Update - Mariner Dry Dock & Voyager Refurbishent

Travelcat2

Except that they gave us a deadline of December 2 (yes' date=' next week) to decide whether to cancel or proceed. They are starting to release information bit by bit, but each new bit raises new questions.[/quote']

I agree they should give you longer, and the details should be clear before the clock starts ticking.

I agree they should give you longer, and the details should be clear before the clock starts ticking.

what worse it a holiday here, agent going away and i am going away. so i have to either today or monday afternoon to decide everything.

what worse it a holiday here, agent going away and i am going away. so i have to either today or monday afternoon to decide everything.

Yes, with Thanksgiving I can imagine it's much worse. I would tell my TA to demand more time from Regent, and that they get their facts straight first! It's outrageous, really.

Yes, with Thanksgiving I can imagine it's much worse. I would tell my TA to demand more time from Regent, and that they get their facts straight first! It's outrageous, really.

Wendy, my agent got me what i wanted on board. they offered money towards a flight home. not going home but on to Peru.. what i want is bus/ first to Peru or Peru to Mia. nut sure what amount that is today. was not planning on spending that money.. when Azamara change the ports I got a free flight.

Wendy, my agent got me what i wanted on board. they offered money towards a flight home. not going home but on to Peru.. what i want is bus/ first to Peru or Peru to Mia. nut sure what amount that is today. was not planning on spending that money.. when Azamara change the ports I got a free flight.

So you're asking that Regent "deviate" you over to Lima and then send you home Business Class after your Peru land trip? I'm thinking the best you'd do would be a flight to Lima.

I'm sure Barcelona is lovely in the spring. Looks like a nice crossing, but not after spending that huge length of time onboard ship. The SA circumnavigation sounds great, but not sure I could take that long. Our 18-day leg to Lima coming up is our longest cruise ever.

Still onboard the Explorer. This morning we listened to the Cruise Consultant speak and it sounded as if whatever is being done on the Mariner will occur in April, 2017. Then, the refurbishment will be in April, 2018. If I learn more, I'll post.

So you're asking that Regent "deviate" you over to Lima and then send you home Business Class after your Peru land trip? I'm thinking the best you'd do would be a flight to Lima.

If it is up front of the plane i will take it. .for some reason it is a connecting flight as if now. .can not really worry until spring 2017. i book 11 months out Regent does 9 if I am correct.

I'm sure Barcelona is lovely in the spring. Looks like a nice crossing, but not after spending that huge length of time onboard ship. The SA circumnavigation sounds great, but not sure I could take that long. Our 18-day leg to Lima coming up is our longest cruise ever.

I done 8 to 10 weeks on AZ and I was done. .But it a smaller ship and I was honestly tired of the food. not the travels. Doing and easy Mia to Mia was great for Americans. my norm on ship 3 ot 5 weeks summer and 8 weeks winter.. this years i am on 3 ships and one land tour

Travelcat2,

If this is so, why is there a 6 day gap in the schedule in January 2017? 1/11 to 1/17.

Crispy46

That remains a big question mark and is why I earlier stated that I could not get a straight answer. What I reported in the last post is from the Cruise Consultant this morning. Keep in mind that, due to a visit from someone from Miami, I was able to confirm the new refurbishment date ......... it seemed that I "scooped" most people on the ship.

We will be sailing he Mariner late next year and our concern is that we would prefer not sailing on her until the menu's have changed. Hopefully this will happen earlier rather than later.

As was said in a great movie, "What we have is a failure to communicate." Regent,and by the way Crystal as well, have not done a good job of letting us know about what is to be done and what if any impact there will be on other cruises.

Mariner 11 - 17 January 2017 is a charter.

Marc

So the only other chance for any work to be done on Mariner in Spring 2017 looks to be in the 2 to 3 day window between scheduled cruises from 08 April to 11 April 2017 in Miami

It would be useful to guests if Regent published definitive answers on their current plans for the refurbishment of Mariner i.e. what they intend to do in 2017 and then later in 2018; including introduction of new menus, re-branding of Signatures to Chartreuse etc

Generally this information is sent from Regent to your TA and they forward it to their clients (this assumes that one is already booked on the Mariner and would be affected by the change in the refurbishment date. If you are not booked, contact Regent. I'm still guessing that the menu debut will be in April, 2017 but have yet to confirm it (we have 8 days left on this cruise and may learn more -- if so I'll post).

