only for the 3-day cruises through the end of September. People on other sailings have been told they will have an extra sea day. Edited by hawkeyetlse

We are on the 4 day in October. We are talking about cancelling and booking somewhere else. GSC was the reason we booked the trip and the food and beverage included on the island was a HUGE draw. With that gone and not having planned to get off in the other ports, there's no point in going. I am pretty angry about it. I'm new to cruising to I did call and ask about the possibility of some kind of compensation. They said absolutely not because they'd have to comp ever guest and then quoted the fine print that says they have the right to change plans. Then I quoted my fine print that says I have the right to my refund. Not cancelling until we find something else. But it's still frustrating.

I called in today and was stonewalled. No credit, no included tips, no cabin upgrades, no excursions, no speciality dinners. Just offered a refund which would I love to do and give my business to another cruise line, but we have flights already booked. It will be my first and last with NCL unfortunately for them. Just the fact that they are still advertising this voyage as still going to GSC is ridiculous, they should at least be up front about it...

I don't believe I see anything about a port being substituted. I got the same letter today for my 4 day cruise. Since that port was the sole reason we booked the cruise, it is a deal breaker for me. We will probably cancel because of it. The extra sea day does nothing for me because we won't be going anywhere, just floating there. The all inclusive package was for the island as well. So if we get off and beach it on another port, it will cost us money in the long run. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that they've added a substitute port. Unfortunately, there aren't hardly any options for other cruises during our week.

I agree! I also booked the 4 days with the expectation of going to GSC. My letter says a day at sea will be substituted. I along with 8 other people have also already booked airline tickets for this cruise. First time with NCL and not very happy about this! Can't believe they didn't know all of this 10 days ago. Also, the day we are suppose to be there is the day prior to it opening back up :(

I called in today and was stonewalled. No credit, no included tips, no cabin upgrades, no excursions, no speciality dinners. Just offered a refund which would I love to do and give my business to another cruise line, but we have flights already booked. It will be my first and last with NCL unfortunately for them. Just the fact that they are still advertising this voyage as still going to GSC is ridiculous, they should at least be up front about it...

So book a different cruise line, there are at least 2 other ships sailing the same # of days from the same date. The carnival Fantasy will also have a sea day as it never stops at a private island, but the Enchantment of the Seas will stop at Coco Cay(literally right next to GSC).

Flights would have no effect if you change to one of these ships.

i would also note that i would never base a trip on visiting one of these cruise line private islands. Because it is a tender port(no dock) it is often missed due to high winds or rough seas. there are countless reviews on here of folks missing the stop.

-Matt

So book a different cruise line, there are at least 2 other ships sailing the same # of days from the same date. The carnival Fantasy will also have a sea day as it never stops at a private island, but the Enchantment of the Seas will stop at Coco Cay(literally right next to GSC).

Flights would have no effect if you change to one of these ships.

i would also note that i would never base a trip on visiting one of these cruise line private islands. Because it is a tender port(no dock) it is often missed due to high winds or rough seas. there are countless reviews on here of folks missing the stop.

-Matt

Very good point -- there is no such thing as a sure thing on a cruise - especially where a tender port is involved; but some people cannot think beyond their own uninformed disappointment.

i think a lot of you are missing the point. NCL is STILL advertising this cruise as going to GSC. We booked, then 3 days after booking they send the notice (enough time for us to book non refundable flights). It's not good business ethics to advertise an all inclusive cruise that schedules a port at their private island and then switch it to a port that is typically last on everyone's list.

https://www.ncl.com/vacations/norwegian-sky-?ships=4294963192

Exactly! Still advertising GSC today! Never mentioned it during the booking procedure. Although you can switch to another cruise line, the drinks aren't include so the cost of the trip is going to be higher. Very frustrated!

• 2 weeks later...

Our group cancelled and booked with Carnival Fantasy. The trip was 100.00 cheaper and we were booked in Grand Suites. We will still have to pay for drinks. Same dates so airfare worked. We are now going to Key West and Cozumel.

Our group cancelled and booked with Carnival Fantasy. The trip was 100.00 cheaper and we were booked in Grand Suites. We will still have to pay for drinks. Same dates so airfare worked. We are now going to Key West and Cozumel.

It's all about having a great vacation... enjoy! :D

i think a lot of you are missing the point. NCL is STILL advertising this cruise as going to GSC. We booked, then 3 days after booking they send the notice (enough time for us to book non refundable flights). It's not good business ethics to advertise an all inclusive cruise that schedules a port at their private island and then switch it to a port that is typically last on everyone's list.

https://www.ncl.com/vacations/norwegian-sky-?ships=4294963192

Looks like they have fixed the reservation website..... if you do a mock booking, you cannot book a trip with GSC as part of the itinerary for the maintenance window....

The front page that summarizes the itinerary for the Sky, you will notice both GSC and Grand Bahamas are listed....... then it gets sorted out as filters are applied

We had to cancel our August cruise on the escape bc we originally booked it for the new private island and they haven't been able to get that built on time. At least twice they have announced new opening dates. We do book our cruises based on ALL the ports the ship is going to. So we cancelled and now they announced taut everything will be additional charges so I have no interest in rebooking the escape. Very disappointed with Ncl over the last three years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app