Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

lovestx: Funny you should mention getting rid of some of the lipsticks. I have thrown a few away in the past year. After a couple wearings, if the color isn't complimentary, if the color has slid off my lips and on to my chin, if the feel is too dry...it went in the trash:p. The department store brands can be returned. (I've done that within a couple weeks, with the receipt).

It is interesting that, at least for me, price doesn't seem to matter when it comes to quality, etc.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments on the Red Dress. DH has taken a liking to bow ties lately. That one came from amazon. :cool: (His outfit, like mine will be going on The Next Cruise...except my pumps will be exchanged for strappy black sandals).

I love the red dress! And I will not admit to how many lipsticks I have....I will just admit to owning a professional make-up case that is full of not so necessary items ;) I sometimes wear high heels but that is bc I'm 4'11 and my hubs 6'4". Clothes, even in petite are too long....but I'll take tennis shoes or flip flops over anything!

Hello to all - I will admit to having lurked long enough to have read this entire thread :eek: and it has been fun!

On the lipstick issue, I never wore lipstick on a regular basis until just a few years ago. I could never find the right color, texture, feel, etc. Until I found Cover Girl Outlast All Day Lipcolor (not the stain). This is the only thing I wear.

They have two different kinds - one comes with color on one end and gloss on the other end - I am not a fan of this one. The one I use comes with two applicators - one is the color; the other is a moisturizer that goes over the top and "sets" the color.

The lipstick is a little dry - you would not want to apply it without putting the moisturizing cover over it. But, it will last for hours!! I have this in two colors - one for casual/day wear, and a richer, darker color for more dressy times. I can drink, eat, talk all day, and this stuff stays on. Of course, being Cover Girl it is very reasonably priced. :)

olemissgal100: The leather shorts, flowy blouse and heels sounds like a fabulous outfit and I know dressy shorts are in style...I would say, pack it, plan to wear it...and see what others are wearing on Casual Nights. No doubt, you will look good, and if you feel confident - wear it and be proud:cool::).

My packing is 98% done - only a few more misc items to go. I'm doing a double check of my spreadsheet and packing list today. Don't want to forget anything:eek:. Only 11 more days to go!!

QUESTION: Has anyone ever had lost luggage on a cruise? I've heard that the cruise line gives some clothing, but what about under garments, shoes, etc.????

Edited by indiana71

Just back from my transatlantic - and dealing with major luggage and laundry issues ....LOL

But we have just booked a family cruise to the Bahamas in mid december - only 4 weeks away!!! So this solves some of my problem - just doing laundry and repacking most of the 'summery' stuff - cruise box will stay out just a bit longer - no need to put anything away just yet.....

And also gave up lipsticks as they just never stay put - huge fan of the COVER GIRL lip stay - as mentioned - one tube color - one 'balm/moisturizer' - have a pretty big selection (about 8 or them?) and they are reasonably priced and STAY ON - thru eating, drinking etc.....I have no use for regular lipsticks anymore - altho I do have a few lip glosses as well....to sparkle things up as required! :)

Edited by Froufie

olemissgal100: The leather shorts, flowy blouse and heels sounds like a fabulous outfit and I know dressy shorts are in style...I would say, pack it, plan to wear it...and see what others are wearing on Casual Nights. No doubt, you will look good, and if you feel confident - wear it and be proud:cool::).

My packing is 98% done - only a few more misc items to go. I'm doing a double check of my spreadsheet and packing list today. Don't want to forget anything:eek:. Only 11 more days to go!!

QUESTION: Has anyone ever had lost luggage on a cruise? I've heard that the cruise line gives some clothing, but what about under garments, shoes, etc.????

Yes I have lost luggage on a cruise. We were on our only Costa Cruise. One of my suit cases never came. Was lost for ever. The only time I was dressed right for dinner was toga night. The bed sheet came in handy.

I have been following the comments about Palazzo Pants. I used to love them and would like to find some now. Does anyone have any suggestions for good online sites for Palazzos? Thank you :)

I have seen them on the Dress Barn site. You could try EBay also. And there is always google. Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.

I have seen them on the Dress Barn site. You could try EBay also. And there is always google. Good luck I hope you find what you are looking for.

