I don't understand why people sail Celebrity

QueenofEverything

We booked a Panama Canal tour over a year and a half ago. In November of 2016 we booked the one shore excursion we really wanted to do, the dome car train ride. A couple of months ago they cancelled it with no explanation. On the phone they said they just weren't doing it anymore. It is still available on other cruiselines. Major disappointment.

I really don't think taking a cruise should be this frustrating. I do know this is an unusual circumstance, but when someone tells me they will follow up, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that they do so. Rant over.

I avoid frustration by booking with a travel agent.

As for the train excursion, if it is any consolation I have done the train trip in the dome car I don't recommend it. You don't see that much from the train as it is moving too fast. What I did on my second Panama Canal cruise was much better. I took a boat trip on a smaller vessel that sailed thru the canal to the Pacific coast.

Maybe I am in the minority but I have had no problems with the website. If I have one complaint is that X will raise the price and then come out with another sale. It seems shady. I am a first time cruiser and liked how on the X site I got out the door pricing. All the other cruiselines I needed to search for how much the drink package and internet was and ballpark it in my total. X it was included. having the free perks is what attracted me, not because they were free(i know nothing is free) but I got the total. I could also see a total if I upgraded to the go best package also to make the best decision.

Haven't used the Celebrity Cruise website - did our bookins through a TA. But did try to use their "ChoiceAir" website and it looked like something I might have knocked together in 1990!

I'm forming the opinion that the cruise line and 3rd party websites are only good for checking prices. Everything seems to work better using a TA or cruise line rep.

Haven't used the Celebrity Cruise website - did our bookins through a TA. But did try to use their "ChoiceAir" website and it looked like something I might have knocked together in 1990!

I'm forming the opinion that the cruise line and 3rd party websites are only good for checking prices. Everything seems to work better using a TA or cruise line rep.

ChoiceAir is contracted out so it is not really a Celebrity website. That said it has worked out for me several times. Lower fares and several times refundable. Particularly on International Airfare or flying on mulltiple airlines. So when I am doing my air I always check it. Sometimes I have to call ChoiceAir but it has been worth it.

ChoiceAir is contracted out so it is not really a Celebrity website. That said it has worked out for me several times. Lower fares and several times refundable. Particularly on International Airfare or flying on mulltiple airlines. So when I am doing my air I always check it. Sometimes I have to call ChoiceAir but it has been worth it.

That's good to know. Our next cruise is a too far out to get airfares but will keep an eye on it. Our flights are long (Auckland - FLL with at least one stopover ) and they are expensive.

Which just goes to show what remarkable value cruises are. Even in the days of "cheap" airfares, you can get a luxury 11 day cruise including food and booze for similar price to a couple of 17 hour plane rides with no bed and awful food.

Ok, rant coming. I think our upcoming first cruise with Celebrity may be our last and we haven't even set foot on the ship. We have been on many cruises on about 8 different cruiselines and never, never have we had so much trouble just trying to get it set up! What the heck is up with their website. Really??? In 2018 they don't have any tech people that can make a website that consistently works? There are probably high school kids that could do a better job. I can get into the website about 30% of the time.

We booked a Panama Canal tour over a year and a half ago. In November of 2016 we booked the one shore excursion we really wanted to do, the dome car train ride. A couple of months ago they cancelled it with no explanation. On the phone they said they just weren't doing it anymore. It is still available on other cruiselines. Major disappointment.

Then of course, they cancelled the whole cruise. I do understand that these things happen but how they have handled it is the biggest disappointment. The lack of informed employees and the total lack of follow up is driving me crazy. The only official notification was a phone call where the woman told me we would receive a refund and a 50% future cruise credit. Also offered was $250 towards airline change fees. Sounds good, right? She also said the future cruise credit would not have an expiration date, wrong. It must be used within a year. Not a biggie, but the people calling should have the correct information.

The refund eventually came thru and we booked a new cruise for the same time. We were told when the future cruise credit certificate came, we would be refunded the 50% we had to pay upfront because it was past final payment. It came, I called and a week later, no refund. I have actually called 3 times.

As far as the $250 for airline cancellation fees (even though our cost is $400 ea), they keep promising they will take care of it, but I have called and emailed 3 times and each time nothing. They promise they will let me know that they got my emails, but they don't.

I really don't think taking a cruise should be this frustrating. I do know this is an unusual circumstance, but when someone tells me they will follow up, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect that they do so. Rant over.

I completely agree. Royal Caribbean is seriously the way to go. Make sure all of your cruises are with them if you want the best experience possible (obviously you do). There's a reason why Royal Caribbean has been awarded BEST CRUISELINE OVERALL FOR 14 YEARS IN A ROW AND RUNNING!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You’re absolutely right. The web site is a sorry mess, and I’ve had 12 years to observe various “upgrades” and “patches” that often make the end user experience even more frustrating. The web site was a travesty in 2006, so I booked directly with Celebrity via phone. I care about cabin location, so I always book directly via phone, though I’ve sometimes transferred bookings to a TA. Aside from entering required immigration information & completing online check in, I’ll use the web site only for research, to put a cabin on hold, or purchase add-ons such as dining packages. I will also book Choice Air only via phone, and only for repositioning cruises. Unlike some of the posters on this thread, I’ve had more issues when using a TA.

