Opinion? M Class Summit vs S Class and B2B vs 14 night cruise

hevnsprncs

Hi All, I am looking for opinions overall between what you preferred or disliked between the M Class and S class ships? Was the size difference really evident, did it result in more rocking? Anything noticeably missing? I'm considering the Summit but have sailed previously on Eclipse and Exquinox. Opinion 2 - Would you rather a 14 day itinerary or doing a B2B?

Thanks all in advance :):)

A 14 night itinerary is better than a b2b because you don’t have a turnaround day, you have a14n menu instead of 2-7n menus, and the entertainmet is more varied, rather than repeated.

As far as S vs. M class, I don’t think you have any difference in how they handle the seas, & while M class is somewhat smaller, we don’t find it noticeable.

The standard balcony rooms on M class are about 175 sq. Ft. Vs 190+ on S class, although Concierge rooms on M class are also 190 sq. ft. We find that there is a bit more storage in the M class staterooms, but still adequate on S class.

M class bathrooms have the dreaded shower curtain, while S class have shower doors, but standard rooms do not have hand held shower heads, while M class does. S class bathrooms have much more storage for your toiletries.

If you enjoy pre dinner dancing, M class have the Rendvouz Lounge, with a bandstand and dance floor, which S class lacks. Instead, you get to dance in the atrium.

Theater seating on M class is much more comfortable, with small cocktail tables forevery 2 seats, while S class seems cramped to us.

Oceanview cafe on S class is laid out much better, with islands of various type food as opposed to the standard buffet line set up on M class.

The outdoor grill on M class is conveniently on the pool deck and has more seating than S class grill, which is one deck above the pool with less seating.

S class ships, being newer, do seem a little more upscale however.

Having said that, we like both classes and would not hesitate to sail either one.

Enjoy you cruise!

Thanks so much for the replies. We received such a great deal on the 14 day itinerary we are likely sticking with it but it's hard not to continue to research while you wait for the trip to finally arrive :)

Thanks so much for the replies. We received such a great deal on the 14 day itinerary we are likely sticking with it but it's hard not to continue to research while you wait for the trip to finally arrive :)

What ship & sail date are you on? How good was the deal and is it still available? Thanks

Hi All, I am looking for opinions overall between what you preferred or disliked between the M Class and S class ships?

S-class OV Cafe has a much nicer layout and M-class specialty restaurants are much more limited e.g. no Murano.

Was the size difference really evident, did it result in more rocking?

Have not noticed any significant difference - if this is a concern then get a mid-ship cabin on a lower deck.

Anything noticeably missing? I'm considering the Summit but have sailed previously on Eclipse and Exquinox. Opinion 2 - Would you rather a 14 day itinerary or doing a B2B?

Are you assuming a B2B with two 7-day cruises? If so, then yeah, the 14-day cruise. But I would prefer a B2B with two 14-day cruises ;)

Thanks all in advance :):)

Enjoy either cruise.

We have never done B2B cruises but love our 14 day ones for several of the reasons already stated. We do much prefer the S-class ships and have never considered anything other than our 7 day Alaska and Bermuda cruises on a M-class. I find they are "darker" than S-class ships which have the atrium that lets so much light in. Oceanview Cafe has a much better layout on S-class ships and we were surprised to find that M-class ships don't have card rooms (which we really missed). The M-class ships, or at least the Millennium (the last one we were aboard), are in need of updating. Given a great itinerary we might consider a cruise on a M-class once the scheduled retrofits are complete. I must say the crew (in every area) on our Millennium cruise was without doubt the best we have had on any cruise.

Pretty much what everyone else said - lol

I really like the M class but haven't been on one in a while. I just love the T pool. That was a big miss (I think) with the S class. Nothing better than a few small hot tubs.

I like the buffet on S class better because of the stations and not the cafeteria style on the M class.

For me, the T pool more than makes up for the buffet layout. And yea, like someone said, that dreaded shower curtain on M class.... But it's only a few minutes a day.

