Carry passports?

sk8beaker8

Whether to carry passports ashore when you're not obliged to do so is frequently debated on Cruise Critic - here's the latest thread on the subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1906974

The majority on that thread advise leaving your passport in the safe in your cabin & that's a fairly typical split, but there is a sizeable minority with the opposite view. Your cruise, your opinion, your decision.

In Italy we've never been required to show passports either dis-embarking or re-boarding ......... except Venice, where we've not had to show our passport to dis-embark but have had to show them to re-board.

Although this requirement is well-publicised, some dumb folk aren't aware or forget - consequently they don't have their passport when they return to the port.

They're not marooned in Venice 'til the end of time ;).

But they are hauled out of the boarding line, & a member of the ship's purser's staff has to check them on the passenger manifest with a port official before that official allows them to board, with a very public flea-in-the-ear.

Very embarrassing for them. :o

As I found out :D

JB :)

There are a few ports in the Med where you are required to carry your passport. (Your ship will let you know which ports those area, if any are on your itinerary.)

Failing that, it is a personal decision what to carry while ashore. Passports are a prime target for pickpockets, so if you do plan to carry yours ashore, make sure it is in a completely secure location (such as a hidden money belt, not just a zipped pocket). Many people, myself included prefer to leave the passport in the ship safe and carry a copy. Note that the copy does not replace a passport. But in 40 years of cruising and many private and DIY tours, I've not come close to missing the ship -- but I have been pickpocketed.

One other thing to know: on some itineraries the ship staff will collect and hold your passport. This is to facilitate getting clearance in certain ports and is not something to worry over.

We never carry our passports unless there is a requirement to and that is very infrequent.

The reason is that I believe there is a much greater chance of losing or having my passport stolen then the benefit of having the passport with me.

We do carry a copy but that copy is technically worthless. We carry that and a couple of passport photos in the unlikely event that we needed a new passport and that would help to facilitate it.

The only time we had an issue not having a passport was at a money exchange store (I rarely ever use one) in one of the European Countries where they wanted to see my passport and a copy would not do.

So if given the choice our passport always stays on the ship unless there is a requirement to carry it.

Keith

Carry your passport with you, in a secure place not with your wallet. Make copies of the main page & also your credit cards, including the contact #'s. Most accounts have a different # for Europe.

My husband and I carry different cards, and carry one copy of each others documentation while traveling. We also leave copies & one card in the safe in the cabin. If we do get robbed or lose something, the vacation can go on. Invest in a neck wallet or good travel purse & enjoy the trip.

We needed our passport to get back in the port area in Venice last year, even though they did not tell us to take it getting off the ship.

In our land travels in Europe, we have also been asked for them when we exchanged money or even used a credit card. The European mechants dislike scammers just as much as U.S. merchants do.

In the Caribbean with many beach excursions, I can understand not taking it with you. In Europe I wouldn't get off the ship without it.

If you plan on buying a SIM card for your smartphone or tablet, you will need your passport. Some Internet cafes will still want a passport instead of a DL or a passport copy. I'm not sure if it happens anymore, but I do remember having to have my passport for a purchase of crystal in Prague to do the VAT paperwork at the shop.

That said, I would just think about what you are going to do at each stop of your trip and plan accordingly. I don't take mine with me all the time, but I always have a copy and 2 photos with me (again, I know the copy is worthless, but has info on it if I need to get a replacement). And, (shameless plug), I always wear my RoadID bracelet (it has a number and PIN where all my emergency/medical/travel information can be accessed). With the copy and my RoadID, if I am ever in a position where I cannot talk for myself, those two things can speak volumes on my behalf. Because I am a solo traveler, I consider these two items totally essential parts of my travel goodies.

If you're a pensioner and a citizen of an EU country, you get free admission to most state-run attractions. Whether a copy of the passport would do, I don't know.

Other than that, there's nowhere in western Europe where you need i.d. - though I suppose if your credit card is not chip-and-pin, they might ask for further i.d.

Look at my signature and let me repeat: DO NOT CARRY YOUR USA PASSPORT WITH YOU!!!! Trust me - I know![/QUOT

With all the discussions about passport or not, pls explain the procedure and papers necessary for getting a replacement passport for US citizens should they loose it while in a foreign country.

Look at my signature and let me repeat: DO NOT CARRY YOUR USA PASSPORT WITH YOU!!!! Trust me - I know![/QUOT

With all the discussions about passport or not, pls explain the procedure and papers necessary for getting a replacement passport for US citizens should they loose it while in a foreign country.

You would have to go to the Embassy or nearest consulate - ask for the American Sector area - explain what happened. How quickly they could get you another one is not my area of expertise (I was an administrative officer in another area); however, I am guessing that it would be a fairly quick turnaround as long as you still had proper identification. If they rob you of everything then it's going to take longer. Obviously, all of this can be avoided by not carrying your passports with you while sightseeing. Get on the ship and immediately lock them in the safe.

It can be a major problem depending on where you happen to be when it happens. If there is a US Embassy or Consulate in the area you would go to that place, wait your turn, request emergency replacements (you must pay for this service) and just wait. You might have to wait for 1 or 2 days (you just never know) which can become very expensive if your ship is long gone. But the bad situation is when you are in a place that has no nearby consulate. It is possible that you would have to leave your cruise, make your way to the nearest consul (which might mean a train ride) and then wait for replacements. And then you would have to catch-up to your cruise or get home at your own expense. This is why some of us who do a lot of international travel always advise folks to not carry your Passport unless it's absolutely necessary. Of course others disagree, but I guarantee that none of them every lost their passport :).

