NOT happy with RCCL 😡

We sail on the Mariner on July 30. While poking around online working on our check in, I noticed the cabin # was incorrect. I double checked my TA invoice and confirmed that it did have the correct cabin #, then I emailed my TA.

It turns out, RC changed our cabin due to “construction and modification” of the cabin we booked. With the recent refurb, I totally get that but 1. This was done weeks ago and they never emailed to let us know and 2. We specifically booked on the same deck and close by to people we are traveling with and now we are on different decks. The new cabin is a “downgrade” too- still a Jr Suite but on a lower deck with an obstructed View.

RC did kindly give us a $50 OBC but I’m still not impressed!

Is there anything I can do about it now? The sailing looks pretty much booked up.

Thanks

All you can do is try to find another JS on the same deck. They will change you to any available stateroom in the same exact category for no extra charge. Use RC's UK website to see available staterooms.

Also, I was unaware of any JS staterooms on Mariner that have an obstructed view, except for aft JS staterooms.

We sail on the Mariner on July 30. While poking around online working on our check in, I noticed the cabin # was incorrect. I double checked my TA invoice and confirmed that it did have the correct cabin #, then I emailed my TA.

It turns out, RC changed our cabin due to “construction and modification” of the cabin we booked. With the recent refurb, I totally get that but 1. This was done weeks ago and they never emailed to let us know and 2. We specifically booked on the same deck and close by to people we are traveling with and now we are on different decks. The new cabin is a “downgrade” too- still a Jr Suite but on a lower deck with an obstructed View.

Is there anything I can do about it now? The sailing looks pretty much booked up.

Thanks

I see 8 JS available on your sailing, all on deck 9 and 10. These are for 2 people, is your party more than that?

Thanks

If you booked through a TA the cruise line will send any communications for changes like this to the TA not to you directly. It is up to the TA to notify you of the change. Some TA's are very good at communicating such changes, others are very poor. One of the reasons why I book directly with the cruise lines and not through a TA.

You can always have your TA try to get a different room location.

I would check other JS's on the Deck you were originally on to see what is available near your friends then call your TA to have you moved to that Cabin. Your TA should have notified you and asked which cabin you would like to be moved to. It is unfortunate some TA's do not look out for their clients. My TA would have called or emailed me to notify me of a change.

I see 8 JS available on your sailing, all on deck 9 and 10. These are for 2 people, is your party more than that?

Those JS's for 2 people on decks 9 and 10 are all category J4. However, since there are no J4 category rooms with obstructed views, we can deduce that the OP is in a J3 room. (Paradoxically, even though J3 is the higher category, all of the "obstructed view" JS rooms are aft J3s.) The cruise line would have to offer more than a $50 OBC if it downgraded the OP from J3 to J4 and, in any case, that would only be possible if there are no more than 2 in the room.

TA said he had no idea and never received an email. He acted “outraged” about the whole deal and said he let RC know his feelings, but basically all he said was sorry.

We are in an aft JS - 4 people. Originally on deck 7 aft (not a GTY) now on deck 6. Not exactly “obstructed”, but I had concerns about the aft view so I specifically chose the higher deck.

I’m more annoyed about the fact that my parents are now on another deck. We imagined the kids easily going back and forth between the cabins...now that’s not really an option. No quad JS left and no balconies for my parents. 😡

So strange...wonder what type of "construction and modifications" could be going on one month after dry dock? If it was the JS on Deck 11 that would be understandable as those are being put in but from Deck 7 to 6, those all existed to begin with.

Keep checking with RCL, sometimes rooms open up. You're still a month out. That is terrible though. I would be upset too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This same thing happened to us on the Allure. We had picked are cabin next to my sister almost a year in advace. They moved us due to construction and did not notify us. We found out by reading our roll call. We were no longer near each other and had a down graded cabin We started with resolutions and when we did not get satisfaction we went further. It ended well but we had to be a squeaky wheel. I know many people will criticize and say it was not important to be next to my sister but to us it is part of the vacation experience.

