CruiseNext DoubleUp option

misteroz

I was just looking at the NCL cruisenext rules, and noticed that you can use 2 deposits on a balcony and above if you book six months in advanced. Is this something new? I have not seen it mentioned before.

https://www.ncl.com/ch/en/cruisenext

Get 2X FREE money when applying two CruiseNext deposits to one stateroom when you book a balcony or higher at least 6 months prior to sailing.

Edited by misteroz
typo
  • Like 1

I’m pretty sure cruisenext doesn’t have any restrictions for use. The OP has already mentioned the only qualification that I was told about when booking my cruisenext with an agent on the Escape this year. You can use your cruisenext certificates anytime in the redemption period, and you may use two if booking booking a balcony or high on a reservation at least 6 months out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My friend and I bought 2 cruise next certificates on a cruise to Alaska because we were told we could use them both on a cruise that we were interested in to Australia. When we called to book a balcony (one for each of us), we were told that it was not true, and they would only let us use one. I still have one that I need to use, and I haven’t gone on my trip yet. Do you think I was given incorrect information? I booked at a year out.

My friend and I bought 2 cruise next certificates on a cruise to Alaska because we were told we could use them both on a cruise that we were interested in to Australia. When we called to book a balcony (one for each of us), we were told that it was not true, and they would only let us use one. I still have one that I need to use, and I haven’t gone on my trip yet. Do you think I was given incorrect information? I booked at a year out.

If your Australian cruise is more than 6 months in the future and you recently booked, then call and as to apply thto second certificate. Read the terms and conditions posted.

I have to admit I had my doubts about being able to use two vouchers for one booking (I don't see why not, but they change the rules all the time). Sometimes you can use two when they run a promotion. Sometimes you can use two on the basis mentioned above (6+ nights, 6 months out). But it's never really clear and there's always doubt in my mind if at some point in the future they say you can't use two - they can change it at any time. I take what the CruiseNext reps on board say with a pinch of salt as they are essentially salespeople - and I do anticipate the day I will be told on-board when I purchase them that I can use two but when it comes to booking I'll be told something different.

Actually in booking my Breakaway cruise for next July, I was told conflicting information by the TA (quoted below):

"I just confirmed with Norwegian that you can use one (1) of your cruise next vouchers on this cruise and I would need a Latitude number for the other couple to confirm that they have one."

I responded with:

"I am disappointed only 1 voucher can be used, as when these were sold on a recent cruise we were told 2 could be used.

Indeed, on looking at NCL's website at the moment it says:

CRUISENEXT PROMOTIONS

Apply two of your Cruise Reward, CruiseNext or CruiseNext Haven deposits to your next eligible cruise when you book a balcony or above stateroom.

When you book in a balcony or higher stateroom, you can apply two Cruise Reward, CruiseNext or CruiseNext Haven deposits to your reservation.*

Booking Window: 9/22/17 4pm – 11/17/17 11:59pm EST

We are still within the window. Please update the quote to reflect the vouchers and I will crunch the final numbers to see if they work."

Then I get this back:

"I checked with Norwegian again and was told you could use two vouchers for each reservation at a value of $250.00 USD per voucher. I am not sure why I have been given two different answers from them and it is completely their decision what can be applied at booking time."

Hardly gives you faith!! There is still doubt in that response as the TA is implying if he speaks to someone else when he makes the booking who will only accept one voucher then tough luck. The lack of consistency isn't great at all and may factor in my decision to buy more in the future.

Be aware of this one catch: If you use 2 certificates, then see a better deal advertised for your cruise and it is less than 6 months before, and you re-book to get the better deal, they will take one of the certificates off your booking and give it back to you.

Be aware of this one catch: If you use 2 certificates, then see a better deal advertised for your cruise and it is less than 6 months before, and you re-book to get the better deal, they will take one of the certificates off your booking and give it back to you.

I had 2 used on a balcony, cancelled and moved to a Haven suite and they gave one back but I just went in again and applied it to the reservation online

• 2 months later...
Is it true that you receive an additional on board credit when you use the 2 cruise next deposits?

