Anthing to see in Civitavecchia

Presto2

We are considering staying on the ship in Civitavecchia on our next cruise on Oceana as we have been to Rome a number of times and are visiting in May for a special birthday. We have looked at the ship's excursions that don't do Rome and aren't too blown away. Don't want to chance an excursion that is not a P&O one incase we miss the ship !

Is there anything to see in Civitavecchia / has anyone done this before?

Thanks for you help

:)

We are considering staying on the ship in Civitavecchia on our next cruise on Oceana as we have been to Rome a number of times and are visiting in May for a special birthday. We have looked at the ship's excursions that don't do Rome and aren't too blown away. Don't want to chance an excursion that is not a P&O one incase we miss the ship !

Is there anything to see in Civitavecchia / has anyone done this before?

Thanks for you help

Well we have, it's an Italian port city with the usual shopping areas and a long sea front and prominard. It has a number of cafés if you go behind the front.

On the prom there is a statue of the American couple kissing at the end of the war, very famous pose from the end of WW2. It's big 4/5 times life size.

Like you we have done Rome, we found it quite relaxing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Presto, well we have done the opposite :rolleyes: We have been to Civitavecchia twice and not been to Rome! It is a really nice place. There is a good market in the town which is straight up from the ship and also nice cafes along the sea front. One time that we were there they were handing out free newspapers telling you what was going on in the town.

I am definitely going to Rome in June on the Majesty :)

Whatever you do, don't get caught out and underestimate the distance to the dock gates if you decide to walk. It is deceptively long.

Take the free port shuttle bus to the terminus just outside the port and have a wander in the town itself. You will find something to do I am certain.

Great info everyone --- we have also seen that there is the fort to see so I think we will have a 'chill out' day and have a wander. If nothing else we can 'ship watch'

Thanks for your prompt replies folks

Enjoy your weekend

As others have said Civitavecchia is a nice town with a good market down a side road on the left as you walk up the main street away from the port gate.

There is a nice cafe on the opposite side of the main road from the sea front which does good coffee and cakes.

It's a pleasant walk along the promenade on a nice day but there are not many/any seats I remember....we sat on the ground on our cagoules!

As others have said Civitavecchia is a nice town with a good market down a side road on the left as you walk up the main street away from the port gate.

There is a nice cafe on the opposite side of the main road from the sea front which does good coffee and cakes.

It's a pleasant walk along the promenade on a nice day but there are not many/any seats I remember....we sat on the ground on our cagoules!

Am hoping we won't need cagoules :);)

Nice walk along the front and a small museum up on the Main Street. Have some gelato and chill!

A tour to Tivoli is a great alternative to Rome.

Tivoli is the other side of Rome so do do it by public transport would require a train to Rome and then another train from Rome. You would probably have to either hire a car and drive, using the ring road around Rome to avoid the city, or you would need to book a private tour because it would be very difficult to do in a day from Civitacecchia.

Thanks for that - probably won't want to go as far as Tivoli -- hubby definitely won't want to drive in Italy. He'd need another holiday to get over it :D;)

The more we read the more certain we are that it is going to be a 'potter around at our own pace' day in Civitavecchia. :)

Weve done Rome 4 times from Civitavecchia and always find loads to do. To us it would be a shame to not discover more of what Rome has to offer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, we've done Rome 4 times - twice for 2 days pre cruise. We are really lucky this year and to Rome are returning in May 2015 with family for 4 days. I see what you mean about Rome, but we want May to be special and not a repeat of what we did just a month before. If that makes sense.

Hi, we've done Rome 4 times - twice for 2 days pre cruise. We are really lucky this year and to Rome are returning in May 2015 with family for 4 days. I see what you mean about Rome, but we want May to be special and not a repeat of what we did just a month before. If that makes sense.

Makes total sense. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're also sick of visiting Rome from Civ, as we've done it four times now. Next time we will take a walk through the town, and maybe take a little trip on the train to one of the lovely looking beaches a couple of stops down the line.

DH will probably also have a look to see if there's anything to visit in the other direction (he loves trains!).

Edited by KaththeTaff

We're also sick of visiting Rome from Civ, as we've done it four times now. Next time we will take a walk through the town, and maybe take a little trip on the train to one of the lovely looking beaches a couple of stops down the line.

DH will probably also have a look to see if there's anything to visit in the other direction (he loves trains!).

Great idea, it's a pleasant day out when you don't follow the lemmings.

Take the train one stop down the line to Santa Marinella. It is a small seaside resort town. I think there is a charge of a couple of euros to use the beach. Its worth a wander for an hour or so and gets you out of Civitavechia. There is a good ice cream shop on the main street. The train fare is only a couple of Euros each way.

Take the train one stop down the line to Santa Marinella. It is a small seaside resort town. I think there is a charge of a couple of euros to use the beach. Its worth a wander for an hour or so and gets you out of Civitavechia. There is a good ice cream shop on the main street. The train fare is only a couple of Euros each way.

Thanks that sounds really interesting. :) The ice cream shop in particular ;)

Thanks for that - probably won't want to go as far as Tivoli -- hubby definitely won't want to drive in Italy. He'd need another holiday to get over it :D;)

The more we read the more certain we are that it is going to be a 'potter around at our own pace' day in Civitavecchia. :)

If pottering means light shopping, may one give a consideration. On a previous cruise, friends headed for very reasonably priced ladies shoe shops.

Out of the main gate, up Main Street, then just before the mini round-a-bout you will find them on the right. They also sell matching bags. Just a small local business who would value your custom.

If pottering means light shopping, may one give a consideration. On a previous cruise, friends headed for very reasonably priced ladies shoe shops.

Out of the main gate, up Main Street, then just before the mini round-a-bout you will find them on the right. They also sell matching bags. Just a small local business who would value your custom.

Sounds good, lol

Thanks for the tip ---- won't tell hubby, but may wander / potter that way. :D