Chose Celebrity over Viking- maybe Oceania?

jabrown40

So many people helped me with my previous question, I just had to get opinions again. We booked the Venice/ Greek isles trip with Celebrity, 10 days on Constellation for August 2018 Aq aft balcony 1140. Itinerary is Depart Venice, Dubrovnik overnight, sea day, Crete, Mykonos, Athens , santorini, katakolon, at sea, Venice. We liked the idea of the two sea days, and Viking did not stop in Santorini(an island I really want to visit ). I thought I was pretty decided, then saw the itinerary for Oceania! Overnight and leave from Venice, Dubrovnik , kotor, argostoli? Santorini, Rhodes, Mykonos, and Athens. The ship arrives in Dubrovnik at noon, appreciate sleeping in a little, leaves at 11pm. Santorini 12 to 9p. We could swing a balcony cabin, and have heard so much about the food. So all you that have experienced the two ships, any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So many people helped me with my previous question, I just had to get opinions again. We booked the Venice/ Greek isles trip with Celebrity, 10 days on Constellation for August 2018 Aq aft balcony 1140. Itinerary is Depart Venice, Dubrovnik overnight, sea day, Crete, Mykonos, Athens , santorini, katakolon, at sea, Venice. We liked the idea of the two sea days, and Viking did not stop in Santorini(an island I really want to visit ). I thought I was pretty decided, then saw the itinerary for Oceania! Overnight and leave from Venice, Dubrovnik , kotor, argostoli? Santorini, Rhodes, Mykonos, and Athens. The ship arrives in Dubrovnik at noon, appreciate sleeping in a little, leaves at 11pm. Santorini 12 to 9p. We could swing a balcony cabin, and have heard so much about the food. So all you that have experienced the two ships, any suggestions?

We actually stayed in 1140 on the Summit and 1139 on the Connie. We LOVED both cabins but especially 1140 while sailing. Blu was very good too. Much better than we experienced in the MDR on Eclipse.

You didn't mention which ship on Oceania. Oceania ships are smaller than Celebrity's. The R class have up to 685 passengers. The Riviera and Marina have 1,258 while the M class Celebrity ships have 1,950.

We have two aft A2 Concierge cabins booked on the Rivera next year. We sailed the Marina in 2014. It was the best food we've experienced at sea to date. Oceania is currently running a promotion that includes round trip air from gateway cities, free internet and one other perk. If you can book Concierge on the smaller O ships they double the free specialty restaurant reservations.

You have to determine what's more important to you that check those boxes which more match your personal choices. We did that so we're about to book a 2019 Oceania Marina cruise later today.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

It is on the Riviera. Does anyone know rules for bringing alcohol on board Oceania? I would love to get local wine in Venice, is there a corkage fee? Can you bring alcohol for your room?

Three bottles of wine. Corkage fee in public areas $25/bottle. No liquor or beer. Here's a link to a CC article.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=38

Correction from earlier: We're booked on the the Regatta not Riviera.

Take a look at cabin 7111 on Riviera if still available. It's a B2 Veranda with an extended balcony and two railings so you can actually face the front of the ship. Search the Oceania board for 7111 and you'll see some pics. Two loungers, two chairs and a table.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

It is on the Riviera. Does anyone know rules for bringing alcohol on board Oceania? I would love to get local wine in Venice, is there a corkage fee? Can you bring alcohol for your room?

yes you can bring wine & spirits for use in your cabin

If you read on the O forum many bring cases of wine without an issue

corkage fee applies when you take the wine to the public venues

I have cruised on the Riviera twice this last year. It is my favorite ship. You can bring on any wine or liquor you want. Even at port stops. We would buy local wines pay the $25. corkage and use our OBC for that. Our last cruise was Rome to Venice. We loved Argostoli Greece. We ate in all 4 spec. dine., MDR and outside at Terrace grill for dinner. All where smashing. I would go with Oceania it is a step up from the mass cruise lines. It also included airfare and $99. upgrade to Prem. Econ. on British Air RT LAX.

We like Oceania a lot, you can take aboard any wine you want at embarkation and at ports, just the corkage in public venues as others have said. If they did a one way for Alaska I'd have looked at them for our upcoming Alaska cruise. Dubrovnik has a fantastic little restaurant down by the water near the wall, I think it was called Orseolo or something like that. X's prices are getting closer and closer to O these days.

Oceana is on our bucket short list, maybe in 4-5 years for my big 6-0 and my husband's big 6-5. :o:D

A few weeks ago we were on Reflection, and met a really nice couple in Luminae who raved about Oceana. They mostly talked about the food and how personalized the service was all over the ship. Said we would absolutely love it.

Since we've been home I've been doing some research.