You don't get OBC when you use them, you get OBC only when you buy them on board. 2 will get you $250 OBC for the cruise you are on (basically, buy 1 get 1 free).

Nope that been in place for a while, i just booked a cruise in 2019 was able to apply 2 of my deposits to the room.

Damn, I wish I had noticed that. We bought the 2 when on our Nov cruise and could have used the two for our May cruise. Oh well, live and learn, but I am getting to old to learn sometimes. :)

Damn, I wish I had noticed that. We bought the 2 when on our Nov cruise and could have used the two for our May cruise. Oh well, live and learn, but I am getting to old to learn sometimes. :)

Nita, I suppose it is too late for you to apply them now because I think at this point you are past final payment?

Thanks,

Fred

We used 2 certificates on our Transatlantic Cruise we had booked before we did a Panama Cruise, we bought the certificates on the Panama Cruise, Just before final payment Of the TA called and had the certificates applied. I did run into a problem. When we booked the Transatlantic Cruise it was a Latitudes Rewards Cruise earning enough rewards that when we boarded for the B2B MED Cruise we would be Platinum. When I printed out the receipt for using the credits the LR category was gone. I called NCL and was told the Transatlantic was NOT LR but the Med was. Not happy because I was counting on being Platinum for the Med, taking advantage of the free laundry and 2 dinners. I’m not one to argue so I let it go..... well today I booked the Thermal Spa pass, paid for it, and when I printed out the receipt low and behold the Latitudes Reward was notated on our Transatlantic Cruise again. Who knows how but I’m not calling again.

• 10 months later...

So, when exactly did NCL change the rules on CruiseNext deposits?  We have always purchased 2 , and always used them when booking our next cruise, which has been an inside cabin booked within a few weeks of sailing.  I believe we have done this about half a dozen times or so in the past.  On our last NCL cruise Oct 2017, we bought 4 deposits, after carefully discussing it with NCL staff.  We were aware that to cash in all 4, we would have to have a balcony cabin, and that was our intention at that time.  I guess we thought of 2 deposits being 1 per person, ie myself and my wife, on each cruise.

So I was amazed when today I booked an inside cabin on NCL for a March cruise, and my Travel Agent advises that I could only use 1 deposit per cabin!!!  I thought they had made a mistake, and asked her to check with NCL.  The word came back that indeed it was so, only one could be used. 

Even the DoubleUp promotion seems to have crept in recently?  

So, when exactly did NCL sneak in this change to the rules?

I have done it the past 2 years.  Bought 4 for $1000 got $500 OBC, then booked a cruise for the following year.  Last year I applied all 4 credits for 2 balcony rooms, This year 2 for a balcony and 1 for a studio with 1 left over.  If you book a cruise on the ship you get a free stateroom upgrade, basically got the highest category balcony for the lowest category balcony price.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, techappl said:

So, when exactly did NCL change the rules on CruiseNext deposits?  We have always purchased 2 , and always used them when booking our next cruise, which has been an inside cabin booked within a few weeks of sailing.  I believe we have done this about half a dozen times or so in the past.  On our last NCL cruise Oct 2017, we bought 4 deposits, after carefully discussing it with NCL staff.  We were aware that to cash in all 4, we would have to have a balcony cabin, and that was our intention at that time.  I guess we thought of 2 deposits being 1 per person, ie myself and my wife, on each cruise.

So I was amazed when today I booked an inside cabin on NCL for a March cruise, and my Travel Agent advises that I could only use 1 deposit per cabin!!!  I thought they had made a mistake, and asked her to check with NCL.  The word came back that indeed it was so, only one could be used. 

Even the DoubleUp promotion seems to have crept in recently?  

So, when exactly did NCL sneak in this change to the rules?

CruiseNext certificates have always been per cabin.  It's one per cabin on inside & ocean view, or two per cabin on balcony & mini-suite.  I've never heard of anyone using 2 on an inside or 4 on a balcony.  Are you confusing the fact that you pay $250 for $500 worth of credit?  That's the main value of CruiseNext certificates these days given that the $50 per person deposit promotion is seemingly permanent.