Better Ship or Extra Day?

MermaidMommy03

Now our problem is we want to go in June and since its so close many of the offers I found earlier are no longer available.

I think Royal has a kids sail free promotion going this week. It may be worth checking their sailings as well.

Why when the OP says she wants to cruise in June would you recommend an RC promotion that specifically excludes June July and August?

Why when the OP says she wants to cruise in June would you recommend an RC promotion that specifically excludes June July and August?

Just playing devil’s advocate, but many times people focus on Carnival because it’s perceived as offering the best prices, and they don’t realize that there may be more affordable options.

We booked a cruise to Cuba on Royal Caribbean for July a few days ago. At first glance, pricing for Carnival, NCL and Royal seemed the same, until I priced it out with 4 guests in a cabin. Royal was a good $1,000 cheaper! The reason? Royal is charging $99 for the 3rd/4th guest while NCL is charging over $600! And we got that reduced pricing for our kids without any advertised sales. Royal is known for offering discounted rates and deals of this nature, even if a sailing falls outside of any ongoing sale’s time frame.

And this is not the first time we find a killer deal during the summer by shopping around. In 2016 we were booked on a 5 night cruise in a porthole cabin on the Carnival Valor. That’s until I priced out the MSC Divina. They had a kids sail free promotion, a 2 for 1 balcony promotion, as well as a loyalty match discount. By the time it was all said and done, we had a Fantastica balcony stateroom on a 7 night cruise for considerably less money than the 5 night cruise on the Valor. And MSC matched our Carnival Platinum status and even gave us free access to the spa!

So I am an advocate of volunteering suggestions that may stray from the original question. A lot of times people don’t consider all of their options because they don’t even realize that they exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just playing devil’s advocate, but many times people focus on Carnival because it’s perceived as offering the best prices, and they don’t realize that there may be more affordable options.

We booked a cruise to Cuba on Royal Caribbean for July a few days ago. At first glance, pricing for Carnival, NCL and Royal seemed the same, until I priced it out with 4 guests in a cabin. Royal was a good $1,000 cheaper! The reason? Royal is charging $99 for the 3rd/4th guest while NCL is charging over $600! And we got that reduced pricing for our kids without any advertised sales.

And this is not the first time we find a killer deal during the summer by shopping around. In 2016 we were booked on a 5 night cruise in a porthole cabin on the Carnival Valor. That’s until I priced out the MSC Divina. They had a kids sail free promotion, a 2 for 1 balcony promotion, as well as a loyalty match discount. By the time it was all said and done, we had a Fantastica balcony stateroom on a 7 night cruise for considerably less money than the 5 night cruise on the Valor. And MSC matched our Carnival Platinum status and even gave us free access to the spa!

So I am an advocate of volunteering suggestions that may stray from the original question. A lot of times people don’t consider all of their options because they don’t even realize that they exist.

Thank you for the advise. I will also look into RC and see what they have to offer. I think my husband and kids like Carnival for the Ice Cream and Pizza lol

I think Royal has a kids sail free promotion going this week. It may be worth checking their sailings as well.

I recently booked a cruise and was looking into Royal to see if I could find something different. They unfortunately have turned almost all their 5 day cruises into Havana cruises as far as I could see and I have zero interest in going to Cuba.

I recently booked a cruise and was looking into Royal to see if I could find something different. They unfortunately have turned almost all their 5 day cruises into Havana cruises as far as I could see and I have zero interest in going to Cuba.

Royal Caribbean continues offering more “traditional” 5 night Western Caribbean itineraries from Tampa and Galveston seasonally in addition to their year round 3-4 night Bahamas itineraries from Miami on Mariner of the Seas and Port Canaveral on Enchantment of the Seas, as well as 5 night Western Caribbean itineraries from Tampa on Majesty of the Seas alternating with the Cuba itineraries.

About Cuba, it seems like the demand for cruises to this destination has been overwhelming, with Carnival, Royal and NCL all shifting a second ship to operate these itineraries.