If I had a choice I go 14 day versus a B2B. The advantage for the B2B is maybe double OBC but who knows.... I think with the B2B you really lose a day on the turnaround day.

Whatever you choose, enjoy

If you loved the S-class ships, I would tend to say to stick with a winner. I loved all my sailings on the Infinity but the M-class ships are older and won't have all the features of the S-class ships, some of which you might miss.

On the other hand, if you thought the S-class ships were too big / held too many passengers, sailing on an M-class ship might be just what you are looking for.

One thing I love about the M-class ships are those family veranda cabins in the aft as well as their thalasso (sp?) therapy pool in the covered pool section. I also tend to like the size of the M-class ships but every other vote goes to the S-class ships. They've never felt too crowded even though they hold several hundred more passengers.

I think you'd have a great cruise on either class of ship, but you might enjoy the WOW factor a bit more on the S-class ship.

We have never done B2B cruises but love our 14 day ones for several of the reasons already stated. We do much prefer the S-class ships and have never considered anything other than our 7 day Alaska and Bermuda cruises on a M-class. I find they are "darker" than S-class ships which have the atrium that lets so much light in. Oceanview Cafe has a much better layout on S-class ships and we were surprised to find that M-class ships don't have card rooms (which we really missed). The M-class ships, or at least the Millennium (the last one we were aboard), are in need of updating. Given a great itinerary we might consider a cruise on a M-class once the scheduled retrofits are complete. I must say the crew (in every area) on our Millennium cruise was without doubt the best we have had on any cruise.

M-class used to have card rooms adjacent to and a couple of steps up from the Cafe al Bacio, but several years ago they converted them to the current raised seating area with wait-staff service.

Perks and captain's club benefits are per cruise. Let's say you choose the $300 OBC as your "good" option you will get $300 on a 14 day cruise and $600 total if you book two 7 days cruises. Similarly, captain's club elites will get 1 laundry on the 14 night cruise and 1 on each of the 7 night cruises.

Not a deciding factor...but good to know.

What ship & sail date are you on? How good was the deal and is it still available? Thanks

12/07-12/21 Exotic Caribbean out of FLL... from a few weeks ago when we booked it to now it appears the price has gone up about 1k.

Hi All, I am looking for opinions overall between what you preferred or disliked between the M Class and S class ships? Was the size difference really evident, did it result in more rocking? Anything noticeably missing? I'm considering the Summit but have sailed previously on Eclipse and Exquinox.

It depends on which features matter most to you.

The S-class ships are larger and glitzier, with emphasis on appearance and "wow" factor.

The M-class ships are older but more comfortable, like a favorite pair of worn in shoes.

The smaller size makes them easier to get around, without feeling like I am hiking for miles to get from one end of the ship to the other.

The standard cabins are more attractive looking on the S-class ships, but better designed, more practical and convenient on the M-class ships.

The S-class ships have many more stores, a plus for passengers who enjoy shopping on cruise ships, but they have little appeal for others.

The same can be said for the greater variety of specialty restaurants.

We find the atrium much more crowded and noisy on the S-class ships.

It is hard to carry on a conversation at Guest Relations or Shore Excursions without shouting.

Some call the ambiance there "high energy" but we just call it annoying.

The Tuscan Grille location provides wonderful views on the S-class ships, but not on the M-class ships.

For those with special needs, the S-class accessible cabins have automated doors, which M-class accessible cabins lack.

The T-pool and promenade deck on the M-class ships are major pluses for those who enjoy them, while others don't care about them.

The M-class ships are more versatile, able to go places where the S-class ships don't fit.

Opinion 2 - Would you rather a 14 day itinerary or doing a B2B?

Having done both a number of times, I would very willingly do either again.

It would depend on itinerary, price, and the location of the turnaround day port.

For example, I would happily do a B2B that spends the turnaround day at a port like Vancouver or Seward and consider it a bonus to get the extra day there.

