Pools and Sanctuary on Ruby Princess

TheSmashingCruiser

Hello All,

We're very much looking forward to our upcoming cruise over Christmas on Ruby, but I'm struggling to get my head around the pool and Sanctuary situation. I need to evaluate whether the Sanctuary is for us or not?

Looking at the deck plans, on Deck 15 (Lido), there are two pools with four hot tubs in total. I assume that anyone can use these? I also assume this is where the main 'action' is along with bars and snacks etc.

At the back of the ship on Deck 14 (Riviera) there is the Terrace Pool, I understand this is adults only (which is fine, two adults travelling), but is there a bar or bar service there?

Finally, the head scratcher...on Deck 16 (Sun) there is a pool below the Sanctuary, is this for the Sanctuary guests or can anyone use this? It looks a bit shady... is it?

Then the Sanctuary itself, whilst the idea of it sounds nice, and the cost isn't an issue, looking at YouTube videos and some pictures, it looks like the chairs are in the shade and sheltered away from the sun... is this the case, or can you request a sunny or shady spot?

Ultimately, we like to sit by the pool, dip in the pool, dip in the hot tub, have a few drinks and relax in the sunshine.

If any of you nice people can shed some light on the situation, that would be great.

Many Thanks!

Check the deck plans for deck 15 - Lido - aft- past the horizon court and bistro.

the Outrigger bar should be there, at least it was on the Crown

The Outrigger Bar is definitely our go to hangout bar, depending on the time of day and sun (wife) shade (me) situation

The Lotus Pool is what you are seeing on the Sun Deck map. It is for anyone but also adults only.

The Sanctuary has an open outdoor area with plenty of sun as well as the more shaded area forward of that.

The outdoor sun area kind of surrounds the Lotus pool which is below - not on same level. In fact, the closest washrooms to Sanctuary are to skip down the few steps to Lotus pool and go inside the spa area.

Hello All,

We're very much looking forward to our upcoming cruise over Christmas on Ruby, but I'm struggling to get my head around the pool and Sanctuary situation. I need to evaluate whether the Sanctuary is for us or not?

Looking at the deck plans, on Deck 15 (Lido), there are two pools with four hot tubs in total. I assume that anyone can use these? I also assume this is where the main 'action' is along with bars and snacks etc.

Neptune's Reef Pool & Calypso Reef Pool are as you describe. The Calypso Reef Pool has Movies Under the Stars that runs most of the day. There is a grill, pizza and soft ice cream by these pools. I would expect over Christmas that there would be lots of youth on board and these two pools along with the Chill Out Pool, deck 17 aft, is where the youth will hang out.

At the back of the ship on Deck 14 (Riviera) there is the Terrace Pool, I understand this is adults only (which is fine, two adults travelling), but is there a bar or bar service there?

Yes, adults only. The Outrigger bar is on Deck 15. There are bar waiters that roam the area. This is a very popular pool, with limited seating and very little shade coveted by many.

Finally, the head scratcher...on Deck 16 (Sun) there is a pool below the Sanctuary, is this for the Sanctuary guests or can anyone use this? It looks a bit shady... is it?

The Lotus Spa Pool is adults only and adjacent steam & saunas (no charge) are open to everyone. Very little service in this area. You would have to get up and go to the bar on deck 15.

Then the Sanctuary itself, whilst the idea of it sounds nice, and the cost isn't an issue, looking at YouTube videos and some pictures, it looks like the chairs are in the shade and sheltered away from the sun... is this the case, or can you request a sunny or shady spot?

Go to the sanctuary right after boarding to see what it looks like and then you can decide if you want it or not. There are sun and shade lounges. To dip in a pool from the sancutary you have to walk over to the Lotus Pool.

Ultimately, we like to sit by the pool, dip in the pool, dip in the hot tub, have a few drinks and relax in the sunshine.

If any of you nice people can shed some light on the situation, that would be great.

Many Thanks!

See above

Many Thanks!

I guess the Neptune's and Calypso Pool area may just be right fo you. It's getting an available lounger at your prefered time and location that you have deal with.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As noted, there are two pools in the center of the Lido Deck. Each has its own bar, plus the Neptune’s Pool has the pizza, ice cream, and grill.

Unfortunately, the abomination called Movies Under The Stars ruins the Calypso Pool. The noise from the soundtrack ruins any chance of enjoying peace and quiet, and frankly, there is too much noise from kids and adults for me to understand the soundtrack. During the day, they are playing concerts and sporting events, and it is too bright to really see the video. I hate the entire Movies Over The Pool experience. To be fair, I won't watch movies in a theater or on cabin TV either during a cruise -- there is too much other stuff I am interested in instead. I like "on demand" on my own schedule!

Because I like some activity going on, but hate the Movies Experience, the Neptune’s Pool is often my area to hang out.

The Terrace Pool/Outrigger Bar is a great area. I will often eat out here if I am eating from the Horizon Court buffet. If you can’t get a table/chair on 15, head down to 14 to see if there is anything open by the pool. For me, this is a sit-down and eat area, not a lie down and sun area.

I have never spent any time at the Lotus Pool. The few times I have wandered in, during my tours of the ship, it has been basically deserted. But if the ship is crowded and there are a lot of families (kids!), it might be a great escape.

The Sanctuary: I tried it once, and I prefer the activity by the main pool. I’ve won Sexy Leg Contests; I’ve competed in Gold Chipping contests, and other pool activities. Even if I liked it (I did not), I would resent the idea of having to pay extra for a nice area to sun myself and relax on a cruise ship. Isn’t this what I am already paying $450 a day (per couple) for? I’d just go out on my balcony and stretch out there, if this is what I wanted.

I haven't been on Ruby yet but I have been on Golden which has an identical setup for the Sanctuary and Lotus Spa Pool and I loved it. We were on a 21 night repositioning cruise from Sydney to Hong Kong so had lots of sea days. We spent a lot of time in the Sanctuary and it was lovely just being able to pop down for a quick dip. The Lotus Spa Pool was quite sheltered and usually one side was shaded from the sun which seemed to make the pool seem a little more refreshing on very hot days. It was a very peaceful place for a dip. There aren't many loungers around that pool so it was worth paying the extra for the Sanctuary in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to trying Ruby when she comes down to Australia in a couple of years.

Thanks everyone for your speedy replies and insights. I think we'll explore The Sanctuary on embarkation day and take it from there.

Happy travels everyone!

Depending on where the cruise is going, you may want to go directly to the Sanctuary when you first board, check it out and make reservations. On warm cruises it can book up entirely by evening of the first day.

The Lotus Spa pool is smaller, adult only and has limited seating around it. It is surrounded by the Spa such that it sets in a "hole" with the only sunlight coming in from above. I have seen it busy and deserted at times as it mostly depends on the weather.

I am a slave to Sanctuary. On a cruise, my idea of relaxation is a book and the ocean and quiet. We generally book Sanctuary for the afternoons of every sea day. I love the service, the solace and the solitude. Waiters get you anything you want, tea every afternoon at no extra charge, the most comfortable chaises on board. Worth every penny.

BUT you must get on board early and go DIRECTLY to the Sanctuary to get the chaises you want. You will have the same ones every day. Ask the attendants about the arc of the sun and the locations least affected by wind. I prefer shade myself.

The Sanctuary rocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk