Sea Bands or Dramamine?

ctlrtl

First time cruisers sailing in May...I am prone to motion sickness after long car rides, so I want to be prepared for this cruise. Which is more effective? Sea bands? Dramamine? Both? Neither? Thanks!

I start taking generic bonnie and ginger pills a few days before a cruise, during the cruise and a few days after. When i do this I dont get sick. I used sea bands my first cruise and they helped, but i find the bonnie and giner more effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife is also prone to motion sickness. For the first few cruises she tried various forms of dramamine, patches, and creams. While somewhat effective, they left her tired and somewhat lethargic. Several cruises ago, I got her a Relief Band. It's like MAGIC!!!! She loves it, and uses it not only for cruises, but for long car rides, flights, etc. Best thing I ever got her, and I highly recommend it.

All.of.it.

I take bonnie or dramamine starting the day before, and then keep taking every dosage, even if I start to feel like I could do without because I found that when I skipped, the sickness doubled.

I wear seabands for the first two days even while sleeping.

I bring along ginger and peppermint (tummy drops).

By the third day I am right as rain, or only occasionally need the tummy drops/wear the seabands if rough seas.

Good luck!

I am obsessive about this as my first cruise to Alaska I spent my 10th wedding anniversary in bed sick as a dog. Second cruise I was sick most of the time. Third cruise was very successful with patch, but next trip with patch made me very sick with side effects and after doing more research I said I'd never use the patch again (Scary).

Dramamine makes me very sleepy. Found it greatly intensifies alcohol effect too!!!!!! So my last cruise I took ginger at night before bed, I kept my sea bands on (you must use both according to the package instructions, although some people out here like to argue that you can use one), and I used motion eaze behind my ears right before we sailed. I was not sick or even "woozy" any of the last cruise so this was my magic combination.

Another thing that helps is to be outside when you set sail looking at the horizon.

Talk to your doctor. Do a search out here on motion sickness and just be sure you're PREVENTING motion sickness. Once you get it it's hard to get over it. Try not to get hungry because that messes with your stomach which can mess with the motion sickness feel. That's not a problem on the cruise with food everywhere. Good luck! As someone who suffers from this I have a lot of empathy for you. We drove to the foothills of the mountains in NC this weekend and I got a little woozy then!!

Dramamine is a brand name. Dramamine II the NON drowsy kind has the same ingredient as Bonine(another brand name) The ingredient is called Meclazine. You can buy Meclazine, the generic name for the ingredient in both Bonine and Dramamine II , in your local pharmacy. Meclazine is what the ship would give you if you got sick on the ship and didn't have it with you.

DH and I both take Meclazine to prevent seasickness. I take on pill before we sail. DH has found that he needs 2 pills(the highest dosage) before sailing and then one pill morning and night. I only take 1 pill per day unless the seas get really rough . It works great for us!!!

My wife is also prone to motion sickness. For the first few cruises she tried various forms of dramamine, patches, and creams. While somewhat effective, they left her tired and somewhat lethargic. Several cruises ago, I got her a Relief Band. It's like MAGIC!!!! She loves it, and uses it not only for cruises, but for long car rides, flights, etc. Best thing I ever got her, and I highly recommend it.

Where do you get Relief Band

My husband is very prone to motion sickness as well. He takes 2 Meclazine (Bonine) every night starting 1 night before we sail and he does great. We like the spa balcony area so cabin location has never been a problem either.

Meclazine is what the ship would give you if you got sick on the ship and didn't have it with you.

Meclazine... Although we are not prone to sick sickness, we always take 2 meclazine pills a day. 12 hrs apart.

We went to deck 3 one time years ago and asked for SS pills. The nurse gave us Meclazine...free back then, now they charge $3-4.

First time cruisers sailing in May...I am prone to motion sickness after long car rides, so I want to be prepared for this cruise. Which is more effective? Sea bands? Dramamine? Both? Neither? Thanks!

My wife swears by bands .They have not helped me .I use Bonine and it always works great .

Sea bands weren't for me, I found them annoying, but that is probably because I wear bracelets.

Did not like Benadryl but have found Bonine to be great. Also ginger capsules and ginger candies.

I also can get car sick but have never been sea sick.

With the Bonine we just let it dissolve.

I use sea bands, but bring Bonine just in case I need something else. I have yet to take any after 10 cruises. I also ordered ginger candy from Amazon called GinsGins and carry them, just in case.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Same here except I have needed the bonine when seas were particularly rough. 90% of the time, the Sea Bands are all I need.

I get horrible motion sickness. Riding a carousal makes me queasy. The last cruise we went on i went to see my doctor and got a prescription for the round patches you put behind your ear. I put one on the night before we boarded the ship and replaced it every three days. It worked great no sea sickness at all. We did a catamaran snorkel excursion in Tortola, very rough seas on the way back. I never got sick on that one either. Though i was drinking ginger beer with rum during the excursion...lol i think that helped.

My daughter in law and granddaughter are highly sensitive to motion sickness. The Relief Band has opened up all sorts of experiences to them. My daughter in law swears by them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums