I don't understand why people sail Celebrity

QueenofEverything

The issues with Celebrity website is frustrating and I was beginning to feel it was my laptop. Oh well, on my transatlantic in April I am not booking any of the tours through Celebrity but instead doing private tours, otherwise I think I would have given up on Celebrity and it's website, as well.

On another comment, living 45 mins outside Halifax, I will agree that being in a condo on the Halifax waterfront is just as relaxing as being on a cruise ship, IMHO.

No, it's a Russian saying that Regan liked and adopted. To quote a Washington Post article from 2016:

“Trust, but verify” entered American usage when Reagan’s adviser on Russian affairs, Suzanne Massie, was preparing the president for talks with Mikhail Gorbachev in 1986. Perhaps Reagan ought to learn a few Russian proverbs, Massie suggested, and the one he liked best was “Doveryai no proveryai” — trust, but verify.

Thanks for the information. I do like the proverb as well.

Bo, if you've ever been to Halifax you'll know it's as good or better than a cruise. We had a condo on the waterfront and when I got up each morning I could look out at the ocean (kind of like a nice verandah). Making up for it this year with 3 cruises though.

r - one additional question, do I have to bring a staff to take care of us like X does for the week or so aboard? LOL

If not, I want the info on the condo! :halo:

bon voyage

Need a like button on the forum. Love Halifax and the maritimes, now if we could have more warm weather we would be set. Oh and a cruiseline sailing out of our port would be the bomb! Would love to be able to sail at least once without a flight.

All good.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

We are going to visit Halifax on our September NCL cruise from Boston to Quebec City. Looking forward to that cruise. The benefit of a cruise is that you visit more than one place and you have a floating hotel with entertainment. We travel to see the World (as much as possible). Staying in the same place doesn't accomplish that.

Celebrity sends me emails on a regular basis that are personalized, and welcome "Javier" to book a new vacation or explore the latest deals. . . unfortunately, neither my husband nor I are named Javier. . . I cannot even figure out where to complain. . .

The Celebrity website is truly awful. I am a computer professional and I can't get it to work right at times. But when I call the Customer Service to help me out because I can't get the website to work right, they are always extremely helpful. And it's all worth it once I'm on board the ship. :D

Celebrity sends me emails on a regular basis that are personalized, and welcome "Javier" to book a new vacation or explore the latest deals. . . unfortunately, neither my husband nor I are named Javier. . . I cannot even figure out where to complain. . .

I was getting someone else’s personalised e mails, inviting me to book excursions and Speciality restaurants, for my up and coming cruise. I kept returning them to no avail.

When I was sent the invoice for a new cruise which I hadn’t booked, I decided enough was enough, so went on Celebrity’s FB page, which resulted in instant reaction.

I was called by Miami head office, explaining that the passenger whose emails I was getting, had the same first name as me.

If I had lived in the U.S.A I would probably have telephoned Miami, but there was no way I was going to pay for an overseas call to get them to rectify their mistakes.

Ok, rant coming. I think our upcoming first cruise with Celebrity may be our last and we haven't even set foot on the ship. We have been on many cruises on about 8 different cruiselines and never, never have we had so much trouble just trying to get it set up! What the heck is up with their website. Really??? In 2018 they don't have any tech people that can make a website that consistently works? There are probably high school kids that could do a better job. I can get into the website about 30% of the time.

We booked a Panama Canal tour over a year and a half ago. In November of 2016 we booked the one shore excursion we really wanted to do, the dome car train ride. A couple of months ago they cancelled it with no explanation. On the phone they said they just weren't doing it anymore. It is still available on other cruiselines. Major disappointment.

Then of course, they cancelled the whole cruise. I do understand that these things happen but how they have handled it is the biggest disappointment. The lack of informed employees and the total lack of follow up is driving me crazy. The only official notification was a phone call where the woman told me we would receive a refund and a 50% future cruise credit. Also offered was $250 towards airline change fees. Sounds good, right? She also said the future cruise credit would not have an expiration date, wrong. It must be used within a year. Not a biggie, but the people calling should have the correct information.

The refund eventually came thru and we booked a new cruise for the same time. We were told when the future cruise credit certificate came, we would be refunded the 50% we had to pay upfront because it was past final payment. It came, I called and a week later, no refund. I have actually called 3 times.

As far as the $250 for airline cancellation fees (even though our cost is $400 ea), they keep promising they will take care of it, but I have called and emailed 3 times and each time nothing. They promise they will let me know that they got my emails, but they don't.

I really don't think taking a cruise should be this frustrating. I do know this is an unusual circumstance, but when someone tells me they will follow up, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that they do so. Rant over.

Maybe we bumped into each other on the France?

These are mistakes of convenience. The web site errors are used as an excuse, in my opinion, to not be responsible for failures of performance.

Staff do not seem to be held accountable for their statements about actions or commitments, again in my opinion.

Wait for the new Chinese cruise line. One insult fits all but I hear if any staff misbehaves, its overboard. Oh, and no silverware. Just kidding, but you never know.

The Celebrity website is truly awful. I am a computer professional and I can't get it to work right at times. But when I call the Customer Service to help me out because I can't get the website to work right, they are always extremely helpful. And it's all worth it once I'm on board the ship. :D

And how is the internet speed?

How you figured out how to get MB transfer rates? I do. I upload 15MB files in under 1 minute.

I was getting someone else’s personalised e mails, inviting me to book excursions and Speciality restaurants, for my up and coming cruise. I kept returning them to no avail.

When I was sent the invoice for a new cruise which I hadn’t booked, I decided enough was enough, so went on Celebrity’s FB page, which resulted in instant reaction.

