library on Koningsdam?

1of4

I usually spend quite a bit of time in the library. I prefer the R and S class libraries because they are so much quieter than the library on the Westerdam where not only is the library part of the Crow's Nest, there is a coffee shop in the middle of it plus a major artery for the crew so add a slamming door to the chorus.

I was looking at the deck plans for the Koningsdam but didn't find a library marked. Did I miss it? Or is part of another public space like the Explorations Cafe? Perhaps there isn't one on this ship? :eek:

On the Observation deck by the Explorations Cafe, it looks like there is a computer center. Perhaps that is also the Library. It looks tucked away a bit, so perhaps the Crow's Nest won't be such an intrusion on the library goers.

Could be. I looked again and it is the same set up on the other side as well. Nothing designated as a library, but the seating looks different from what is in the Crow's Nest and right in front of the Explorations Cafe. I guess we'll have to wait until someone is actually on the ship to know.

Thanks for taking a look. I thought it was just me that couldn't find it. I guess it is a case of "wait and see".

Life is so busy at home, I really enjoy the library but I am one of those people that find it hard to concentrate when I am in a noisy environment.

What reason does anyone have to assume it would be different than the configuration on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam?

Granted they haven't told us a damn thing about the new ship in almost 2 months now and we haven't seen that area featured in previous announcements but it's not like this is a new or foreign concept and all of us who have been on HAL umpteen times know what the Explorations Cafe is...

Thanks for taking a look. I thought it was just me that couldn't find it. I guess it is a case of "wait and see".

Life is so busy at home, I really enjoy the library but I am one of those people that find it hard to concentrate when I am in a noisy environment.

This is why I pack my iPod and headphones (earbud style). More often than not, I just have the headphones in to block most of the ambient noise, but it's nice to be able to have some soft music for when the noise is too much to be blocked by just the headphones in my ears.

What reason does anyone have to assume it would be different than the configuration on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam?

Granted they haven't told us a damn thing about the new ship in almost 2 months now and we haven't seen that area featured in previous announcements but it's not like this is a new or foreign concept and all of us who have been on HAL umpteen times know what the Explorations Cafe is...

I have only been on 3 HAL cruises so no umpteen times. Out of the 3 we have been on, two were on the R and S class. So my reason is pure ignorance and I was making the assumption that people would have commented negatively on the location and HAL would consider a change in their new build. I know how noisy it was on the Westerdam but perhaps I am the only one that thought it was a crazy location for a library.

Time to find comfortable headphones!.

From the very informative and beautiful website: koningsdam.hollandamerica.com

EXPLORATIONS CAFÉ POWERED BY THE NEW YORK TIMES

Relax in the comfortable coffeehouse atmosphere of Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times, featuring the daily crossword puzzle, custom espresso drinks and pastries, and a comprehensive selection of books and travel guides.

I know how noisy it was on the Westerdam but perhaps I am the only one that thought it was a crazy location for a library.

No, you are not the only one. I was very surprised with the location the first time I saw it. Considering the Crow's Nest is used for trivia and other group activities and people walk through the library portion continually, it is not the most conducive area for a quiet read.

I have only been on 3 HAL cruises so no umpteen times. Out of the 3 we have been on, two were on the R and S class. So my reason is pure ignorance and I was making the assumption that people would have commented negatively on the location and HAL would consider a change in their new build. I know how noisy it was on the Westerdam but perhaps I am the only one that thought it was a crazy location for a library.

Time to find comfortable headphones!.

When you found it to be noisy on Westerdam did they still have the HAL Cats or other musicians in the Crow's Nest? From the sound of things recently it would be a nice, quiet, sedate environment

Of course nobody forces you to read there... plenty of quiet spaces indoors and out all around the ship

You're right and I never did try to read there but the term "library" conjures up the idea of a quiet spot (or at least quieter than being connected to a bar:D).

You're right and I never did try to read there but the term "library" conjures up the idea of a quiet spot (or at least quieter than being connected to a bar:D).

Sounds like the Crow's Nest has been a lot quieter these days since I guess the solo pianist or guitarist is long gone... Check the daily schedule for when trivia happens and you can get lots of time in before the crowds and noise. :)

Sounds like the Crow's Nest has been a lot quieter these days since I guess the solo pianist or guitarist is long gone... Check the daily schedule for when trivia happens and you can get lots of time in before the crowds and noise. :)

I wouldn't say so. If it is not trivia it is a lecture. If no lecture then it is karioke. If not that then there is a game going on - like a game show type (think newly wed game). And if there is an hour where a microphone is not being used you can be sure the gal behind the coffee counter is filling in the void.