With respect, this information is important to prospective customers as well as those with existing bookings

Regent made a lot of marketing noise about how much they intended to spend on the refurbishment of all their ships, with all ships to be completed by Spring 2017. This is obviously no longer the case for Mariner but Regent are being conspicuously quiet about their change of plan

They have introduced the resulting additional cruises with plenty of marketing hype but have failed to be up-front with the reasons why the Mariner schedules have changed

Not everyone reads CruiseCritic

With respect, this information is important to prospective customers as well as those with existing bookings

Regent made a lot of marketing noise about how much they intended to spend on the refurbishment of all their ships, with all ships to be completed by Spring 2017. This is obviously no longer the case for Mariner but Regent are being conspicuously quiet about their change of plan

They have introduced the resulting additional cruises with plenty of marketing hype but have failed to be up-front with the reasons why the Mariner schedules have changed

Not everyone reads CruiseCritic

As I mentioned, the people booked on the affected cruises should have been notified by their TA (based on this thread, it sounds as if this has happened). People thinking about booking a cruise will be told by Regent or their TA about the change in plans. IMO, this will not affect most people on Mariner itineraries. Unless I'm missing something (which is possible since we have been on the Explorer since November 2nd), the new itineraries have been announced and explanations have likely taken place for those people that are planning on sailing on the Mariner in 2017 and early 2018.

Regent is being extremely forthcoming regarding the reason for the delay in the Mariner's refurbishment (Hurricane Matthew -- it is possible that passengers living in the U.S. are more familiar with the devastation of this hurricane than people living outside of the U.S. This hurricane killed many, destroyed much and it will take a while to recover from). I really do not think that anyone can fault Regent for what the hurricane did to the intended dry dock port. It is sad for many people - especially the men and women (between 1,300 and 1,800) that planned on earning money working on the ship in April.

Agree that not everyone reads CC and that is why I am puzzled as to why affected passengers are asking for answers here rather that from their TA or Regent.

In the past I have criticized Regent for lack of communication. In this case I think they are doing the best that they can given that this information is only a week or two old.

It is difficult that this is occurring on what is arguably the busiest U.S. holiday of the year (except for Christmas) and I do believe that Regent should give those people currently booked on the affected cruises an extra week to decide what they are going to do. In terms of the rest of us (ourselves included), either we stay with our Mariner cruises or change to another ship.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving! This is my personal favorite holiday as it is about friends, family, food and remembering all of the things that we have to be grateful for.

Edited by Travelcat2

TravelCat2, I know what your saying, but I'd think "Regent" could have stated the time the ship would be in rehab----once stated it would be over and done.

Love that you used the term "rehab":) We do know that the Mariner will receive the full refurbishment in April, 2018. What seems to be in question is when and what they will do in 2017 (believe it is also April). I am still hopeful that I'll learn if the restaurant menu's will be changed before we disembark. We would be very disappointed if we had to revert to the old CR menu.

• 4 months later...
I see your information has been confirmed; Regent has now introduced two TransAtlantic crossings to get Mariner to-and-from Barcelona, separated by a period suitable for a full refurbishment:

25 Feb - 14 Mar 2018: Rio to Barcelona

15 Mar - 03 Apr: Refurb?

04 Apr - 18 Apr 2018: Barcelona to Miami

It must be really annoying for those who were booked on the previously scheduled cruises but it no doubt makes business sense for Regent to have the major refurb done in Europe

They were obviously badly let down by the contractor/dockyard who were due to carry out the work in Florida in April 2017; the dockyard in Europe has proven, through its recent refurb of Voyager, that it has the resources and expertise to complete the job; and it is probably cheaper

The newly introduced TransAtlantic crossings look to be good value for those who enjoy plenty of sea days :)

I concur. That is what I surmised from the gap from 15 March to 3 April with the TA to Miami ending on the 18th of April. We are booked on the 18 April Miami to San Francisco.

Is there anything available as to just what will be refurbished in Barcelona????