We are in an aft JS - 4 people. Originally on deck 7 aft (not a GTY) now on deck 6. Not exactly “obstructed”, but I had concerns about the aft view so I specifically chose the higher deck.

😡

As you said, those aft J3s are not really obstructed. The view does include a steel structure that is part of the shape of the ship but it does not really block anything. There are photos if this on a web site that I cannot link to but that you can find by googling "cruise deck plans". By the way, I find it difficult to imagine what they are "constructing or modifying" on the deck 7 aft rooms that does not also affect the deck 6 aft rooms that are right underneath, since I am pretty sure that all of the aft J3s are rooms that have been part of the ship since it was first built.

This was done weeks ago and they never emailed to let us know

Thats got to drive you nuts. On our last sailing we booked a guaranteed central park balcony....room assignments came out and we were assigned a boardwalk balcony. It took multiple phone calls and messages to supervisors for them to finally "allow" me to keep my central park amenities package as opposed to the central park amenities package they gave me but I finally got everything approved. Wouldn't you know it, we get to our room and they've given us the wrong amenities package which took two trips to guest services, three phone calls and three days to get straightened out (missing two sea days we could have used the specialty lunch).

Its not like these kind of things happen to everyone but they do and when they do RCCL doesnt do a very good job of making up for them in my opinion.

TA said he had no idea and never received an email. He acted “outraged” about the whole deal and said he let RC know his feelings, but basically all he said was sorry.

I’m more annoyed about the fact that my parents are now on another deck. We imagined the kids easily going back and forth between the cabins...now that’s not really an option. No quad JS left and no balconies for my parents. [emoji35]

That would REALLY tick me off.

Deck 6 aft balconies are definitely not as good as Deck 7. That's one loooong expanse of blank deck between you and the ocean.

And I quite understand the convenience of being near the rest of your party.

Keep calling. Ask for something: much higher OBC. Your old cabin back. A PAIR of deck 7 junior suites for two.

So it looks like the original cabin we booked was changed from a quad to a double (does that really happen during a refurb??). When I put in 2 people, it shows as available. I'm currently on hold with "resolutions" but she doesn't seem too eager to help.

Sounds like your TA didn’t inform you. Of course they’ll probably say they didn’t know but RC does notify the TA’s when this happens.

RC has a habit of “forgetting” to notify both passengers who booked direct through the cruise line and TA’s.

Unfortunately given Royal’s track record with sending out information it is pretty hard if not impossible to blame the TA with 100% certainty.

That would REALLY tick me off.

Deck 6 aft balconies are definitely not as good as Deck 7. That's one loooong expanse of blank deck between you and the ocean.

And I quite understand the convenience of being near the rest of your party.

Keep calling. Ask for something: much higher OBC. Your old cabin back. A PAIR of deck 7 junior suites for two.

I also suggest that when you actually board the ship, you take a look at what is really happening to the deck 7 aft J3s. What would tick me off the worst of all would be if it turned out that there was no construction and modification” going on there at all but that someone else was occupying the cabin that you originally reserved.

If you look at the deck plans, the original cabin has a "sofa bed eligible" symbol and that category says it sleeps 3, not 4. Maybe that is the "construction and modification" they are referring to, the cabin was modified during construction and now sleeps 3.

If you look at the deck plans, the original cabin has a "sofa bed eligible" symbol and that category says it sleeps 3, not 4. Maybe that is the "construction and modification" they are referring to, the cabin was modified during construction and now sleeps 3.

Or they took out the sofa bed during dry dock....

So it looks like the original cabin we booked was changed from a quad to a double (does that really happen during a refurb??). When I put in 2 people, it shows as available. I'm currently on hold with "resolutions" but she doesn't seem too eager to help.

Ok, then ask for an additional JS nearby. [emoji1]