Thank you. I'll check Dress Barn. I've been checking ebay and Google, but I'm hoping someone has a definite tried-and-true site, too.

UHOH...we are going on our cruise THIS Saturday and neither of us have even started to pack! :eek:

Tomorrow morning I will do laundry and THEN the packing will begin. We drive to the Houston Port so weight does not matter for us....Thank Goodness!

UHOH...we are going on our cruise THIS Saturday and neither of us have even started to pack! :eek:

Tomorrow morning I will do laundry and THEN the packing will begin. We drive to the Houston Port so weight does not matter for us....Thank Goodness!

Yikes! I would be in total panic mode. Hope you have a great cruise!

For the past week I've been putting on a different lipstick in the morning to see how long it would last. L'Oreal "Ruby Flame" is red and didn't fade, run or smudge. In fact, after 8 hours (and lunch), it was still noticeable - not as bright but still some detectable color.

That lipstick will be my go-to for dinner and evening. It's a little too red for daytime in the Caribbean...

Froufie: Thank you for sharing your good experience with Cover Girl lipstay, one tube color. I've tried the longwear that comes as one tube color, one tube the waxy top layer that keeps lips from drying out. I'll check out the Cover Girl aisle.

I've been using Garnier BB Cream Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfector for Combination to Oily Skin. Interesting that printed on the tube is: "Broad Spectrum SPF 20 Sunscreen" and the directions for application refer to the product as sunscreen..and yet I've read that it does lots more than that.

This BB Cream is replacing my daytime moisturizer. It's tinted and large pores aren't as noticeable.

Hello all. I too have found reading this entire thread to be very helpful. For the lipstick question, I finally got tired of lipstick bleeding into the little lines. I tried liner but that didn't help. Cover Girl lip stain did it for me. Love the stuff and bought one of every color they offer.

I leave in one week for my 25 day cruise. I have lost 112 pounds in the last 14 months and bought an entire new wardrobe; mostly at Ross thanks to learning about it here.

I started with basic Gloria Vanderbilt pegged ankle dress slacks with 5 gold buttons on the outside ankle area and a handkerchief hemmed black crepe skirt.

For formal nights I have a long silk heavily beaded jacket purchased from India. Very heavy.

I bought 7 fancy tops and 7 semi-fancy tops for mix and match. I can pair any of them with the jacket and make it formal.

Two pair of kitten heels one black one white. Black with a sassy sparkly bow and the white are strappy.

Then a pair of white daywear slacks and white capris and chocolate capris for day wear. One pair long white denim shorts. Several tees in different colors to match.

Black and denim jeans for the few colder night leaving and returning to San Diego. And of course tennies and my workout gear.

What do you all think? Will this do it for that length cruise?

Hello all. I too have found reading this entire thread to be very helpful. For the lipstick question, I finally got tired of lipstick bleeding into the little lines. I tried liner but that didn't help. Cover Girl lip stain did it for me. Love the stuff and bought one of every color they offer.

I leave in one week for my 25 day cruise. I have lost 112 pounds in the last 14 months and bought an entire new wardrobe; mostly at Ross thanks to learning about it here.

I started with basic Gloria Vanderbilt pegged ankle dress slacks with 5 gold buttons on the outside ankle area and a handkerchief hemmed black crepe skirt.

For formal nights I have a long silk heavily beaded jacket purchased from India. Very heavy.

I bought 7 fancy tops and 7 semi-fancy tops for mix and match. I can pair any of them with the jacket and make it formal.

Two pair of kitten heels one black one white. Black with a sassy sparkly bow and the white are strappy.

Then a pair of white daywear slacks and white capris and chocolate capris for day wear. One pair long white denim shorts. Several tees in different colors to match.

Black and denim jeans for the few colder night leaving and returning to San Diego. And of course tennies and my workout gear.

Congratulations on your weight loss! That was a great accomplishment:)

Are you bring a shawl for the night on the ship if the AC is high?

I bought a very cute little black sweater with black and white "pearls" down the front as decoration, no buttons on it. And a little knit white shrug. And I did throw in my old jogging jacket - it ain't pretty but will do for daytime coolness.

Thanks for the good thoughts. It was due to lots of hard work. I intend to have lots of good food on this cruise. I will visit the gym every morning. Except Christmas day. I will rest that day. LOL.

