Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

I know that on other forums, Charming Charlie has been mentioned . There is one of those stores not far from me which is pretty neat..everything is grouped by color!

I have gotten some statement pieces at Chico stores that were on sale, but I'm not sure how good a sale you can get online.

I absolutely love David Aubrey's jewelry... I have many pieces purchased over rhe years and I always get many compliments. It is expensive , but there are frequently sample sales with amazing prices. The regular " specials" section can be good but the sample sale is the best. I stock up!

http://www.davidaubrey.com/home.html

You can buy his stuff on Amazon ( small selection) and other websites as well.

Thanks I have been looking at all the sights you guys suggested. I had read on here before about the Charlie store and they did not have the internet sight yet. It's fun pulling all my outfits together. I come out all dresses to my boys and my husband. They just don't have the excitement other females would have. Thanks ladies!!

We came home from The Lake House this morning...and since DH watched Explorer of the Seas dock in Bermuda earlier, he put some Cruise Clothes in the Cruise Room:). Yikes!! He's ahead of me...but tomorrow, I will start The Process:cool:...and hand out treats in the evening to the neighborhood (and others who get driven to our neighborhood!).

Try www.sammoon.com for jewelry as well. The prices are great, so you won't feel the least bit guilty.

I don't have a cruise room, or really just cruise clothes. However, I do plan things out pretty extensively. We sail in about 2 weeks, and I have every outfit, pair of shoes and jewelry completely picked out. Since I don't want them packed into a suitcase yet, they are in a special area of the closet, waiting patiently.

Hopefully, I won't be the only person wearing a full length dress on formal night on Majesty, seeing it's just a 3 day cruise. I love dressing up.

Try www.sammoon.com for jewelry as well. The prices are great, so you won't feel the least bit guilty.

I don't have a cruise room, or really just cruise clothes. However, I do plan things out pretty extensively. We sail in about 2 weeks, and I have every outfit, pair of shoes and jewelry completely picked out. Since I don't want them packed into a suitcase yet, they are in a special area of the closet, waiting patiently.

Hopefully, I won't be the only person wearing a full length dress on formal night on Majesty, seeing it's just a 3 day cruise. I love dressing up.

Others will look at you and think, "I wish I had dressed up like that!" Have a great cruise.

Have you had any experience with this company?? Their prices and jewelry are fantastic. But how do the pieces look? Maybe for the cost it's worth a try....

Yesterday, 8:30 AM: Opened the Cruise Room closet doors, work sheets ready to list all items needed for each outfit!

This time the dresser drawers weren't opened to lay out every top and shorts. I started with outfits for the port days:

1. Choose shorts and top

2. Choose shoes and accessories

Shoes are lined up, jewelry is all visible, but didn't think it was necessary to do my usual Lay Out Tops by Color, etc.

After Port Days daytime outfits, I went to Sea Days outfits (starting with the warmest days, then the cooler to coldest days).

Next - Formal Nights (2)

Then - Casual Dinner Nights.

I had to stop with four more Casual Nights to go. Trick or Treaters were about to start knocking on the door. I took the first hour, DH took the second (decided by a coin flip). The weather started out okay, but went downhill from there. By the time my hour was over, rain was soaking every little goblin:(. DH didn't have as many opportunities to pass out candy since the wind and rain invaded the evening.

...getting back to The Process: I won't be posting photos of me in every outfit, but will try very hard to arrange outfits so you can see what will be worn on The Next Cruise. Photos no later than Monday.

laurspag: When do you pack? FWIW - I have found that it doesn't matter if suitcases are ready a couple weeks in advance, or a couple days. Clothes come out the same - never needed to send anything for pressing.

I fold each item as little as possible, i.e. Tops: instead of folding in the sides and then folding in half, simply folding in half (with tissue at the fold) works. Capris are folded, one leg over the other, put on a hanger, and laid out in the suitcase side to side. If they are longer, I fold the extra length over the next item...

Sounds confusing in writing icon5.gif - I'll post photos...

Edited by indiana71

That's a great site. I found a few pieces I like. Thanks!:)

I took a couple photos of outfits yesterday. They're okay...if only I would learn how to take a delay photo w/ the new camera...modeling the clothes, IMHO, shows better...:rolleyes:

13 pairs of shoes this time - that's my average for 10 nights:cool:

Ironing begins as soon as I sign off. Will take photos to show packing progress. Posting by Monday AM.

I have ordered jewelry from Sam Moon a few times. I am especially fond of necklaces, but I have also ordered rings, earrings, and scarves from here as well. All were good quality. I do pay attention to scale, because I think it can really throw you off if a necklace comes in larger or smaller than what you anticipated. Most of them have pictures on a mannequin, and that is very helpful.

We are flying down to Miami on a Thursday. We set sail on Friday, then we are in Cococay Saturday, Nassau on Sunday and we head back on Monday. We are really looking forward to it.

I think one advantage we have is later dinner seating. We often wander around and admire the formal night attire for the earlier seating, and see people getting their photos done. If we really feel a bit concerned that no one will be wearing a full length dress, I will have an extra dress with me. That is much easier to do on a 3 day cruise than a longer one! All of my dresses are nicer dresses anyway. By that I mean that on the casual nights, my dresses are rather cocktail like. I think many people would wear them on formal night.

