Blogging Arctic Splendors cruise on the Navigator

Re:all our luggage. Still MIssing!

Our choice was to say surrender and go home or go shopping in Copenhagen. We chose to go shopping. Bought enough to get us thru the next three days, including rain gear and sweaters. That should get us thru six days with a repeat. Except for dress shoes. Couldn’t find Herb’s size. He flew here with black sneakers. Guess what! Some people may be upset but that’s it —unless our luggage shows up.

I was a sight, zipping thu the mall this afternoon on my red scooter, grabbing everything off the rack

We are now ready to board tomorrow.

This has become a real adventure!

Thanks everyone for your concern and support.

Sheila

what airline lost your bags?

are regent helping?

Is it the airline that loses luggage or airport employees?

Both can be the issue. T5 LHR lost tons of luggage when they opened and it still is losing luggage. Also, Union slow downs can can cause miss connects and tight connections. Many variables.

So sorry about this Sheila! But happy you did find some things in Copenhagen. Hopefully the airline will reimburse you for those because Copenhagen is not a cheap place to shop. I love your attitude and doubt that I would stay so "zen"...though really there is nothing else to do. Stay cool and have a great cruise!

Gerry

Can just see you on your scooter. Have a wonderful cruise

Hi to Gerry, Diana, Maria and everyone.

So here’s my update— Herb's suitcase arrived just as we sailed yesterday. I am happy because he can’t complain now. Me- still waiting. Would love another pair of shoes. Tired of my sneakers. Tonight is formal night. I will be a sight to behold. Sorry to break the rules! I guess I should wear a sign announcing my missing luggage. So no one can complain. But, Herb should look quite dapper.

More to follow.

Sheila

Peggy, Wes and everyone:

Ok— here’s the update.

Dinner last night in CR was like coming back to your favorite restaurant. All choices were a home run. Service perfect. Enjoyed the entertainer.

Sitting on the pool deck this afternoon in Lyeskel Sweden. Skipped tour. Relaxing. Enjoying the sea air.

No luggage for me yet.

I dont know who’s fault it is. Will ignore money issue until we get home. Happy to be here.

Hi to Gerry, Diana, Maria and everyone.

So here’s my update— Herb's suitcase arrived just as we sailed yesterday. I am happy because he can’t complain now. Me- still waiting. Would love another pair of shoes. Tired of my sneakers. Tonight is formal night. I will be a sight to behold. Sorry to break the rules! I guess I should wear a sign announcing my missing luggage. So no one can complain. But, Herb should look quite dapper.

More to follow.

Sheila

Sheila - you are great!!! The EXACT same thing happened to me years ago in Bangkok - ken got his bag but mine went "walkabout" for 72 hours. Meantime I had business meetings etc etc. So I just kept the hotel's overnight laundry really busy. Finally it got to me but with no info as to where it had been sent to (and yes Jackie - this flight did involve a transfer via LHR!) Anyway - from then on I pack two suitcases but mix up our things. No more "his" and "hers" which I always used to do. That way we both have at least some things if one of the bags is missing...

Keep a stiff upper lip and a nice smile (if you can do both at the same time). Hopefully tomorrow you will tell us you have the bag!

Gerry

Bellaggio Cruiser, hope your luggage shows up soon.

I admire your positive attitude, and your cruise will still be great no matter what.:)

Your experience has made me make a "Note to Self"----cross-pack luggage and not do his/her suitcases, which out of habit I normally do.

I know that hindsight is 20/20 but in addition to cross packing clothing we now pack a change of clothes in the carry-on. My DH wears a pair of dress shoes and we pack sandals also in the carry-on (I do the same but wear the sandals on the plane). As Sheila has learned, purchasing shoes while on a cruise was almost impossible.

Hope that the luggage finds it's way to the ship soon (like today) and looking forward to reading more about this cruise.

Bellaggio Cruisers/Sheila (and Herb);

Thank you the lost bag update. Echo previous posters Kudos for your positive "tude" in this frustrating lost luggage situation. Hoping your bags are returned to you soonest.

wishIweretraveling; Crystal & Beth, loved your recent FB/blog pix, especially your Lysekil, Sweden photos. And, your lunch in Copenhagen, at your friend's favorite marina looked wonderful-- you both looked marvelous in your cool shades.

Sheila,

Sorry to hear about your luggage travails, but I'm glad to hear that it is not dampening your enthusiasm for the cruise.

Keep your upbeat attitude, and don't worry about the "rules",who cares?:p

Crystal, loving the blog!

Bob

I know that hindsight is 20/20 but in addition to cross packing clothing we now pack a change of clothes in the carry-on. My DH wears a pair of dress shoes and we pack sandals also in the carry-on (I do the same but wear the sandals on the plane). As Sheila has learned, purchasing shoes while on a cruise was almost impossible.