Like another poster, we had something go haywire in our Captains Club records a couple years ago. I do all the research, planning and booking and use my credit card for our online account. For years, I was the “owner” of our cruise reservations, and I received all the emails from Celebrity regarding these bookings. Suddenly, the emails began going to my DH, and nothing I have done has fixed the issue. It’s infuriating:mad: It may seem like a trivial issue, but any woman will understand how vexing it is to suddenly be treated like an invisible non-person by a business to whom she has just handed a few thousand dollars!

And yet, for the actual cruise experience, Celebrity is still our closest fit amongst the mainstream lines for things that are important to us. Nothing is perfect, but last year we had a fabulous cruise experience from Miami to Barcelona, and a pretty good New England & Canada cruise experience. By cruise experience, I mean onboard & shoreside experience only, because the ports themselves were all lovely.

We’ve two cruises booked on Celebrity this year & we expect to enjoy both, but Celebrity had better up their game with the web site & communication issues because we can now afford to look at lines such as Viking & Oceania. I do not include Azamara because they’re afflicted with the same web site issues, and I can’t even get them to send me marketing emails!

I’m very sorry you’ve been struck with a perfect storm for your first Celebrity cruise, and I hope your refunds are sorted swiftly. I do believe that, once aboard the ship (as you say, with a frosty drink in hand) you’ll have a wonderful cruise. With few exceptions, we’ve found the crews helpful, professional and personable. The ships are cleaned constantly, to a very high standard, and the food is (on average) very good to excellent. There are many other positive things about Celebrity, but you’ll have seen most of them already. I hope you’ll post again about how well your refund issues were resolved, and how you liked your cruise. Wishing you a wonderful & relaxing cruise:)

Ok, rant coming. I think our upcoming first cruise with Celebrity may be our last and we haven't even set foot on the ship. We have been on many cruises on about 8 different cruiselines and never, never have we had so much trouble just trying to get it set up! What the heck is up with their website. Really??? In 2018 they don't have any tech people that can make a website that consistently works? There are probably high school kids that could do a better job. I can get into the website about 30% of the time.

Then of course, they cancelled the whole cruise. I do understand that these things happen but how they have handled it is the biggest disappointment. The lack of informed employees and the total lack of follow up is driving me crazy. The only official notification was a phone call where the woman told me we would receive a refund and a 50% future cruise credit. Also offered was $250 towards airline change fees. Sounds good, right? She also said the future cruise credit would not have an expiration date, wrong. It must be used within a year. Not a biggie, but the people calling should have the correct information.

The refund eventually came thru and we booked a new cruise for the same time. We were told when the future cruise credit certificate came, we would be refunded the 50% we had to pay upfront because it was past final payment. It came, I called and a week later, no refund. I have actually called 3 times.

As far as the $250 for airline cancellation fees (even though our cost is $400 ea), they keep promising they will take care of it, but I have called and emailed 3 times and each time nothing. They promise they will let me know that they got my emails, but they don't.

Yes, it was a rant. Simple solution - Don't go.

If you are so put off by things that happened BEFORE your cruise, you will be looking for things to go wrong while on the cruise.

Stick with a cruise line you know and like. It makes NO difference to us who really like Celebrity if you sail with Celebrity, Crystal, Carnival, or RCCL.

Yes, it was a rant. Simple solution - Don't go.

If you are so put off by things that happened BEFORE your cruise, you will be looking for things to go wrong while on the cruise.

Stick with a cruise line you know and like. It makes NO difference to us who really like Celebrity if you sail with Celebrity, Crystal, Carnival, or RCCL.

Wrong! We are well travelled and know there is no such thing as the perfect trip. Things go wrong. My point is that most of this is unnecessary. We always have a great time while travelling and a cruise is the greatest vacation of them all!

Sounds like what you need is a good (and I mean GOOD) Travel Agent. One who would do all the fighting on this thing for you. Always book on board and then move it to our TA. Takes really good care of us. Deals with X.

Shame they don't have awards for the best and worst websites

Made me LOL. No contest on worst website. I keep trying to get pricing on a 12 night Southern Caribbean. My math must be off because even though it keeps touting 2 free perks and lets me choose them it also charges me $650 for them. And for some reason when I enter 1 cabin and 2 passengers it gives me pricing for 3 cabins and 6 passengers. ??????? Frustrating as heck and pretty funny that in this day and age Celebrity can't create a functioning website.

