Birth Certificate question

bizzy2010

We just booked a last minute labor day cruise, it's been a few years since the new baby.. i didn't realize now, 10 days before trip that my passport expired in march. So in panic, i start looking everywhere for my birth certificate, can't find it..Finally in the garage i got lucky and found it, it's the original one from 1975... has my foot prints on it, etc.. The seal is no longer on it, you can see where the seal was supposed to be, but it's not there... Vitachek says 40-50 days for a new one.. not happening. I totally forget on my first cruise 12 years ago if my birth certificate had the seal then or not. It's the original certificate though..

We just booked a last minute labor day cruise, it's been a few years since the new baby.. i didn't realize now, 10 days before trip that my passport expired in march. So in panic, i start looking everywhere for my birth certificate, can't find it..Finally in the garage i got lucky and found it, it's the original one from 1975... has my foot prints on it, etc.. The seal is no longer on it, you can see where the seal was supposed to be, but it's not there... Vitachek says 40-50 days for a new one.. not happening. I totally forget on my first cruise 12 years ago if my birth certificate had the seal then or not. It's the original certificate though..

That sounds like a Hospital souvenir type of certificate but not an actual state issued one. You better verify before you get to port and are rejected.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope I'm wrong but "Official Birth Certificates" don't have foot prints. Hospital momento records of birth have foot prints but not certified State issued BC's

That’s exactly what I told them. As a retired nurse, and one time Labor and Delivery nurse, I know this is just a memento that the hospital gives. It is NOT the official birth certificate. The OP better hustle to get the correct documentation or they will not be allowed to board.

This is the same certificate i used to get my passport to begin with.

From Pennsylvania. 1970s

Only other option is driving the 5 hours to the passport office in miami and renewing, which is what ill have to do, i can't take the chance it's rejected. I was thinking of heading over to the tampa port... you think they could give me advice with the birth certificate in hand?

I was thinking of heading over to the tampa port... you think they could give me advice with the birth certificate in hand?

There's no guarantee the advice you get now will be the same policy they enforce on embarkation much. If someone tells you "yes" now but someone else says "no" on embarkation day, you'll have no recourse.

Notwithstanding, you probably couldn't even get in the terminal to ask a knowledgeable person for advice without being booked on that day's sailing.

You do not have to have a raised seal on your birth certificate. It just has to be a copy of the actual birth certificate, not a novelty item the hospital gives. As long as that's a legit birth certificate issued by the state and not the hospital, then make a copy of it and take it with you and you'll be fine. Enjoy your cruise.

I've read stories on here where people went to the passport office in Miami first thing in the morning of their cruise and received their passports by noon and were onboard the ship by 1:30.

Of course that was for a weekday sailing

That's strange that it takes so long to get a certified copy of your brith certificate. When I ordered an expedited copy for my husband, we got it in a couple of days. When I needed one for my kids, I was able to go to a local office (since they were born in the city I live) and have certified ones printed while I waited.

As far as getting a passport quickly, when my adult son lost his and needed another one for a trip, he made an appointment at a passport office and got one the same day. He had to show his travel documents to prove he had a trip soon.

That is NOT your birth certificate....that's from the hospital, and it's not valid for travel. Call the city where you were born and pay the fee to get an official copy sent to you.

Did you read the thread and notice that this information has already been given?

Thanks, i was about to ask if they counted cruises as international travel, or if they'd give me a hard time. I am gonna head down there this week and get it done, i will probably make a noon appointment so that gives them 3 hours till they close to get the passport renewed.

I just ordered my sons birth certificate, Got on the website for the county of birth, did the online request and it was fulfilled by Vital check I believe it said allow 3-4 weeks, I had it in 3 days with normal delivery option. Maybe call the county and ask what there typically turn around time is. Good luck.

"You can renew your current or expired U.S. passport unless your passport was:

• Issued before your 16th birthday
  • Issued 15 or more years ago
  • Damaged, lost, or stolen
  • Issued in your previous name and you don’t have a legal document like a marriage license to prove your legal name change"

If you still have your old passport, you can take it to a passport office and expedite it.

"You can renew your current or expired U.S. passport unless your passport was:

• Issued before your 16th birthday
  • Issued 15 or more years ago
  • Damaged, lost, or stolen
  • Issued in your previous name and you don’t have a legal document like a marriage license to prove your legal name change"

If you still have your old passport, you can take it to a passport office and expedite it.

Thanks for the information, i've made an appointment at the miami office, will have to drive the 5 hours to get it done, but i want to be sure it's done, gotta stop and get passport photos on the way down. I am not looking forward to the 10 hour trip. But, it is what... it is as they say.