Mariner New Itineraries April 2017

iguy

We just received email notification of two new Mariner itineraries departing Miami April 11 and 18, 2017. As I recall, this was when the Mariner was scheduled for refurbishment. Does anyone know if the planned refurbishment has now been cancelled or delayed?

Check with Regent or your TA. They will likely know the answers. As far as I know, the refurbishment for the Mariner is in "early April". If I learn more, I'll definitely post. Several officers and crew currently on the Explorer will be rotating to the Mariner next!

As far as I know, the refurbishment for the Mariner is in "early April".

The point of this thread is that, with the introduction of new itineraries in April 2017, there is no longer a window to allow refurbishment of Mariner as previously scheduled

If you have time perhaps you could check with the on-board cruise consultant what is the latest plan for Mariner's refurb

Hope you are enjoying your cruise on Explorer and look forward to further reports on the blog

There now seems to be a 6 day gap between the end of the Mariner's January 4, 2017 Miami to Miami cruise, which ends on January 11, 2017, and its next departure on a Miami to Lima cruise on January 17, 2017.

Perhaps the former 2-week break for refurbishment has been recalibrated to this 6 day window?

There now seems to be a 6 day gap between the end of the Mariner's January 4, 2017 Miami to Miami cruise, which ends on January 11, 2017, and its next departure on a Miami to Lima cruise on January 17, 2017.

Perhaps the former 2-week break for refurbishment has been recalibrated to this 6 day window?

Ooh, I live in hope, since I"m on that cruise! But I somehow doubt it, don't you?

If Regents reat these post like they say, we should get an answer soon one would think.

Regent rarely responds to these threads which is why I suggested calling Regent or checking with your TA. If I see Massimo, I'll ask but calling is much faster.

I don't see how they could possibly squeeze all of the necessary work into a 6-day window. Just doesn't seem possible...

.........................and it is only really 5.5 days, as passengers are disembarking on the first day

.........................and the period includes a weekend

The amount of work they can accomplish in that window probably depends on the number of carpet-fitters etc that they can source

Keep in mind that the contractors work 24/7 during dry dock so they can accomplish at least twice as much in a short period of time. I was quite surprised that Regent hires 1800 contractors when they dry dock a ship (plus crew members and officers that stay onboard). Since housing is an issue at the port where the Mariner will be, it will be interesting to see how many people they can get to work on the ship.

I have no doubt that things will begin even before passengers get off of the ship. On the Explorer (currently under warranty), workmen come onboard at most ports to fix or adjust things -- it does not interrupt the normal operations of the ship.

Indeed. We were on the Mariner on its last voyage before the 2014 refit (from Rio to Barcelona). Before reaching Barcelona, supervisory staff were seen going about the ship taking notes and giving directions in preparation for the refit, which was to occur at Marseille, as I recall. Once we arrived at Barcelona, some workers came aboard about 7 AM, which was around one hour before the passengers disembarked. As the passengers lined up in the terminal to clear customs on the way out, there was a line of dock workers going aboard. This caused no interruptions at all to service or the disembarkation process.

The only minor inconvenience we experienced was the day before when the supervisory staff was in the fitness center deciding what equipment had to be removed, at which point my DW jokingly implored them not to move the elliptical she was on because she was still using it!

• 2 weeks later...
We just received email notification of two new Mariner itineraries departing Miami April 11 and 18, 2017. As I recall, this was when the Mariner was scheduled for refurbishment. Does anyone know if the planned refurbishment has now been cancelled or delayed?

We put a deposit on one of these amazing deals and I notice that one stop is at Harvest Caye. This seems to be an NCL private island. I'm wondering how to find out if their mega-ships are there on the same day. I looked at the NCL board and the complaint seems to be that there are charges for EVERYTHING except plain beach chairs. Does anybody have a thought about what the scoop might be at this stop for Regent passengers? thanks

There is a lot of "chatter" onboard the Explorer about the cruises with fares that almost too hard to believe. While this is only my opinion, it is beginning to sound more like a NCL or Carnival cruise than Regent. The reason that I say this is because when they run this kind of "special" in the U.K., they get passengers that are not typically luxury cruisers (not meant as a slam against mainstream cruisers). While this may be a good introduction to Regent, as a long time Regent customer, I would pass on these "specials". And, for those people already booked, hope that you enjoy the experience but also hope that it is understood that these may not be "typical" Regent cruises.

