Internet on Regatta

ricka47

We generally sail Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and are considering a 10-day cruise on the Regatta this April. I teach online and will need reliable Internet. I note that the Internet on Oceania is relatively expensive at $27.99 per day for unlimited. But, I'm more concerned with how well it works. Does anyone have any recent experience?

Also, as someone coming from the mainstream cruise line world, what differences would we likely to notice on Oceania. Thanks!

I’m on the Marina now and internet service has been mostly nonexistent. Worst I’ve ever seen ! People have been going ashore to check email. Don’t know what is going on?

Thanks - I hope that isn't the norm. I did read that someone else had to leave an Oceania cruise early because they ran an Internet business and the connectivity was so bad that they could not work. I've not had that issue lately on Celebrity or RCI. I'm hoping for a few more reports before we book (or not).

On Regatta, you'll be dealing with 685 passengers instead of a couple of thousand. You'll dock usually closer in than the big ships. The food will be far superior without paying extra. Also the food is served to you in the buffet and staff help carry your plate.

The Olife choice promotion includes free unlimited internet plus another perk.

Take a look at a Concierge cabin.

Concierge Level Privileges

In addition to Suite & Stateroom Amenities

• NEW – Room service from the Grand Dining Room menu during lunch and dinner
  • NEW – FREE laundry service – up to 3 bags per stateroom+
  • Priority Noon ship embarkation
  • Complimentary welcome bottle of Champagne
  • Priority specialty restaurant reservations
  • Unlimited access to Canyon Ranch SpaClub® private Spa Terrace
  • FREE Unlimited Internet
  • IPad® upon request++
  • Exclusive discounts on Internet usage plans
  • Variety of Bulgari amenities
  • Complimentary Oceania Cruises logo tote bag
  • Cashmere lap blankets, perfect for relaxing on your veranda
  • Complimentary shoe shine service
  • Complimentary pressing of garments upon embarkation+++

We have two cruises in Regatta concierge cabins next year and one on Nautica the following year.

Plus everyone can get:

• AIRFARE included with Olife Choice*
  • FREE Internet*
  • FREE dining at all specialty restaurants
  • FREE and unlimited soft drinks, bottled water, cappuccino, espresso, teas and juices
  • FREE shuttle service from ship to city center in many ports of call – a daily value of up to $50 per guest
  • FREE room service dining 24 hours a day

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We generally sail Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and are considering a 10-day cruise on the Regatta this April. I teach online and will need reliable Internet. I note that the Internet on Oceania is relatively expensive at $27.99 per day for unlimited. But, I'm more concerned with how well it works. Does anyone have any recent experience?

Also, as someone coming from the mainstream cruise line world, what differences would we likely to notice on Oceania. Thanks!

If you've chosen the O Life pricing (vs "cruise only," which in most cases is "penny wise/pound foolish"), one unlimited internet account is included. That said, wireless connectivity within the cabins can be spotty.

However, on every Oceania ship, I can tell you that there is almost always strong and consistent fast connection in the rear rows of the main theater (close to the control booth).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you've chosen the O Life pricing (vs "cruise only," which in most cases is "penny wise/pound foolish"), one unlimited internet account is included. That said, wireless connectivity within the cabins can be spotty.

However, on every Oceania ship, I can tell you that there is almost always strong and consistent fast connection in the rear rows of the main theater (close to the control booth).

Thanks for the information about the theater. One of the nice things about my job is that I can work anywhere in the world as long as I can be connected. What I don't want to have happen, is what I've read on the forum here a few times about connectivity being awful and/or non-existent.

We were on the RCI Oasis recently and the the Celebrity Equinox soon after that and had great connectivity everywhere on the ship. But, I don't care if I have to go to a special area to get a connection. However, I do need to get online a few times a day to touch base with my students. It's a pain in the neck, but it pays for cruises!

My wife also teaches online university classes, via Blackboard and now Moodle. She always takes her own computer. She has been doing this for quite a few years while cruising almost all the Oceania ships and Celebrity as well as RCI. It's worked on all of them.

She has managed to always accomplish what she needs to, although she frequently gets up very early before others start using the system. As long as you realize the speed is going to be about like dial up then you'll be okay. We are all pretty much spoiled with broadband these days and most people aren't prepared for satellite internet.

