9am flight--will i make it??

dmb3281

Excellent. Shows that packing light and planning for all contingencies can do the almost impossible. Hope you got a little snooze time on your flight home.

There is a dedicated Global Entry line at both FLL and MIA US Customs exit that can speed up your departure a bit. However, there's a lead time of sometimes 6 weeks to get approved, so this won't help the OP, but might help others. One needs to bring the G.E. photo card to get on the dedicated line.

The Global Entry line at the port is generally way less crowded than the regular one. With an early arrival about 8AM at either airport, the G.E. line there is about as empty and deserted as the regular one. I realize cruisers experience the airports as a zoo, but that is for later times. At 8AM, getting through airport security is a breeze and G.E. is just about useless.

I generally book an 11AM flight, well within my comfort zone, and once at the airport, see if I can switch to an earlier departure. Airline loyalty rewards can mitigate the switching costs, and the earliest I've left on a plane from MIA is 8:30AM, and from FLL, 9:30AM.

I have GE and there was no way to use it my last cruise into POM on Carnival, When I asked Customs what the deal was since the signage was up, they said it wasn't in use.

"Fingers crossed" is an interesting attitude...which often makes for some very unhappy travelers/cruisers. Can you make a 9am flight out of FLL? Perhaps. If all goes well you might be able to do an express disembarkation by 6:30 and be at the airport by 7. But for many of us, the anxiety and hassles that last day make it a lousy way to end a cruise. We have been on a few cruises into Port Everglades and the Port of Miami where disembarkation was delayed for various reasons (usually issues by government authorities). If CBP delays clearing your ship you will miss your flight! If your cruise ship is a little late docking (this can happen because of weather, mechanical issues, or other problems) you will miss you flight.

Personally, after far more than 100 cruises we prefer to have a much later flight (out of any port) so we can sleep a bit later....enjoy our last breakfast, and relax on a deck lounger while others are fighting their way off the ship, struggling to get an elevator with room for their luggage, etc. Philosophically we like to be among the first to board our ship at embarkation and the last to disembark.

Hank

"Fingers crossed" is an interesting attitude...which often makes for some very unhappy travelers/cruisers. Can you make a 9am flight out of FLL? Perhaps. If all goes well you might be able to do an express disembarkation by 6:30 and be at the airport by 7. But for many of us, the anxiety and hassles that last day make it a lousy way to end a cruise. We have been on a few cruises into Port Everglades and the Port of Miami where disembarkation was delayed for various reasons (usually issues by government authorities). If CBP delays clearing your ship you will miss your flight! If your cruise ship is a little late docking (this can happen because of weather, mechanical issues, or other problems) you will miss you flight.

Personally, after far more than 100 cruises we prefer to have a much later flight (out of any port) so we can sleep a bit later....enjoy our last breakfast, and relax on a deck lounger while others are fighting their way off the ship, struggling to get an elevator with room for their luggage, etc. Philosophically we like to be among the first to board our ship at embarkation and the last to disembark.

Hank

Well at that point Hank that’s all I could do was have hope we would make it. This vacation was a stretch financially for my family and paying another several hundred dollars was not really an option. I agree next time we will do things differently but am glad we made it and that’s all that matters. I was really just looking for someone who had possibly made this flight and could offer some kind words of wisdom—everyone’s negative comments really didn’t help and actually caused more anxiety which obviously wasn’t needed because we made it just fine.

Well at that point Hank that’s all I could do was have hope we would make it. This vacation was a stretch financially for my family and paying another several hundred dollars was not really an option. I agree next time we will do things differently but am glad we made it and that’s all that matters. I was really just looking for someone who had possibly made this flight and could offer some kind words of wisdom—everyone’s negative comments really didn’t help and actually caused more anxiety which obviously wasn’t needed because we made it just fine.

I don't know who taught me that while it's okay to answer e-mails and posts any ole way you want to,,,, it's also okay to not hit the send button after you've read your response a couple of times. You can delete and rewrite before hitting send.

...everyone’s negative comments really didn’t help and actually caused more anxiety which obviously wasn’t needed because we made it just fine.

Yes you did - this time - but you may NOT have made it and we experienced travellers were simply giving our opinion in a thread which you started and asked for advice and reassurance. Most of us couldn't give you that reassurance based on what we have been through and seen ourselves. I don't think it's fair to condemn those in this thread who gave "negative comments" and "actually caused more anxiety" for you. Gee. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you did - this time - but you may NOT have made it and we experienced travellers were simply giving our opinion in a thread which you started and asked for advice and reassurance. Most of us couldn't give you that reassurance based on what we have been through and seen ourselves. I don't think it's fair to condemn those in this thread who gave "negative comments" and "actually caused more anxiety" for you. Gee. :(

LOL. The OP is complaining about advice that he obviously didn't want to hear, I guess. It is like someone asks if they might safely dart across a freeway with cars whizzing by at 65 mph, and then gets upset because most people tell him it is very dangerous and he might get run over, so he accuses people of being negative. :rolleyes:

Excellent. Shows that packing light and planning for all contingencies can do the almost impossible. Hope you got a little snooze time on your flight home.

But you can't plan for all contingencies, just because the OP poster made it does not mean it should be done. How about the next person who reads this thread and try's to to the same thing and fails, because it really is not enough time.

Would you tell posters here they should became drug mules because you can site a few cases that it has worked and the mule made a lot of money? Yes it can work bad idea to try it.

Thank you for coming back and letting us know you made your flight on time. Often people post and never return, so we're left to wonder, did they or didn't they? I'm happy to hear you had a great cruise - best wishes for many more in your future.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)