I was called by Miami head office, explaining that the passenger whose emails I was getting, had the same first name as me.

If I had lived in the U.S.A I would probably have telephoned Miami, but there was no way I was going to pay for an overseas call to get them to rectify their mistakes.

The same first name? I sometimes wonder how they manage to complete anything correctly. Perhaps someone else is receiving my personalized emails, which stopped coming just after the holidays;). This occurs repeatedly. With the help of Captain’s Club, I get it sorted, but weeks or months later the emails stop again.

Ok, rant coming. I think our upcoming first cruise with Celebrity may be our last and we haven't even set foot on the ship. We have been on many cruises on about 8 different cruiselines and never, never have we had so much trouble just trying to get it set up! What the heck is up with their website. Really??? In 2018 they don't have any tech people that can make a website that consistently works? There are probably high school kids that could do a better job. I can get into the website about 30% of the time.

We booked a Panama Canal tour over a year and a half ago. In November of 2016 we booked the one shore excursion we really wanted to do, the dome car train ride. A couple of months ago they cancelled it with no explanation. On the phone they said they just weren't doing it anymore. It is still available on other cruiselines. Major disappointment.

Then of course, they cancelled the whole cruise. I do understand that these things happen but how they have handled it is the biggest disappointment. The lack of informed employees and the total lack of follow up is driving me crazy. The only official notification was a phone call where the woman told me we would receive a refund and a 50% future cruise credit. Also offered was $250 towards airline change fees. Sounds good, right? She also said the future cruise credit would not have an expiration date, wrong. It must be used within a year. Not a biggie, but the people calling should have the correct information.

The refund eventually came thru and we booked a new cruise for the same time. We were told when the future cruise credit certificate came, we would be refunded the 50% we had to pay upfront because it was past final payment. It came, I called and a week later, no refund. I have actually called 3 times.

As far as the $250 for airline cancellation fees (even though our cost is $400 ea), they keep promising they will take care of it, but I have called and emailed 3 times and each time nothing. They promise they will let me know that they got my emails, but they don't.

I really don't think taking a cruise should be this frustrating. I do know this is an unusual circumstance, but when someone tells me they will follow up, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that they do so. Rant over.

Perhaps if you used a T/A instead of doing it yourself, you'd do better. I mean that's what they're there for!

True travel agents have a purpose but they won't always be able to deliver either. Cruise insurance anyone?
LOL, how dare you suggest that....

Some of us enjoy doing the process ourselves until something really happens then do not want to deal with the process of getting it unraveled in the amount of time it takes to get the job done regardless of how we view the 'easiness' of our situation to resolve.

Sometimes we forget that any company dealing with 100'six people hourly something is going to get mucked up. Sorry about that, yet it will happen, even if were me, I will roll with it, but keep on top of it.

Bon voyage

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Amen to that!

We just did 10 days on the Riviera. We wanted a change from Celebrity as the food on our Jan.2017 Eclipse trip was really quite poor overall. I'll admit we did book through the cruiseline. Normally, we always use a T/A. It was a flawless venture. Everything was perfect. I only feel we paid too much for their insurance. Two days before the cruise, I got a e-mail of an upgrade from our "inside" cabin to a B-1 balcony(1 step below Concierge level) The added price was $200pp. A terrific deal. We're booked on the Reflection for 14 days next Jan.(2019) Seems Celebrity is backing out of the 14 day cruises. We've done a 14 day B2B on the Regal Princess. The menu "repeated", even though we went to 2 different locations(West Caribbean & then to East Caribbean)That & the "return" to Ft. Lauderdale kind of soured us on B2B cruises.

We just did 10 days on the Riviera. We wanted a change from Celebrity as the food on our Jan.2017 Eclipse trip was really quite poor overall. I'll admit we did book through the cruiseline. Normally, we always use a T/A. It was a flawless venture. Everything was perfect. I only feel we paid too much for their insurance. Two days before the cruise, I got a e-mail of an upgrade from our "inside" cabin to a B-1 balcony(1 step below Concierge level) The added price was $200pp. A terrific deal. We're booked on the Reflection for 14 days next Jan.(2019) Seems Celebrity is backing out of the 14 day cruises. We've done a 14 day B2B on the Regal Princess. The menu "repeated", even though we went to 2 different locations(West Caribbean & then to East Caribbean)That & the "return" to Ft. Lauderdale kind of soured us on B2B cruises.

If you bought the cruise line insurance, you may have paid too much but you certainly didn't get the best value. Insurance from the cruise line only cover you when you in a port when you are on their shore excursions. Since we normally book private excursions or just get off and walk around, we want total coverage. You can only get that from other insurance companies. Talk to your TA.

Jim

SUCCESS!!! Finally got everything squared away from our cancelled Panama Canal cruise. Got the refunds, finally after 4 emails and 5 calls and several weeks of waiting. Am very relieved to be finished with that stuff! Now we can look forward to that frosty (those frosty beverages!!) and relaxing on a fantastic cruise!

SUCCESS!!! Finally got everything squared away from our cancelled Panama Canal cruise. Got the refunds, finally after 4 emails and 5 calls and several weeks of waiting. Am very relieved to be finished with that stuff! Now we can look forward to that frosty (those frosty beverages!!) and relaxing on a fantastic cruise!

Congrats & bon voyage

There are two different Celebrity Cruises. The one on the ships is wonderful! The one on the land not so at times.
Well said. From my dealing with the shore side staff over a recent cruise being chartered, I've come to learn that as pleasant as the front line staff are (including the redeployment dept and captains club) they are only allowed to provide responses from the approved script. If you manage to get through to 2nd or 3rd level support, it is a completely different experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wonderful news! Have a great time:). Cheers!