Zika???

Caitlynhanc

What is everyones thoughts on zika these days? I don't see many new forum discussions about it. I am hoping to travel to bahamas area in May, and I may or may not be pregnant. I have been on many cruises before and i have NEVER seen a bug lol was still planning on wearing lots of bug spray when we are docked and not doing any excursions. Is zika seeming to calm down now??

All I can say is we ended up rescheduling our December 2017 cruise to May 2019 due to my daughter's pregnancy. Her doctor did not want her going to the Caribbean, even if she stayed on the ship. She said there would be too many people going back & forth and it wasn't worth the risk to her baby.

What is everyones thoughts on zika these days? I don't see many new forum discussions about it. I am hoping to travel to bahamas area in May, and I may or may not be pregnant. I have been on many cruises before and i have NEVER seen a bug lol was still planning on wearing lots of bug spray when we are docked and not doing any excursions. Is zika seeming to calm down now??

Here is what the CDC is saying about Zika in The Bahamas.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-the-bahamas

We ended up not booking any Caribbean cruises during the time my wife was pregnant. We started to look for a trip to Thailand, but it turned out that they had Zika there. We ended up with one week on the Azores and one week on Mallorca.

We didn't want to risk it, even if the chance of being bit by a Zika infected mosquito is very little. We desided that we will be able to cruise in the Caribbean later on.

Personally, if I just had to take a cruise in May and didn't want to wait, I would choose one that goes up the coast to Canada. I've been on a lot of cruises and never been bitten by a mosquito, but I still use bug spray. I have even seen bugs on the cruise ships. I saw a couple at the beginning of the cruise I am on now that left out of Miami. Spraying poison on to my skin for a week while pregnant doesn't even sound like a good idea.

I have taken two Christmas cruises in the Caribbean in 2016 and 2017. For the 2016 cruise we received info about Zika before sailing, but not this last cruise. The itineraries were different, the first being Eastern Caribbean and the most recent cruise Western Caribbean.

I agree pick somewhere else to go if you are pregnant or planning to be one pregnant. Talk to your Dr, re using sprays, not sure I would do this if I were pregnant.

I’m pretty safe, late 60’s, had a hysterectomy, and no longer have a partner. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you book the cruise, and then you do become pregnant, it will be difficult to cite your pregnancy and Zika as reasons for a refund or a reschedule. Cruise lines bent their rules when Zika first emerged but now there are public health warnings in the affected areas. I agree with the others that you should run this by your OBGYN before booking.

This is a medical question best discussed with your doctor. I I would not go wirthout approval from my doctor given your hypothetical. Seeing you are hoping to be pregnanft why go ahead and book a c ruise? I would not.

Welcome to CC, Happy you found us.