I forgot I also have two dresses. A gorgeous color block that is black on the sides and has fuschia and white stylized orchids on the front and a sparkly pull over dress with elastic empire waistline and flouncy, floaty silk material.

Edited by kakalina

I bought a very cute little black sweater with black and white "pearls" down the front as decoration, no buttons on it. And a little knit white shrug. And I did throw in my old jogging jacket - it ain't pretty but will do for daytime coolness.

Thanks for the good thoughts. It was due to lots of hard work. I intend to have lots of good food on this cruise. I will visit the gym every morning. Except Christmas day. I will rest that day. LOL.

I forgot I also have two dresses. A gorgeous color block that is black on the sides and has fuschia and white stylized orchids on the front and a sparkly pull over dress with elastic empire waistline and flouncy, floaty silk material.

Oh my....how wonderful that you have worked so hard to get healthy!!! Congrats. So impressive.

Before I saw this most recent post by you, I thought to myself "She needs to have a few dresses in there to really feel special" So very glad to see that you have two. If it were me, I'd be bringing a few more items but that's just me. And having to buy an entirely new wardrobe is expensive so I think your mix and matching makes sense.

But don't you think you'll want at least one more pair of shorts or a casual skirt or two for excursions?

Thanks lovestx. I also forgot to add the two sundresses. One is black background with huge red hibiscus flowers, thin straps and elasticized middle. It has a full skirt and is very cute. The other is white background with pastel flowers, belted and flared skirt with covered shoulders. That one is a little big on me now but I can cinch the belt tighter and it will work.

Some of the tops I am bringing are a deep ocean blue silk top with orchids on it in shades of blue on side coming to a long point and the other side normal length. A black mandarin collar pull over with silver braid loops on the front. A gorgeous silk/chiffon purple see through with gold squares in the sheer material and a matching chemise under it. A silky red tee with big black flower outlined in black crystal. A cotton tee with shiny squares on it sleeveless. Two more floaty blouses that come to a point front and back with the underblouse normal shape. Both prints in bright colors.

I saw a red sequined tank top at Ross and I am going back to get it today. It will go well with the black skirt and beaded jacket for Christmas Eve. I think.

I appreciate all the assistance I can get. Having always worn extremely large sizes I have not had much experience at coordinating pulled together outfits.

I also got some great jewelry at Swarovski. A crystal cuff, a couple of thin bracelets and a lovely crystal necklace.

Edited by kakalina

kakalina: A Standing Ovation to youicon14.gif - what a commendable effort! 112 pounds is certainly life changing and you deserve a new wardrobe:).

Everything you are packing sounds perfect. PLEASE have some photos you can share when you return. 25 days of cruising makes me envious. You have worked hard and the fact that you will work out onboard means you plan to keep up a healthy routine.

DH and I often watch port cams when a ship is departing Bayonne NJ or Florida. And we say, "Are cruisers on deck waving or watching the land disappear; or establishing a rapport with a bar stool and bartender; OR in their stateroom feverishly unpacking..."

So here's the QUESTION: When do you unpack? OR do you live out of your suitcase?

DH & I like to be onboard around 11:30 AM, have lunch at noon, wander around (with big smiles that we are FINALLY on a ship again) until staterooms are ready. If luggage is delivered, we have about an hour to unpack as much as we can. DH stands by the shoebag and I hand/toss shoes to him. One suitcase at a time (we'll have 3 this cruise). Hang up items in closet (I bring skirt hangers), others in drawers or on a shelf.

At 3 PM we go for Our First Adult Beverage. By then, almost everything is away or ready to be. The smaller suitcase is fitted inside a big one and slid under the bed. The other large suitcase stands on end and will be our hamper.

Edited by indiana71

No living out of a suitcase for us! We usually board the ship, have a look around, go have some lunch - and by that time the luggage has usually been delivered to the room. I go ahead and unpack everything (like you, I bring extra hangers, but unlike you, my husband is no help!!) - once unpacked, the suitcases go under the bed. But I like your idea about the "hamper" - I'm stealing that idea next month!

Then the night before disembarkation, I sadly pack everything back in the suitcases, put them in the hallway, and dread the morning!