If I was going to read I would go somewhere else as there is no chance to concentrate in the library (I am dyslexic). But the chances of other places being quiet are not that great as people are free to make noise as they are not in the library....as they should.

I was just commenting on the strange placement for a library, as Scrapnana said, you tend to think that a library is for quiet pursuits.

I got into the habit of telling Club Hal that I could be found in the library as we have to tell them where we will be. Hard to document your location if you are looking for quiet when the one place that is supposed to be quiet isn't.

I wouldn't say so. If it is not trivia it is a lecture. If no lecture then it is karioke. If not that then there is a game going on - like a game show type (think newly wed game). And if there is an hour where a microphone is not being used you can be sure the gal behind the coffee counter is filling in the void.

If I was going to read I would go somewhere else as there is no chance to concentrate in the library (I am dyslexic). But the chances of other places being quiet are not that great as people are free to make noise as they are not in the library....as they should.

I was just commenting on the strange placement for a library, as Scrapnana said, you tend to think that a library is for quiet pursuits.

I got into the habit of telling Club Hal that I could be found in the library as we have to tell them where we will be. Hard to document your location if you are looking for quiet when the one place that is supposed to be quiet isn't.

Understood. Depending on the ship some of those things may not be going on. Vista/Sig Class ships tend to do the "game shows" in the Queens Lounge for instance.

Explorer's Lounge is always super quiet and if there IS a music performance it's whatever the latest incarnation of Adagio is (duet, trio, quartet etc). Pinnacle Bar rarely has much going on. Ocean Bar (the side without the stage is usually really mellow), Silk Den on the Signature Class is amazing...

Depending on the ship you'll have lots of choices... and I only mentioned the indoor ones :D

:D What an odd concept..... :D To expect a library would offer a quiet place for reading. LOL ......

Edited by sail7seas

There's nothing inherent in the Crow's Nest and Explorations Café that necessarily ties them together. It's not a logical placement to have them next to each other, and 10 of the current 15 HAL ships don't have them together.

The new ship could have been designed so that the library was off in a quiet spot.

I don't recall hearing that overhead noise in the Explorations Café (other than what comes from other areas), either. It is one inside area where it is actually possible to sit and read in peace! Too bad that a pleasant non-revenue producing space can't be offered.

Understood. Depending on the ship some of those things may not be going on. Vista/Sig Class ships tend to do the "game shows" in the Queens Lounge for instance.

Explorer's Lounge is always super quiet and if there IS a music performance it's whatever the latest incarnation of Adagio is (duet, trio, quartet etc). Pinnacle Bar rarely has much going on. Ocean Bar (the side without the stage is usually really mellow), Silk Den on the Signature Class is amazing...

Depending on the ship you'll have lots of choices... and I only mentioned the indoor ones :D

The places listed are quiet during DAYLIGHT hours only. Once sunset hits, there is no place, save cabin, for quiet reading. There is no public space quiet, comfortable, and well-lit enough for reading in the evening. If the space is quiet, comfortable, and well-lit, it's guaranteed to changed after 15 minutes -- when the musicians/karaoke/game shows start, or when the lights are dimmed.

As to the Ocean Bar, trying to read in there on a sea day? -- FORGET IT; Art Auctions. The areas is closed off for at least two hours before and two hours after the auction. It's ridiculous, and not like there is the option to pop off the ship for some quite reading ashore.

The best bet for quiet space during the day is to find a table in the Lido, though then it's possible there will be judgey people calling "table-hogging." :o

From the very informative and beautiful website: koningsdam.hollandamerica.com

EXPLORATIONS CAFÉ POWERED BY THE NEW YORK TIMES

Relax in the comfortable coffeehouse atmosphere of Explorations Café, powered by The New York Times, featuring the daily crossword puzzle, custom espresso drinks and pastries, and a comprehensive selection of books and travel guides.

I always wondered what "powered" meant.

It's not as if the NYT underwrites the coffee bar and internet cafe. Passengers pay for those. :)

I always wondered what "powered" meant.

It's not as if the NYT underwrites the coffee bar and internet cafe. Passengers pay for those. :)

My guess is the NYT pays a fee for naming rights :)

The day I won the written trivia quiz the prize was a big coffee house cup, soup bowl sized and shaped, with the Explorations Café name and logo, and below that it has the words The New York Times in the same font as on the paper's front page.