Oceana is on our bucket short list, maybe in 4-5 years for my big 6-0 and my husband's big 6-5. :o:D

A few weeks ago we were on Reflection, and met a really nice couple in Luminae who raved about Oceana. They mostly talked about the food and how personalized the service was all over the ship. Said we would absolutely love it..

One of the things that impressed me was for breakfast in the buffet, everything is served to you. No grabbing anything yourself. While I was waiting for my omelette to finish, a crew member insisted on holding the plate for me that I was holding, then insisted on carrying my omelette and other plate to my table. They have lots of lobster and seafood which Celebrity has really diminished. The specialty restaurants are included at no charge.

Plus as nparmelee said, "X's prices are getting closer and closer to O these days." Anyone want to play tic-tac-toe? I've taken the O's. :D

One of the things that impressed me was for breakfast in the buffet, everything is served to you. No grabbing anything yourself. While I was waiting for my omelette to finish, a crew member insisted on holding the plate for me that I was holding, then insisted on carrying my omelette and other plate to my table. They have lots of lobster and seafood which Celebrity has really diminished. The specialty restaurants are included at no charge.

Plus as nparmelee said, "X's prices are getting closer and closer to O these days." Anyone want to play tic-tac-toe? I've taken the O's. :D

I enjoy getting my own food, so would not like someone doing it for me at breakfast. Also, I am not a big eater. For those who like being pampered or have health issues, I think having someone wait on you is wonderful!

I also agree that the prices are high, but it depends on when you book, the type of cabin and where you want to go. There are still good deals to be had.

Furthermore, shopping around is always a great idea!!!

Have been on Os Regatta, Nautica and Marina. Absolutely no complaints. I recall at Lido breakfast, you point and they serve. Someone then offers to take your plate to your table. We usually refused and took our own. Marina is our favorite ship so far. Looking forward to our first X cruise.

Sent from my Classic using Forums mobile app

:D

How lovely - sounds great.

Have been on Os Regatta, Nautica and Marina. Absolutely no complaints. I recall at Lido breakfast, you point and they serve. Someone then offers to take your plate to your table. We usually refused and took our own. Marina is our favorite ship so far. Looking forward to our first X cruise.

Sent from my Classic using Forums mobile app

We are booking marina tomorrow. Any recommendations on cabins or decks. Will book either veranda or concierge.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We are booking marina tomorrow. Any recommendations on cabins or decks. Will book either veranda or concierge.

I booked Marina today. I was vacillating between a Concierge veranda and an extended balcony veranda. I took the B2 Extended. It's three times the size of a Concierge veranda and bigger than the Penthouse veranda. Look at 7111. If it's available...Here's the view.

Marina%20cabin%207111%20veranda%203_zpsscu5sv2v.jpg

It not only faces starboard but also forward. It has two lounges, two chairs and a table. It's less expensive than the Concierge.

Marina%20cabin%207111%20veranda_zpsidv5a97o.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Check out the B3 veranda cabins. They have a very large balcony. We had on one the Riviera last January and it was great.,

Booked 7111 on Riviera for this trip, will be cancelling with Celebrity. Came with air, internet, gratuities thru the TA, and the house select package, along with a nice amount of OBC. Thanks for the heads up on that cabin!

Booked 7111 on Riviera for this trip, will be cancelling with Celebrity. Came with air, internet, gratuities thru the TA, and the house select package, along with a nice amount of OBC. Thanks for the heads up on that cabin!

Sorry to steer you away on the Celebrity board but you did ask. I found them a good value compared to Celebrity when you consider all you got included PLUS you receive one reservation in each of their four specialty restaurants for free along with the overall food quality in the other venues.

Happy sails.

ps I forgot to credit canuck.qc earlier for the pictures of the veranda on 7111

What is the teen life on Oceania? We are looking at Greek Isles/Italy for 2018 with DD who will be 18.

There is no teen life, very limited entertainment; for port intensive cruises you are too tired to stay late but for the Caribbean where you know the ports can be very boring in the evening.

Well, every cruise is a good cruise. But after our Oceania cruise we decided it was that one and never again. Beautiful ship, good service, friendly personal, but nothing extra compared to Celebrity. Standard balcony cabin with the best matrass on any cruiseship we"ve been on so far, very nice bathroom too. We found food comparable to C. Buffetrestaurant stands out, its very upscale with linen on the tables and service at the table.

And yes, specialty restaurants are included in the fare, but - and this we found very, very irritating - it was impossible to book (and pay) extra evenings in those restaurants. At least not when your staying in "just a simple balcony cabin".

We had a very port intensive cruise, no sea days, and after diner the ship was just dead :( every one went to their cabins. Entertainment was very, very poor.

O, and don't forgot to bring your navy blue jacket, beige chino's and brown loafers, they are mandatory :D:D:')