The idea of bringing the extra dress wasn't based on this possible dilemma - it was based on me not being able to decide which dress for the last night. My husband was just as stuck as I was, and he suggested I take 4 dresses for the 3 nights. Imagine that - it was my husband's idea!

I do have all my jewelry in my jewelry roll, my shoes are out and all the odds and ends. my dresses, tops, etc. are all in one area of the closet, ready to go. Since I don't have an extra bedroom, it is easiest for me to not move the suitcases around for two weeks.;)

Instead of laying out every top and every pair of shorts, etc., I simply opened each drawer and pulled out a couple potential pieces. Closet doors open, jewelry and shoes on display. (DH's pile is on the little table).

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5%3C84%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27469989%3A9244ot1lsi

Next is a photo taken from another angle. Outfits are put together on the bed or on a hanger.

232323232%7Ffp%3B69%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3655%3A898%3B9335nu0mrj

Our itinerary is clipped to a lamp shade. Make up bag is ready.

Next post will show Formal Night outfits.

Edited by indiana71

This is The Red Dress. In an earlier photo, I posed so you could see the back. Accessories are black satin strappy heels and jewelry.

232323232%7Ffp%3B8%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3655%3A898%3B%3A335nu0mrj

Pants haven't been on the spreadsheet for Formal Night for several cruises, so they made it into the rotation this time.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv658%3B%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27469%3A%3A4%3B3244ot1lsi

Scroll down to the next post to see how the packing is going. (I'll post a couple outfits pix soon...)

Because the bottom of a suitcase isn't flat (at least in ours), it's important to keep the packing level as even as possible. This is DH's suitcase (mostly his stuff, a little bit of mine). Undergarments, swimsuits and/or small evening handbags fill in where wrinkles aren't an issue. No tissue paper here, since the items are mostly odd shapes and again, wrinkles aren't an issue. The big white thing is my shoe bag - can't forget that:eek:! Shoes generally are packed on the sides where it's most rigid.

232323232%7Ffp%3B6%3A%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3655%3A9%3B3%3C6335nu0mrj

DH's shorts take up more space than mine. One pair makes one layer. Notice that the waist of each is placed on opposite ends. That keeps everything level.

232323232%7Ffp%3B92%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3655%3A9%3B3%3C7335nu0mrj

And last for this post, DH's golf shirts, etc. I like to stuff small items in shoes - keeps them from smooshing and makes it easier to find the nightlight, sunscreen. The white mesh thing is my shower bag. It has a metal rod that holds it up over the shower faucet - can't forget that, either:cool:!

232323232%7Ffp%3B77%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3655%3A9%3B3%3C8335nu0mrj

Indiana71.... Is your shoe bag just a regular size one or smaller??? Shoe storage on board is a big thing for me... After lots of cruising I still can't come up with a solution for keeping them organized...they seem to always get separated from their mate....and scattered all other the closet floor....HELP!!!

Indiana71.... Is your shoe bag just a regular size one or smaller??? Shoe storage on board is a big thing for me... After lots of cruising I still can't come up with a solution for keeping them organized...they seem to always get separated from their mate....and scattered all other the closet floor....HELP!!!

How about something like this or one that hangs?

http://www.taylorgifts.com/item/zephyr_underbed_shoe_organizer/W82579

ocbeachbums: Below is a photo that gives an idea of the shoe bag. It is hanging over the bathroom door. If you look to the right of the stateroom door, you can see shoes protruding from the slots. This bag came from WalMart several years ago, and holds 16 pairs. Before The Bag, shoes were scattered all over!:eek::cool:

232323232%7Ffp%3B%3B4%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D359%3B%3C4465%3B335nu0mrj

geocruiser: The yellow outfit is one I had out for our June Family Cruise - but never wore. The skirt is Talbot's. The necklace is made of acrylic beads and string (from a local fun shop). The white top is from Nordstrom's and was purchased for Cruise #1 in 2006. It has a matching Bolero.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv7923%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E27469%3A%3A4%3B6244ot1lsi

We talk a lot about Outfits and post really helpful photos that inspire other CCFs...

well, on Thursday I'm going to take another step: a Before and After makeup photo:eek:. Photo #1 will be a completely bare face and hair as it is in the morning (scary!). Photo #2 will be after hair and makeup - showing an ordinary-looking middle aged female, with no professional make-up artistry. Stay tuned...

Indiana,

You need to write a book. It could be called Perfect Planning and Packing for the Cruising Fashionista.

I got a good laugh from the picture that had your clothes and accessories all over the room and the table with the little pile of your husband's clothes.:D

Thanks for sharing, Indiana. Love seeing how you put together nice outfits.

I bought two similar skirts at Talbots this summer (one is navy with rope detail and the other is lightish blue with sailboats). When I bought them I actually thought, I bet Indiana has one of these! There are a bit shorter for me, a nice replacement for shorts and fit my pear-shaped body well. Glad to see my instincts were right.

And when I saw the sunscreen in the shoes, I thought "Oh No!" but then remembered you drive to port instead of flying It is not uncommon for sunscreen tubes to 'explode' during the pressurization and depressurization that occurs during flight so I always have mine in a ziplock baggie. Also makes it convenient and neat for transferring to the beach bag.