Depending on where the repeater is located in relation to your cabin will also make a difference. Sometimes it helps to find a repeater located in a quiet public area and sit close to it.

As long as you don't use any real time programs you should be fine.

And yes, there are times it doesn't work at all, but eventually it comes back on.

Last year on Regatta the wifi was fine but I was not teaching online so for checking my emails & banking it worked for me

As stated above choose the O Life option you get unlimited internet plus one of the other choices

But you can never tell what the internet will be like certainly not like at home but works OK

My wife also teaches online university classes, via Blackboard and now Moodle. She always takes her own computer. She has been doing this for quite a few years while cruising almost all the Oceania ships and Celebrity as well as RCI. It's worked on all of them.

She has managed to always accomplish what she needs to, although she frequently gets up very early before others start using the system. As long as you realize the speed is going to be about like dial up then you'll be okay. We are all pretty much spoiled with broadband these days and most people aren't prepared for satellite internet.

Depending on where the repeater is located in relation to your cabin will also make a difference. Sometimes it helps to find a repeater located in a quiet public area and sit close to it.

As long as you don't use any real time programs you should be fine.

And yes, there are times it doesn't work at all, but eventually it comes back on.

I am up early to deal with the issues overnight and then just check in occasionally throughout the day. Nothing needs to be done in real time - so it should be OK. Thanks!

Last time on O (Nautica) even was OK with a VPN connection. Mind it the satellite delay plays some havoc with the encryption and slows down the connection further, but it still worked. Morning is always best. I still work and have many emails per day.

The solution for me is to retire :)

I was on Regatta about six weeks ago. The internet was generally good for casual use, but not something I would count on for work. In my opinion, you can't rely on it to be working at a precise time or for a specific duration or with enough capacity for transferring large files. If I needed to be able to monitor my work email and reply within 24 hours, yeah. But not anything more.

Not sure if location makes a difference - maybe someone else knows. I was on an Alaska route.

I was on Regatta about six weeks ago. The internet was generally good for casual use, but not something I would count on for work. In my opinion, you can't rely on it to be working at a precise time or for a specific duration or with enough capacity for transferring large files. If I needed to be able to monitor my work email and reply within 24 hours, yeah. But not anything more.

Not sure if location makes a difference - maybe someone else knows. I was on an Alaska route.

As to best location, read post #5 above.

Since nearly everyone started getting unlimited usage as a perk it is awful. If you happen to be up after midnight, no problem., works great. Almost impossible to load photos any other time. I preferred it when I used my sbc to pay for it. It actually worked pretty consistently then.

Mo

Since nearly everyone started getting unlimited usage as a perk it is awful. If you happen to be up after midnight, no problem., works great. Almost impossible to load photos any other time. I preferred it when I used my sbc to pay for it. It actually worked pretty consistently then.

Mo

Yeah, free internet is a blessing and a curse at the same time. But, for regular correspondence (not uploading pictures), was it generally OK for you?

I have to admit that on the Oasis, 24/7 (Voom) access and speed was great. I think that all cruise lines will have to up their game in this area with newer technology.

The pipe is only fixed. With all the users hopefully there will not be implemented caps on amount of use. NCL already does this in away as they block sites that have streaming content like YouTube, Comcast, Directv etc.. The Comcast was an issue for me as one of my internet providers is Comcast.

The problem with free wifi is everyone logs on when they are onboard and then they never log off. I know of someone who left the wifi connected overnight every night of the cruise. The more people who are connected at one time the slower the wifi is. O needs to find a way to log pepole off after a certain amount of time with no activity.

Did the promised NCL upgrade of 2016 that was supposed to bring a 4X increase in speed across all three brands tale place?

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-holdings-deliver-high-speed-wifi-across-companys-three-brands

I believe it did but then give just about everyone onboard free internet with people uploading their photos, chatting live, not logging off when finished, streaming movies & music plus other stuff they do

what do you think the outcome of that good deed does to the bandwidth :eek:

Some people must be connected 24/7

I believe it did but then give just about everyone onboard free internet with people uploading their photos, chatting live, not logging off when finished, streaming movies & music plus other stuff they do

what do you think the outcome of that good deed does to the bandwidth :eek:

Some people must be connected 24/7

Heck, I make part of my living online and don't need 24/7! If I can get a good two hours per day, I can keep my students at bay (hey, that rhymes).