I'm wondering if these cruises are during Spring Break (another important consideration).

Right now I'm feeling very sorry for the Mariner - well overdue for refurbishment.

Edited by Travelcat2

There is a lot of "chatter" onboard the Explorer about the cruises with fares that almost too hard to believe. While this is only my opinion, it is beginning to sound more like a NCL or Carnival cruise than Regent. The reason that I say this is because when they run this kind of "special" in the U.K., they get passengers that are not typically luxury cruisers (not meant as a slam against mainstream cruisers). While this may be a good introduction to Regent, as a long time Regent customer, I would pass on these "specials". And, for those people already booked, hope that you enjoy the experience but also hope that it is understood that these may not be "typical" Regent cruises.

I'm wondering if these cruises are during Spring Break (another important consideration).

Right now I'm feeling very sorry for the Mariner - well overdue for refurbishment.

I was only asking about "harvest caye", but you've given me something to think about. Your answer makes me think that the beloved Regent must be hurting if they are trying to appeal to" those "kind of people. And the Mariner!!! It's following the pattern of those unrefurbished Silversea ships you often mention. Black Friday Sales!!!! What's next for Regent? Meanwhile, I'm still interested in Harvest Caye as a port stop and I take people as I find them. Everyone enjoys something different on a cruise.

Looks like these are just after the Spring Break rush - although there may still be a few stragglers. This sailing doesn't appeal to me for two reasons: one, we're already booked on Explorer right about this time :p, and two, I'm guessing this will be more of a 'party boat' sailing than the 'typical' Regent cruise...although I DID pass the link on to my oldest daughter, as this is probably the only Regent cruise she'll be able to afford for a few years...

Your answer makes me think that the beloved Regent must be hurting if they are trying to appeal to" those "kind of people. And the Mariner!!! It's following the pattern of those unrefurbished Silversea ships you often mention. Black Friday Sales!!!! What's next for Regent? Meanwhile, I'm still interested in Harvest Caye as a port stop and I take people as I find them. Everyone enjoys something different on a cruise.

I don't think we should read too much into it. As I understand it, Mariner was originally scheduled for a two-week refurb during this period, the hurricane damaged the facilities, necessitating a reschedule of the planned work as well as giving Regent a two week window to fill just 5 months out - which can be an issue with port space, provisioning, etc.

I think they're just trying to make lemonade from the lemons they had...although it's gonna be kind of a bitter lemonade, if you ask me. :)

In 2003, with the impending Iraq war, Radisson pulled Diamond out of Med and had her summer in Caribbean. They made it all inclusive and free kids. We sailed in May for a week for a little over $1000 each (including air home from San Juan) with very few kids; only 144 passengers on board with a great Beatles tribute band and lecturer. One of our favorite cruises. Don't discount bargain basement cruises; Regent isn't going to take a chance on lowering brand perception by lowering the experience.

Marc

In 2003, with the impending Iraq war, Radisson pulled Diamond out of Med and had her summer in Caribbean. They made it all inclusive and free kids. We sailed in May for a week for a little over $1000 each (including air home from San Juan) with very few kids; only 144 passengers on board with a great Beatles tribute band and lecturer. One of our favorite cruises. Don't discount bargain basement cruises; Regent isn't going to take a chance on lowering brand perception by lowering the experience.

Marc

IMO, Radisson was completely different than Regent (some things better - some worse). Also, IMO, Regent does not lower the experience when they run bargain basement specials but the passengers change the experience (much as Alaska cruises are not representative of most Regent cruises).

Fizzy, it is doubtful that you will find any Regent passengers that are familiar with Harvest Caye -- suggest that you contact your TA or Regent to learn more about NCL's private island. My guess is that there will not be an NCL ship docked there so Regent will be able to offer their normal inclusive experience. You may want to check the website that indicates what ships are in port so that you can see if any other ship will be there.

Bill, agree with you completely and think that is important that this topic is being brought up in order to put the proper perspective on these cruises.