It is because Cuba is now offered on short itineraries the ONLY reason why I’m taking a cruise this summer with 14 family members, many who otherwise would’ve had zero interest in taking a cruise, an even less to the more common ports of call usually found on these short itineraries which they consider tourist traps.

Personally, until my family members started talking about going to Cuba, I had zero interest in taking a short cruise again simply because I’ve been on the more traditional itineraries way too many times.

But I’m beyond thrilled about visiting a country which up until few years ago would’ve seemed out of reach. I get that it’s not for everyone, but for those who want to explore beyond the beaten path and broaden their horizons a bit, Cuba provides an absolutely fascinating alternative to Cozumel, Nassau and the other Caribbean/Bahamas ports that offer more of the same.

My original answer was Liberty, but after seeing the itineraries for each, I would like to change my answer. My vote is definitely for the Sensation. Even with knowing that HMC is a tender port and sometimes gets missed, I would gladly go for that one!

It would be between Sensation and Elation for me. I love Liberty but with the age of your kids, I think you will want the water works. It is worth looking into whether Royal has a room that will hold all 5 of you for a similar cruise and less cost. Just a couple more things I would consider, cost to get to the port? That really can make a huge difference. And then next I would call carnival and see what rooms you can get in both ships. It might be that it only works to get two interiors or two balconys or some other combination you do not want on Sensation. It looks to me like Sensation and Elation are pretty interchangable ships. So it will really come down to room availability and itinerary.

I would take Liberty off your list. 4 days, plus Freeport with a 4 year old being one of the two ports is just not a great idea. I happen to be one of the few people who love Freeport but I know I wouldn't feel that way with young kids. Just not much for them to do there.

Sensation 5 Day

Miami

Nassau

Half Moon Cay

Grand Turk

Miami

Elation 5 Day

Jacksonville

Halfmoon Cay

Nassau

Liberty 4 Day

Port Canaveral

Nassau

Freeport

I've never been on Elation or Liberty. I've been on Sensation & it was my least favorite ship I've sailed (7 to date & 8th will be Vista this weekend).

That said, if those were my choices, I'd still pick Sensation. It's not a bad ship. Just wasn't a fave for me. The itinerary is best. Looove Grand Turk & HMC is worth at least one visit. Beautiful beach. Plus, it's a 5 day.

Sensation. Definitely Sensation.

Thank you for the advise. I will also look into RC and see what they have to offer. I think my husband and kids like Carnival for the Ice Cream and Pizza lol

Yeah I am on my first Royal in a few days and I already don’t like no self serve laundry and no 24 hour ice cream. Carnival is a great choice and the 24 hour pizza is tasty.

Having taken only 4 day cruises in the past, it's not enough! It's never enough. The Sensation itinerary is awesome. That one is a win-win. I've booked that same one later in the year. I couldn't say no.

IMO, the ship difference is not THAT big between Liberty and Sensation. Sure the Liberty has more. It's not that much more.

Well, if Jacksonville was closer, I would choose the Elation-the more ports, the more money to spend. But HMC is our favorite place on earth-so either 5 day would work. The Elation has the water works, and kids Carnival camp, (no matter what ship you sail on). And is your hubby a go go go kind of guy, or does he enjoy some down time? My DH loves sea days, nice lazy days to watch the waves. Have a great cruise whatever you decide. I have not sailed from Miami .But have sailed from Jacksonville a few times.

Well, if Jacksonville was closer, I would choose the Elation-the more ports, the more money to spend. But HMC is our favorite place on earth-so either 5 day would work. The Elation has the water works, and kids Carnival camp, (no matter what ship you sail on). And is your hubby a go go go kind of guy, or does he enjoy some down time? My DH loves sea days, nice lazy days to watch the waves. Have a great cruise whatever you decide. I have not sailed from Miami .But have sailed from Jacksonville a few times.

He does like to relax while on vacation.

How are you planning to house your family? Sensation and Elation wil allow you to squeeze five into a quad cabin, but on the Conquest class you would have to book two cabins, preferably connecting with the ages of your children...EM