Hope that the luggage finds it's way to the ship soon (like today) and looking forward to reading more about this cruise.

It is so frustraing not to have your things.

DH and I started crosspacking some things ten years ago, after our duffel bag containing all his shoes except the clunky hiking boots he wore on the plane was stolen in Amsterdam at the airport before we got it off the carousel. It was not fun spending a good part of our limited time in Amsterdam looking for evening shoes that would fit him instead of touring the town, (though ultimately he got some he still likes for cruises).

Next time luggage pieces went missing, permanently or delayed, we were prepared!

I learned the carry on packing tip from TravelCat 4 years ago when her luggage went missing for many, many days. I was so glad I listened, when we got on Voyager right after TravelCat disembarked, and my daughter's suitcase was missing! Luckily since we had flown into Copenhagen two days early, her bag caught up with us at midnight before we boarded. We didn't have to spend any time clothes shopping in Copenhagen!

wishIweretravelling - We are back home and almost back to normal after the wonderful Dublin to Copenhagen part of the cruise. We had a terrific time seeing all the sites. It was lovely meeting you three ladies especially in my favorite place on the ship, the Navigator Lounge, listening and at times singing along with Allen. Looking forward to following your adventures on the blog for the rest of the Arctic Splendours cruise.

Diane

I learned the carry on packing tip from TravelCat 4 years ago when her luggage went missing for many, many days. I was so glad I listened, when we got on Voyager right after TravelCat disembarked, and my daughter's suitcase was missing! Luckily since we had flown into Copenhagen two days early, her bag caught up with us at midnight before we boarded. We didn't have to spend any time clothes shopping in Copenhagen!

Good to hear that our advice helped. It is challenging to pack the way that we'd like to with the restrictions of what we can take onboard the plane in our carry-on luggage.

We are now past the halfway point on our journey, and early this morning we crossed the Arctic Circle. There's to be an Arctic Circle crossing event on the pool deck this morning. I'm guessing it will be similar to an equator crossing ceremony. But one hopes that no one winds up in the pool on this one. It's a bit cool for that.

We had gotten to wondering if Regent had forgotten that it had a grand voyage underway. There had been no "full cruiser" events since the first segment (we're currently on the fourth segment), and very little by way of those little extra somethings beyond the usual formula for a cruise--things that aren't "full cruiser" only but provide a little extra spice. So we're glad to see this crossing event. And, finally, we have a gathering of full cruisers on the pool deck tomorrow evening. Yes, we're in the Arctic, and it's not exactly warm here, but we're being asked to all wear the commemorative jackets we were given, so I guess it needed to be suitable for the nice, lined jackets.

I've slowed a bit on the blog--this is a port-intensive segment. But it's up to date now through Berlin: https://summertimechilling.blogspot.com/2018/08/berlin-and-twentieth-century.html

wishIweretravelling - We are back home and almost back to normal after the wonderful Dublin to Copenhagen part of the cruise. We had a terrific time seeing all the sites. It was lovely meeting you three ladies especially in my favorite place on the ship, the Navigator Lounge, listening and at times singing along with Allen. Looking forward to following your adventures on the blog for the rest of the Arctic Splendours cruise.

Daiane

Hi Diane,

Hoping you are almost back to normal with wonderful memories of the cruise. So glad I got to meet you.

Allen rocked it out in the Navigator Lounge last night.

Take care and hope to cruise with you again,

Beth

We are having a sea day, en route to Kristiansund, Norway from Honningsvag, Norway. It's our first sunny day in quite a while. Yesterday was cold and cloudy but we had a wonderful view from the North Cape on the afternoon excursion and a great view of the North Cape as we sailed past in early evening. This also is the last sea day this segment.

In the midst of our seven ports in Norway were scheduled calls at three ports in Arctic and sub-Arctic Russia. We missed one of them--Solovetsky Islands--due to rough seas. I missed another--Murmansk--because I was getting over a cold and decided not to risk a relapse by going out into the cold and rainy day there.

So, with experience of only one port in this part of Russia, I've updated the blog: https://summertimechilling.blogspot.com/2018/08/modern-arctic-area-russia.html

I'll be doing Norway all together in one blog entry in the near future.

We are travelling through LHR terminal 5 next month for a road trip through New England and Canada, and then out of terminal 3 to LA for our Navigator cruise, so as well as cross packing, I will also pack our cabin bags with clothes and shoes, so we have at least two other outfits.

Thank you for all the tips and I do hope your case has now caught up with you and you have your clothes and shoes to wear.

Just booked th Norway/Arctic portion of this cruise for 2020. Can you give me a rough estimate of the temperatures? The 2020 cruise is scheduled for about the same time of year. We will probably stay in Europe for a few weeks either before or after so I hate to bring unnecessary cold weather gear. Also, how is Navigator handling the rough seas?

I absolutely love your very literate blog! Thanks.

Jennifer