Deposit

isdoo

Was considering Oceania until they asked for a 20% deposit.

Ouch!

Can't say I have ever seen that before.

Sadly the search does not work here on a phone, so can't look for other topics on this.

Such a shame, as I am not going to tie 3k up for 9 months.

Ouch!

Sadly the search does not work here on a phone, so can't look for other topics on this.

What category cabin are you looking to book?

Also, are you booking from UK?

If so, here is a discussion on that topic:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2417642&highlight=20%25+deposit

Edited by Paulchili

Regional differences

That is why it is always good to put your Country in your profile so answers to questions like this will be based on your Country of Residence

for North Americans

What is your deposit and payment policy?

Bookings require a per person deposit of 20% of the applicable fare for Owner's, Vista and Oceania Suites and $750 ($1000 CAD) for all other suite/stateroom categories. For Grand Voyages, the per person deposit is $1,500 ($2000 CAD).

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/faq/

We just noticed something similar. We are booked on an April 10th cruise on Marina (departing April 10, 2017) and another on Marina departing on November 7, 2017.

The first is 21 days, the second is 14 days. The final pay up date is quite different for both cruises (180 days vs. 121) based on the length of the cruise. Both cruises are in an OC. (I didn't compare the deposit amounts but I think they were similar because of the cabin category.)

To the OP: If you want an OS on Oceania, however, you will have to bite the bullet and put up the money. Top suites and bottom cabins sell out first. If you want to sail in the top drawer cabin, you will have to put up that deposit.

Maybe you should consider booking a lower level cabin for a shorter cruise to see if Oceania suits you at all.

Or maybe you just want to say "no way Jose". It's up to you, of course!

Mura

Thanks

Seems very high. I'm not willing to allow 3k+ to be held for 9 months so I guess Oceania is not for us currently.

Yes, was opting for an owners suite.

This is just MY opinion and of course yours is the one that counts here, but I think this is not the best reason not to sail on this cruise if you like it otherwise - especially on a cruise line and a cabin that are new to you.

Perhaps you should try Oceania first just to see if you even like them. Possibly book a cruise at or near final payment (if available) so that your money wouldn't be tied up for 9 month?

PS I sure hope that you are getting a decent return on your money - not many of us are these days :D

Ouch!

The CC "search" works fine on smart phone apps- I use it often.

Do the math: At a (current) very generous 3% return on $3000 for 3/4 of a year, you're talking about an earning loss of less than $75 to secure the cabin you want.

The CC "search" works fine on smart phone apps- I use it often.

Do the math: At a (current) very generous 3% return on $3000 for 3/4 of a year, you're talking about an earning loss of less than $75 to secure the cabin you want.

I use the website that is not mobile enabled.

I generally get 25%+ a year on my money. I am involved in property.

I think it is the principal here.

Sure take 500 deposit, but asking 20% is a bit much.

I accept that 20% is not as much on a lower cabin and probably much closer to the 500 so to the majority it has not changed.

I guess it was a shock having never sailed with the line before.

But I have sailed with Celebrity, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean etc. and their model is low deposit to sign people up. By asking for a large deposit you are likely to deter those new customers or those who simply do not have 3k currently. Not everyone has cash in the bank all year round.

Mind you I would probably resent it even if I had sailed before lol

Just for comparison:

Last week I put a deposit on a Viking Ocean cruise. The deposit was $500. pp and had to be paid by October 31. But, here is the clincher. The full balance has to be paid by Dec. 31 and the ship does not sail until April 7, 2018. That's right. More than a year after the final payment must be made. I booked in order to reserve the room that I wanted.

I use the website that is not mobile enabled.

I generally get 25%+ a year on my money. I am involved in property.

I think it is the principal here.

Sure take 500 deposit, but asking 20% is a bit much.

I accept that 20% is not as much on a lower cabin and probably much closer to the 500 so to the majority it has not changed.

I guess it was a shock having never sailed with the line before.

But I have sailed with Celebrity, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean etc. and their model is low deposit to sign people up. By asking for a large deposit you are likely to deter those new customers or those who simply do not have 3k currently. Not everyone has cash in the bank all year round.

Mind you I would probably resent it even if I had sailed before lol

In all honesty: if you're making 25% on your real money, then $3k should be "chump change."

Nonetheless, I understand that, for you, it may be the "principle of the thing." Of course, if you stick to that principle, you'll still have to eat "mass market" cruise food. And Oceania will just sell the cabin to one of its current or future repeat customers.

If you're willing to do some research, it is possible to make lower deposits on O. However, you'll have to find and connect with one of Oceania's partner TAs during one of their occasional short term "private" sales. These sales mirror the "book onboard" deals which average 5% savings on cabin prices and require deposits as low as $250/person.

If you're willing to do some research, it is possible to make lower deposits on O. However, you'll have to find and connect with one of Oceania's partner TAs during one of their occasional short term "private" sales. These sales mirror the "book onboard" deals which average 5% savings on cabin prices and require deposits as low as $250/person.

That may not be the case in the UK where the OP is from

Not saying the OP is in this position, but they used the example.

I feel like anyone that doesn't have 3k liquid or the ability to have it within 30 days to pay off a credit card has no business booking an Owner's Suite.

Not saying the OP is in this position, but they used the example.

I feel like anyone that doesn't have 3k liquid or the ability to have it within 30 days to pay off a credit card has no business booking an Owner's Suite.

Not that I agree with the credit card example, but in principal yes... Something just doesn't add up..3k isn't that big a deal when you are looking at the average two fiqure price of the Owners Suite per person for a cruise. Not that we haven't just seen upgrade offers for less. :cool:, and if I am that tight on funds, maybe I would book a lesser suite, or PH in order to conserve cash, or go with the mass mkt lines OS.