Not booking prenight hotel at HAL price but would like to purchase the transfers

gailellen12

Hi everyone - I am able to use my free night from hotels.com to stay at the Grand Hotel in Copenhagen for one night precruise. I know I can get a cab from the airport and also a cab to the port terminal but I was wondering if I could purchase HAL transfers to this hotel which they use and where I would be doing my own booking; not having done the hotel booking through them. It :confused:would just be a convenient way to get to and from! Just curious if anyone has done this before!

Ditto on the taxi instead of a HAL transfer. First time we in CPH did the transfer and the second time taxis. The taxi cost about the same for two people as HAL charges per person, and they're way more convenient. Just hop in and go when you're ready, not when the bus is.

My experience is that you cannot book your own hotel and then purchase HALs transfers to or from the airport/pier. You can purchase transfers from the airport, but you have to make your own way from the hotel to the airport in time to meet the HAL transfer to the pier.

I have tried to purchase a HAL transfer from the HAL hotel to the ship when I booked the hotel on my own, but was not able to do that.

Many other times I have booked a different hotel on my own, and a HAL transfer, but from the airport. I made my way back there the next morning.

Obviously, in Copenhagen, that would be more trouble than it's worth.

... from the HAL "Know Before You Go" booklet (page 10):

Airport/Hotel Transfers: Transfers between airport to hotel and

hotel to ship are provided to all guests who have purchased a

Holland America Line hotel package regardless of whether you

have purchased the Fly Cruise Plan or have made independent

flight plans. Hotel to ship transfer details will be available in your

Hotel Welcome Letter provided upon check-in at your hotel.

Last July we were able to purchase the hotel-ship transfer from Amsterdam to Rotterdam even though we were staying at another hotel. It is my understanding that the policy has changed and you cannot purchase the transfer without purchasing the hotel stay. Call your TA or HAL to verify. See if this link works to the discussion-- https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2578272

Edited by oceanmom

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I have booked (using points) at the hotel HAL used. In the morning I went to the desk in the lobby where folks checked in for the transfer and asked if I could signup and pay the fee. I have been allowed to do this.

Any ideas from experts on best way from Amsterdam to Rotterdam? I know the train is cheapest but then would have to lug bags to taxi to get to pier.

We used Schiphol travel taxi (in 2011) but they still operate from AMS airport (assuming you want to travel from the airport - but I understand that they pick up from other addresses).

https://www.schipholtraveltaxi.nl/en/

(There is a very small British flag for English language to click on if the page comes up in Dutch)

Book and pay online. Check in at their service desk in the arrivals hall. We used the private service which was well done and no hassle. The blue van shown on the website is like the one we had. You can get a shared service but you would need to meet their timeframe.

The booking address for the pier - you need to use the address:

Wilhelminakade 699, 3072 AP Rotterdam, Netherlands

Hope this helps