I have had so many problems with their website over the past year but I have to say over the past month it’s been working pretty normal for me. I have been on multiple times doing cruise searches, browsing and booking shore excursions, and even finalizing my check-in for an upcoming cruise and only once did have an issue where a screen froze on me. But no being bounced out of the site or locked out of my reservations which was happening every time I came to the page a couple months ago. And back then I couldn’t even book excursions online I had to call them in. So fingers crossed that things continue to improve!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

With regard to the website, totally agree it's the worst. I found it somewhat okay functionally prior to the 'pretty' upgrade, but since then it is pretty bad. I've always used just for searching cruises and have always called once I made final selection, so that hasn't changed but searching is more painful with all the 'pretty' noise. What I miss is how I was able to manage my reservation after booking, excursions/payments/gifts etc ... that is terrible.

I just tried to may a payment on my cruise few days ago, the site kept presenting 'Pay in Full' to me ... I DON"T WANT TO PAY IN FULL. So I figure okay, just select that anyway and no surprise it then presents a toggle to select to pay an amount. Okay so I do that, go all the way to entering CC info and submit, then it presents me some crazy error message about past guest ID changes and not matching... huh. Don't even know what that means. I tried twice, same thing. So I call to make the payment and figure I'd tell agent the challenge and he says 'oh it is best to call us anyway to make a payment' ... uh ... you don't say ... CRAZY. The agents are always great though so it all just makes me chuckle.

I think the biggest problem in my mind is they present options but they don't always work. Either make them work or stop pretending the capability is available online. Oh and I work in IT so not buying that this is just how it works.

So with all that said, I still prefer Celebrity best right now and none of that changes my cruising with them (not yet anyway :)) The reverse scenario would be worse, a better website and not so great on board experience and I've had those.

Made me LOL. No contest on worst website. I keep trying to get pricing on a 12 night Southern Caribbean. My math must be off because even though it keeps touting 2 free perks and lets me choose them it also charges me $650 for them. And for some reason when I enter 1 cabin and 2 passengers it gives me pricing for 3 cabins and 6 passengers. ??????? Frustrating as heck and pretty funny that in this day and age Celebrity can't create a functioning website.

Again, I have to ask why you don't get a good TA? They don't cost anything to work with. The price is the same whether you use a TA or book directly with X and they will sometimes have access to fares and cabins you can't even see. One thing I do know is that often with the Better/Best offers is that they show a charge for gratuities as you check out and then you are credited for them when you check out...sometimes. That's why I use a TA. They wade through all that stuff.

Again, I have to ask why you don't get a good TA? They don't cost anything to work with. The price is the same whether you use a TA or book directly with X and they will sometimes have access to fares and cabins you can't even see. One thing I do know is that often with the Better/Best offers is that they show a charge for gratuities as you check out and then you are credited for them when you check out...sometimes. That's why I use a TA. They wade through all that stuff.

Can't speak for others but personally I do not use a TA because I prefer to control my own booking without the middle person. I tend to monitor A LOT and change things and a TA would just be a pain to me. Any I've had I've felt like a bother to them and having to convince them or explain to them things I have found to my advantage is not pleasant. Also, being able to call Celebrity directly .. priceless. To each their own.

Oh and I will add, a good TA is relative and not so easy to find depending on where you live. Countries tend to work different in this arena. Any I have had knew less than I did.

Yes, great advice. However, I’m sure you realize there are many more average (and some incompetent) TAs out there than great ones. Has your TA successfully handled all the details associated with a cruise cancellation and airfare refund such as the OP described? If so, I certainly hope I meet you someday so you can share that name with me:)

Over the past 2 years we had the wonderful experience of having 2 cruises cancelled. (the second was the replacement cruise .) I was beyond frustrated with celebrity. I finally hit my breaking point and emailed the ceo. Her staff helped me find a resolution that worked for all parties. Shoreside celebrity sucks! But once you are on their ships WOW! S class rocks and their crew is fantastic. Hope you have a great cruise

I"ll admit it's my pride and I'm stubborn. I have an associates degree in travel and tourism and feel like I should be able to figure this out on my own. Guess not :). I don't work as a travel agent and certainly have no issue with using one if necessary but something as simple as checking prices shouldn't require an agent. I really enjoyed the Celebrity product once onboard but had to call several times beforehand for simple silly stuff like an invoice, luggage tags and never could book their excursions or beverage package.

Celebrity agents on the phone were pleasant and helpful and they readily admit their website has issues.

I have had so many problems with their website over the past year but I have to say over the past month it’s been working pretty normal for me. I have been on multiple times doing cruise searches, browsing and booking shore excursions, and even finalizing my check-in for an upcoming cruise and only once did have an issue where a screen froze on me. But no being bounced out of the site or locked out of my reservations which was happening every time I came to the page a couple months ago. And back then I couldn’t even book excursions online I had to call them in. So fingers crossed that things continue to improve!

I've seen some improvement as well - or is it just that I've become familiar with some of the quirks and can get around them? :D

That said, we had completed online check-in a couple of weeks ago. Last night I went into our booking to confirm the card# we'll use for onboard. It was OK but I noticed some data for my wife, including passport#, was now missing. Everything was correct on our printed ePass but not online. In the meantime I've seen folks saying they suddenly have separate ePass docs for both pax instead of the normal one. Must be an enhancement. :)