I should mention that on our Silhouette cruise last year, a Policeman who was a passenger on our cruise had his Passport stolen while he was on a beach in Tel Aviv. He was a little lucky because our ship was moving from Ashodod to Haifa that night and spending 2 days in Haifa. He spent the better part of both port days (in Haifa) working on getting a replacement Passport. Not only did he have the out of pocket expenses to pay for the Passport, but he lost nearly $1000 in tours (pre booked for he and his wife) since he did not have to take his tours.

Hank

It can be a major problem depending on where you happen to be when it happens. If there is a US Embassy or Consulate in the area you would go to that place, wait your turn, request emergency replacements (you must pay for this service) and just wait. You might have to wait for 1 or 2 days (you just never know) which can become very expensive if your ship is long gone. But the bad situation is when you are in a place that has no nearby consulate. It is possible that you would have to leave your cruise, make your way to the nearest consul (which might mean a train ride) and then wait for replacements. And then you would have to catch-up to your cruise or get home at your own expense. This is why some of us who do a lot of international travel always advise folks to not carry your Passport unless it's absolutely necessary. Of course others disagree, but I guarantee that none of them every lost their passport :).

I should mention that on our Silhouette cruise last year, a Policeman who was a passenger on our cruise had his Passport stolen while he was on a beach in Tel Aviv. He was a little lucky because our ship was moving from Ashodod to Haifa that night and spending 2 days in Haifa. He spent the better part of both port days (in Haifa) working on getting a replacement Passport. Not only did he have the out of pocket expenses to pay for the Passport, but he lost nearly $1000 in tours (pre booked for he and his wife) since he did not have to take his tours.

Hank

Hank you made a lot of great points - I couldn't have said it better. In my working at embassies around the world I could tell you horror stories of people losing their passports and all IDs - or people getting deathly ill with no insurance and one of the stragest cases I ever handled while I was duty officer at the embassy in Caracas: an American citizen on Carnival - her husband was dying and Carnival arranged for them to go to a hospital - Carnival of course didn't stick around and the husband died shortly thereafter. The hospital wanted $10,000 or they were not going to release the body. To make this all the more interesting - the woman was an American citizen living in Detroit and believe it or not she couldn't speak one word of english. It would take me another 1,000 words to complete the story. So people - don't carry your passports with you - speak the language of the country you are from - and make sure you have world-wide accepted insurance.

Do NOT and I Repeat do NOT carry your passport with you. By the way, leave jewelry on the ship. Don't take all your credit cards with you or all ATM cards. And if this was the USA I would say the same thing.

Think of it this way.

What is more likely. You miss the ship or you lose or someone steals your passport or jewelry or wallet.

The only time we carry our passport is the few times where it is mandatory.

We just don't want to take the chance.

In some cities, people target tourists for items such as passports.

It's just not worth the hassle or the risk.

I have traveled to almost 250 cities around the world. Again, only time i carried them was in a handful of places where that was a requirement such as one port in Japan, Israel and a few others. Don't do it.

You are not going to get 100% agreement on this one as you won't on any issue such as is it ok if I fly in the day of the cruise?

Don't do it.

Keith

Hank you made a lot of great points - I couldn't have said it better. In my working at embassies around the world I could tell you horror stories of people losing their passports and all IDs - or people getting deathly ill with no insurance and one of the stragest cases I ever handled while I was duty officer at the embassy in Caracas: an American citizen on Carnival - her husband was dying and Carnival arranged for them to go to a hospital - Carnival of course didn't stick around and the husband died shortly thereafter. The hospital wanted $10,000 or they were not going to release the body. To make this all the more interesting - the woman was an American citizen living in Detroit and believe it or not she couldn't speak one word of english. It would take me another 1,000 words to complete the story. So people - don't carry your passports with you - speak the language of the country you are from - and make sure you have world-wide accepted insurance.

Hi Jerry,

You should write your blog/book to tell us about your experience - very interesting! :):):)

Got more story to entertain us? :p

Hi Jerry,

You should write your blog/book to tell us about your experience - very interesting! :):):)

Got more story to entertain us? :p

It's more entertaining just talking about it. I have a buddy who is CIA retired - his stories are far more interesting.

On that situation I wrote about in Caracas: the woman only spoke Polish (we had to find someone from the Polish Embassy (in Caracas) that could translate for us. We eventually got a House of Representative from Michigan to intercede and helped her get her husband's body back.

My solution was to also get the passport card and leave the full passport on board. Yes, you cannot officially use the card for air travel, BUT in the event of needing a replacement I suspect it functions as a decent ID and if stolen cannot be altered to fly into the US.

Haven't needed it, so can't speak to actual efficacy.

As this in on the Italian board, I would like to remind all to have the address and phone number

of your embassy and consulate in the countries you visit.

It seems, Jerry, that we were colleagues. I was in the Danish foreign service back in the 70th. My main issues were with stolen passports in former Eastern European countries.

NEVER carry your actual passport with you - you will be absolutely fine with copies.

Not always. I've been to ports where passengers who didn't have their passport on them (but had copies) where asked to supply some legal identification for example a driver's license.

Not always. I've been to ports where passengers who didn't have their passport on them (but had copies) where asked to supply some legal identification for example a driver's license.

The cruises I've been on usually tell folks when it is necessary to carry some sort of ID with them.

I nearly always carry my DL rather than my passport, unless a passport is specifically required.

There are also places that will ask you to leave some sort of an ID when renting an audioguide, for example. I'd much rather leave them my DL than my passport.

If you're a pensioner and a citizen of an EU country, you get free admission to most state-run attractions. Whether a copy of the passport would do, I don't know.

Other than that, there's nowhere in western Europe where you need i.d. - though I suppose if your credit card is not chip-and-pin, they might ask for further i.d.

In Herculaneum passport copies were accepted for free admission for our kids.

Archived