Venice San Basilio pier

SkiCruiser44

Of the 4 times that I've been in Venice with Azamara they have always the San Basilio facility. There is a very convenient vaporetto stop nearby. This terminal is used only for small and medium sized ships. The large cruise ship use the Marittima facility which is quite large,and busy.

In September Journey moored at San Basilio just east of a mega-yacht. It was warm and the hike to the customs house was challenging for many. Its not a great location from that perspective. However, we will be on Quest later this year beginning in Venice and have planned pre-cruise hotel accommodations based on the San Basilio location: vaporetto route stopping close to both the hotel and the customs house.

In September Journey moored at San Basilio just east of a mega-yacht. It was warm and the hike to the customs house was challenging for many. Its not a great location from that perspective. However, we will be on Quest later this year beginning in Venice and have planned pre-cruise hotel accommodations based on the San Basilio location: vaporetto route stopping close to both the hotel and the customs house.

Globehoper, Can you share your choice? We are looking for a place in Venice.

The Hilton Molino Stucky is literally across the Canal from San Basilio Pier. It's a lovely hotel, we had a canal view room and enjoyed seeing the cruise ships gliding past in the early morning, including Quest. You can use the hotels complementary shuttle boat to take you and your luggage over to the other side. From then it's just a 10 min walk max along to the San Basilio Pier.

I am assuming Azamara will be docking at San Basilio as it always has done in the past, but to be sure you should check directly with Azamara. We did another cruise on another same size as Quest, Oceania Insignia and that actually docked at the main Mariitima terminal.

Edited by durante

Globehoper, Can you share your choice? We are looking for a place in Venice.

I must have spent a week researching and agonizing over this... Good to be "retired."

The choice: Ca' Pisani in Accademia on Dorsoduro. Several reasons. We have been traveling to Venice since 1987 (I first visited with my parents in 1960) and stayed in various hotels, to include a small B&B type for the 1987 visit just behind Saint Marks which I can't find anymore... All good. Not a Venice novice. Wanted to avoid the canal crossings (stairs) with luggage and really didn't want to pay Euro 75-120 for a water taxi to get to the pier or on arrival from the airport (may still do that - Ca' Pisani said they would meet us and assist with luggage). Started with wanting to stay at La Calcina on the river. No elevator and other factors convinced us otherwise. Studied at least 25 hotels... Ca' Pisani, for us, fit the bill. Easy access across the bridge to central Venice/San Marco, easy access to vaporetto stops on both the Grand Canal and the waterway to San Basilio.

Edited by Globehoppers

The Hilton Molino Stucky is literally across the Canal from San Basilio Pier. It's a lovely hotel, we had a canal view room and enjoyed seeing the cruise ships gliding past in the early morning, including Quest. You can use the hotels complementary shuttle boat to take you and your luggage over to the other side. From then it's just a 10 min walk max along to the San Basilio Pier.

I am assuming Azamara will be docking at San Basilio as it always has done in the past, but to be sure you should check directly with Azamara. We did another cruise on another same size as Quest, Oceania Insignia and that actually docked at the main Mariitima terminal.

Our first Journey cruise, back when it was Celebrity, was out of Venice and from the Maritima terminal. Stayed in a hotel not too far from the bus terminal - was still a challenge to drag luggage up and over several bridges. Did find a non-Celebrity cruise bus driver at the bus terminal who took us around to the terminal. Nice guy.

• 2 months later...

durante - thanks for the tip. Azamara's Blogging Officer has confirmed they'll be using San Basilio. I booked the Hilton months ago but my husband was fretting about about getting to the cruise terminal. I missed the fact that HIlton had 2 shuttles - that will save us time and $$. Regarding the walk from the shuttle stop to San Basilio, were there any steps or bridges that we will have to negotiate with the luggage?

After your cruise, did you go to the train station? We are going to Siena post-cruise and are looking for ways to get to Santa Lucia. Per Google, it looks like there's a ferry going directly there, but it's not easy to confirm on the ACTV website. Would appreciate any insight.

The Alilaguna blue line ferry goes from the airport to the cruise terminal - you can look it up on their website www.alilaguna.it

To San Basilio?

It depends on what you mean by "To San Basilio." Two stops before the Cruise Terminal is Zattere, which is a short walk to San Basilio. However, that ride takes about 90 minutes because it goes around the outer perimeter of Venice and makes lots of stops. A water taxi will cut through the small canals for a much more direct non-stop route and will take you right to San Basilio, for €100. That's a splurge that is well worth it.

Thanks everyone for the tips. It looks like ACTV has a waterbus that stops at "San Basilio" and Ferrovia (the train station). Since we'll be in Venice a few days early, we'll go over and check it out. If it looks difficult, we'll look into the water taxi.

Thanks everyone for the tips. It looks like ACTV has a waterbus that stops at "San Basilio" and Ferrovia (the train station). Since we'll be in Venice a few days early, we'll go over and check it out. If it looks difficult, we'll look into the water taxi.

That's a "vaporetto." There's a reason no one has suggested taking a vaporetto with luggage. Pay special attention to what the boats look like when crowded.

We are joining the Quest on September 6th and wondered if anyone could confirm whether taxi cars drive to San Basilio from Piazzale Roma? We are staying nearby but don't fancy forking out 100 euros for a water taxi!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are no cars in Venice. Everything is done either by boat or walking. You either fork out 100 Euros for a water taxi or drag your luggage around. You also have to make sure that your hotel has a private water dock for direct water taxi access.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Edited by BBQ Lover

That's a "vaporetto." There's a reason no one has suggested taking a vaporetto with luggage. Pay special attention to what the boats look like when crowded.

People with luggage travel Venice via vaporetto all the time. It is the least expensive way to move around the 118 islands.

There are no cars in Venice. Everything is by boat or walking. You either fork out 100 Euros for a water taxi or drag your luggage around.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Have embarked and disembarked ships at Marittime and San Basilio from buses. Sometimes cruises ships will provide a shuttle bus to take passengers to and from Piazzale Roma. Last October Azamara's airport transfer bus departed from behind the San Basilio Customs House. Its not an easy hike with or without luggage to either embarkation point from Piazzale Roma. Maybe Azamara/Quest will do that, as well, being that it is an overnight stay. And don't forget, it can be a good hike with hand/small roll-on luggage between the Customs House and Quest's actual moored location if she is berthed at the west end of San Basilio. Again, last October Journey chartered small buses/vans for people requiring assistance between the ship and Customs House.

Note: According to "Venice for Visitors" there are taxi stands at Piazzale Roma. Whether they will take you to either the Marittime or San Basilio quays is unknown.

Edited by Globehoppers

I booked transfers from the airport to our hotel and from our hotel to San Basillio with Venice Group Services http://www.venicegroupservices.com and they are charging me €50 cash from airport to hotel and €40 cash for transfer from hotel to pier. Since I don't pack light and am trying to avoid the usual drama of dragging suitcases around I thought it was worth the €€'s to start the trip off right.