Repeating menus or entertainment don't bother me as I never get to try or see everything the first time around anyway, so it just provides another chance.

Edited by varoo

You have heard a lot of feedback on the ship classes themselves so I don't have much to add. I am very prone to motion sickness (despite having cruised more than 50 times, most on Celebrity) and IMHO there is slightly more motion felt on M class ships than S class, but not so much that it would impact my decision.

As to B2B or 14, I personally prefer the 14 nighter, especially if the B2B has the same itinerary. (even though I just did a B2B on Millennium to Alaska, but only because there are no 14 nighters to Alaska). Anyway........the main advantage of B2B cruises are the duplicating of the Captains Club perks, and sometimes of the OBC perks. If the itineraries are the same (like ours were in Alaska save for a Sitka stop on one leg), then it gives you the option to more deeply explore the port. The downside of B2B is the minor hassle on turn-around day (not too much if you are not changing cabins), the repeat of menus, shows, and often guest entertainers (although they can switch up). Even though you are not leaving, there is definitely an end of cruise vibe you will feel with the other passengers on the last day. 14 nighters often (not always) have fewer sea days than 2, 7 night cruises, but that can vary and you may consider it a plus or a minus.

You also will most likely get a different crowd. You can determine if that is a plus or a minus. On 14 nighters you will definitely get an older crowd. You will also get more people from around the globe than you will on 7 nights as people traveling far seem to prefer the longer cruises (although they also sometimes do B2B). You definitely will see fewer children on 14 night cruises (I have sailed on some with fewer than 10 onboard). I think the ambiance is also a little more laid back and relaxing as on 7 night cruises sometimes it feels like people are trying to cram as much fun as they can into a short time.

12/07-12/21 Exotic Caribbean out of FLL... from a few weeks ago when we booked it to now it appears the price has gone up about 1k.

I'm on that cruise and booked it 12/2016 when onboard the Eclipse. I check prices periodically but not all the time. We are in Aqua Cabin with 500 OBC, Drink Package, and Prepaid Gratuities for 5K. It's about 1K higher now without all the perks. But our price still seems high to me. It would be the 1st time in the Aqua and wished I had just booked a normal balcony when we booked this originally because I'm sure it was cheaper then.

I will keep a closer eye to catch a price drop if it happens before final payment.

I'm excited to sail on Reflection and the itinerary is so nice. It will our 1st time visiting the ABC islands.

As to B2B or 14, I personally prefer the 14 nighter, especially if the B2B has the same itinerary. (even though I just did a B2B on Millennium to Alaska, but only because there are no 14 nighters to Alaska).

Actually, there are. We did the Holland America 14 night round trip several years ago for their unique itinerary that cruises all the way up to Anchorage.

We really enjoyed that trip, even though it was actually more hectic and tiring than taking the Millennium's northbound + southbound cruises B2B .

I believe the reason is that with the B2B cruises, just knowing you will be back there again the following week removes the pressure of feeling you only get the one shot at it and need to do everything right then.

Edited by varoo

I'm on that cruise and booked it 12/2016 when onboard the Eclipse. I check prices periodically but not all the time. We are in Aqua Cabin with 500 OBC, Drink Package, and Prepaid Gratuities for 5K. It's about 1K higher now without all the perks. But our price still seems high to me. It would be the 1st time in the Aqua and wished I had just booked a normal balcony when we booked this originally because I'm sure it was cheaper then.

I will keep a closer eye to catch a price drop if it happens before final payment.

I'm excited to sail on Reflection and the itinerary is so nice. It will our 1st time visiting the ABC islands.

Based on the available cabins remaining the cruise looks almost sold out so somehow I doubt we will see any price drops unless a LOT of cancellations occur before final payment. I've been watching as well. We booked a concierge class room with the drink package, we missed the 2 perks included for the same price by ONE day. Our TA was at least able to give us $425 OBC as well as pre paid grats for $4600.