Empress of the Seas Question

If you understand that it is an older smaller ship with few extras, then you will enjoy. If you expect flow riders, ice rinks, zip lines, then you will be disappointed. The cabins are very small, take a look at sq.ft. Boleros is beautiful and there is an outside lounge past Boleros that is very nice. If you are an upper tier Crown and Anchor member be advised that there are no lounges, (Diamond, Concierge or Suite) and there is no Diamond ( and up) nightly event. This is a deal breaker for some.

We took Empress last year ( also to Cuba) and enjoyed the cruise.

M

We sailed on the Empress just a few weeks ago and were very pleasantly surprised. The ship is in good shape and the crew was great. We would have no issues about sailing on her again.

All booked for 6 April 2019 going as a solo. I got the single apartment which is 108 square feet. All I am going to do in the room is sleep and use the bathroom. I am not planning parties there or anything...HA!

All booked for 6 April 2019 going as a solo. I got the single apartment which is 108 square feet. All I am going to do in the room is sleep and use the bathroom. I am not planning parties there or anything...HA!

I actually think two people can book that room, but I also booked the oceanview studio for the June 1, 2019 sailing as a solo. You'll have to let us know how much you liked or disliked it when you return! I've taken a cruise on the Norwegian Epic in a solo studio, and I think it's 102 square feet. It was small, but it was perfectly fine for my needs, so I am sure the oceanview studio will be fine on the Empress of the Seas for you. You'll be surprised how little time you actually spend in your cabin! Enjoy your trip.

Just recently posted a review of a 4 nighter out of Miami to Cuba: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2661925

We had a great time! I'll echo past comments that the ship is noticeably older, smaller, and just "different"... but in a good way! I wouldn't hesitate to go back. If you have any particular questions, I'll try to answer.

Just returned from the Empress on Monday. We had an absolutely fantastic time on this cruise. I’d sailed on her 14 years ago so it was nice to be back.

The ship is in good shape and well taken care of, specially considering that she’s 28 years old. Yes, she’s small, and doesn’t have the bells and whistles of her much bigger and newer siblings, but that was part of the reason why we enjoyed her. We learned our way around the ship quickly, and it takes a few minutes to get anywhere. And we also experienced something that we haven’t experienced in a long time: crew members that recognized us and remembered our names. Loved having that more personal level of service that can be afforded on a smaller ship.

Visiting Cuba was fascinating, and that alone is enough reason to take this cruise.

As others mentioned, take this cruise because you want to visit Cuba, or because you want to have a few days to unwind. But don’t go expecting the Royal experience found on the larger ships. You won’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Loved Empress. Had a huge OV that slept all four of us comfortably. Keep an eye on the compass for a drink card. When we were on her we got ten drinks for $65.00, good for anythings up to $12.00. Also, they had an AWESOME brunch on one of the sea days! Also, if you have thoughts of using the shower at the gym, there is no shower at the gym.

Steve