Military person unable to sail as scheduled, booked with minor. What do I do now?

Amyheartsjapan

:confused:We booked 4 cabins for 12 people for a NCL cruise. It’s sailing in 15 days from now and fully paid. The cabin in question is booked with two brothers, aged 20 and 24. The 24-year-old is in the military and his leave was declined. We want to keep all 4 cabins and simply travel as expected, minus one person. I have heard that no-shows are a good option. However, that leaves a 20-year-old to check in without his “adult” in the room. Will this cause problems at check-in? We have 6 adults sailing and could switch names on the cabin. I would prefer to change as little as possible, and avoid complications. Can we just show up?

:confused:We booked 4 cabins for 12 people for a NCL cruise. It’s sailing in 15 days from now and fully paid. The cabin in question is booked with two brothers, aged 20 and 24. The 24-year-old is in the military and his leave was declined. We want to keep all 4 cabins and simply travel as expected, minus one person. I have heard that no-shows are a good option. However, that leaves a 20-year-old to check in without his “adult” in the room. Will this cause problems at check-in? We have 6 adults sailing and could switch names on the cabin. I would prefer to change as little as possible, and avoid complications. Can we just show up?

Given that NCL doesn't always know or follow their own rules, even if the below applies to you, I would absolutely switch names on the cabin to have an over 21 sailing with the 20 yr old. NCL has no issues with giving you extra key cards on board so the person switching can still sail in the cabin they were originally in.

Directly from the cruise contract:

© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the ageof 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years ofage or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under-21 Guestthroughout the cruise. The Guest agrees that this responsibility includes, but is not limited to, preventingthe under-21 Guest from violating the vessel's rules, including preventing the under-21 Guest frompurchasing and/or consuming alcohol and/or gambling on board the vessel, except as set forth herein.

Why in the world would you book him if leave had not already been approved?

I agree this is not your concern, Being a 21 year retired veteran I can tell you from experience that most units will not let you book leave very far in advance, so they probably could not book that close to the time he would be able to submit a leave request.

Given that NCL doesn't always know or follow their own rules, even if the below applies to you, I would absolutely switch names on the cabin to have an over 21 sailing with the 20 yr old. NCL has no issues with giving you extra key cards on board so the person switching can still sail in the cabin they were originally in.

Directly from the cruise contract:

© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the ageof 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years ofage or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under-21 Guestthroughout the cruise. The Guest agrees that this responsibility includes, but is not limited to, preventingthe under-21 Guest from violating the vessel's rules, including preventing the under-21 Guest frompurchasing and/or consuming alcohol and/or gambling on board the vessel, except as set forth herein.

Thanks for this, it’s exactly what I needed. I will reviews the contract and print this out. I like how it says “side-by-side” stateroom because 3 of the 4 rooms are next to another. I will reference this at check-in and now I am less worries about complications.

That is NOT the question! Nor is it your issue.

As for check in there will be no problem just advise at checkin that 2nd party will not be sailing.

It may not be the question, but where you have someone that might not be able to travel you should book names and rooms in away that will not cause issues, incase that happens.

Military leave doesn't GET approved until nearly the date of the leave. VERY short notice, at least in Canada. If you want to plan something, you have to cross your fingers and hope for the best.

We, the families of our military have them only for short periods of time, when they are not needed.

Sorry you perceive it to be bad planning. Our service men and women have their minds on higher things, like protecting our countries. It is NOT bad planning.

Ever since they started offering the UBP as a perk, those under 21 must be booked with someone older. They used to allow connecting, adjoining, or across the hall cabins, but NCL wouldn’t allow our 19 and 20 year olds to be booked without one of use in a connecting cabin in May.

Just call and ask them to ad someone that is over 21 to the room if they require it, explain that it was an issue with leave not being approved. I am sure they have dealt with this before. In Dec, Carnival was very nice about letting me adjust things because my husband was not going to make it home in time for our cruise. They might let him stay in the room alone, but is you have one person the does not drink move them into the room with him.

As a mum of a serving airforce aircrew he was told that they couldn’t even guarantee his time off for his wedding, it’s a risk he takes and has military insurance for it. So as a family, not speaking on behalf of the OP, only myself, we plan in the hope that the son we see twice a year if lucky, as he’s serving his country, can make the trip and do so knowing it’s a bonus if he does.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is the 20 year old's parents traveling? If so, NCL will cross reference the two reservations and make note, as long as the cabins are near each other, preferably next to or across the hall. If you cancel, the price for the 20 year old goes to a single rate. You can change the name for typically a $35 fee if you wanted to bring someone else. If you have insurance and you want to make a claim, you cannot change the name... and I would not cancel until you are in one hundred percent penalty so the 20 year old does not go to a single rate. Hope it all gets worked and Thank him for his service to our country!

Is the 20 year old's parents traveling? If so, NCL will cross reference the two reservations and make note, as long as the cabins are near each other, preferably next to or across the hall. If you cancel, the price for the 20 year old goes to a single rate. You can change the name for typically a $35 fee if you wanted to bring someone else. If you have insurance and you want to make a claim, you cannot change the name... and I would not cancel until you are in one hundred percent penalty so the 20 year old does not go to a single rate. Hope it all gets worked and Thank him for his service to our country!
NCL does not allow for nearby, adjoining, close, etc...... it must be connecting

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding

https://www.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/cruise-travel-documents#age-requirements

The "...under 21..." policy changes depending on what part of the NCL website is being referenced.

Traveling with Minors and Young Adults:

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the FAQ section) - LINK

...and I also found...

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the Required Travel Documentation section) - LINK

...and the Guest Ticket Contract has...

© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 Guest throughout the cruise. - 04/17 - LINK

...so, it's understandable that there are mixed results and answers.

The "...under 21..." policy changes depending on what part of the NCL website is being referenced.

Norwegian Cruise Lines policy dictates that a minor or young adult under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same stateroom by a guest 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the FAQ section) - LINK

...and I also found...

Norwegian Cruise Line’s policy dictates that a minor or young adult must be accompanied in the same stateroom (or connecting stateroom) by a passenger 21 years of age or older at the time of boarding. (in the Required Travel Documentation section) - LINK

...and the Guest Ticket Contract has...

© Guests under 21: Any Guest under 21 years of age is considered a minor. Any Guest under the age of 21 must be accompanied in the same, connecting, or side by side stateroom by a Guest 21 years of age or older at the time of embarkation who expressly agrees to be responsible for the under 21 Guest throughout the cruise. - 04/17 - LINK

...so, it's understandable that there are mixed results and answers.

The policy used to be the bottom two, but was the top one when we cruised last year, spoke with three PCC’s, they would not book 19 and 20 year olds in the connecting cabin.

I would switch one of the other people into the room at least on paper. At check in if they question the missing person tell him he is militarily and orders changed not allowing him to travel. NCL will be understanding as charging you more or causing problems could become a PR nightmare.

But more important he is military and rules must be looked at different for those who risk all for their country and freedom. It goes without needing to be said. But will say anyways he is thanked for his service.

I agree this is not your concern, Being a 21 year retired veteran I can tell you from experience that most units will not let you book leave very far in advance, so they probably could not book that close to the time he would be able to submit a leave request.

You took the words out of my mouth. I am not a veteran but a DD all my life, then a DW for 20 years and now the mother of a Marine.

The policy used to be the bottom two, but was the top one when we cruised last year, spoke with three PCC’s, they would not book 19 and 20 year olds in the connecting cabin.

I agree. The most restrictive one is the current policy but people are still finding the other two while looking on the NCL site.