Formal nights - suit and tie? Tux?

amandaepperson21

Unfortunately Celebrity has given up on formal nights, replacing them by 'Chic' nights, which in essence means no difference from other nights.

Love the chance on Princess and the occasional weekend cruise on P&O to dress up on formal nights 👍.

Not sure about Celebrity. I never saw so many pax dressed up as they did on Chic nights(Eclipse 14 day trip)in 2017. Each ship seems to have a different style & the Eclipse was more formal. Probably the longer trips, which we usually do. Never done a trip less than 10 days.

No. I think every one's pretty much treated the same. I'd say it's better treatment for those in suites(staff hoping for bigger tips)that might be the only difference.

Please post a picture of yourself in formal wear so we can see if you really walk the talk!! :cool:

I really resent others calling us slobs. My husband & I dress as we see fit for formal nights and always eat in the DR.

It seems as though some of the people on this board feel themselves above the rest of us who just cruise for relaxation and don't care to join the high and mighty crowd.

It seems you did NOT read my post! I never said you were called a slob. Geesh! Read a little more carefully! You'll have a mix of dress styles some will be to the nines,some with sport coats & ties(or no tie)some in slacks & collared shirts & yes a few will be dressed like slobs. Does that sound like you're being called a slob? If you feel that way, then explain your opinion as to why you felt you were called a slob.

Please post a picture of yourself in formal wear so we can see if you really walk the talk!! :cool:

The only pics I have in true formal(Tux & all) are from our several Cunard trips. Those pics are on a couple of tables in the living room. I like formal dress, I didn't say I always wear it. we pretty much dress in sport coat/tie & vest. If we go back to Cunard I'll wear a tux. Of course I'll have to get a new one as the old one I doubt I could get on with any sense of comfort.

Shorts at night in the MDR & specialty rest. are NOT allowed. They are fine in the buffet. Same goes for children. If you wish to test the Maître D's resolve, go for it, but be prepared to be denied entry. Read the Princess web site & get the info.

I agree w/ Keith. For each of the children, I would recommend packing a pair of long pants, as well as a pair of long pants for yourself. Khakis or Dockers are fine. If they are ironed perfectly flat, then folded in half or in thirds, they don't take up much space at all. -- EBC

I agree w/ Keith. For each of the children, I would recommend packing a pair of long pants, as well as a pair of long pants for yourself. Khakis or Dockers are fine. If they are ironed perfectly flat, then folded in half or in thirds, they don't take up much space at all. -- EBC

My grandkids each brought a suit with two dress shirts and ties Other nights wore dockers and collard tees. you can keep clothes in suit cases under beds if extra storage is needed. We used the laundry service also.

My grandkids each brought a suit with two dress shirts and ties Other nights wore dockers and collard tees. you can keep clothes in suit cases under beds if extra storage is needed. We used the laundry service also.

You can certainly bring shorts, but I'd also have the long pants for the kids as well.as well.

You can certainly bring shorts, but I'd also have the long pants for the kids as well.as well.

Kids wear the shorts for day activities and shore ex. But typically" live" in swim suitswith tees or coverups all day when on the ship. The A/C sometimes is on high, so a sweatshirt or light jacket when inside the ship is something to bring for everybody.

10 and 7. Not a huge deal one way or another, I'm just trying to figure what to pack. I don't want to pack too many long pants since it is the summer in the middle of the Caribbean and the other thread indicated the Caribbean Princess doesn't seem to cool all that well.

I always had my children in pants and immediately after dinner they would change back into shorts. Made it that we could get a few nights out of each of the pants. Since jeans are allowed on non formal nights, that could be an option. Unlike light colored pants, they won't show stains as easily in case something falls into their laps during dinner and they don't wrinkle as easily.

In their written dress code (which badly needs to be updated) Princess suggests pants in the dining rooms. However, what is written is not always what is done. It's really hard to know what the ship will be doing on that sailing and what they will allow. It's the inconsistency of Princess with dress codes that we can depend upon!

Either way, hope you enjoy your cruise!!!

In their written dress code (which badly needs to be updated) Princess suggests pants in the dining rooms. However, what is written is not always what is done. It's really hard to know what the ship will be doing on that sailing and what they will allow. It's the inconsistency of Princess with dress codes that we can depend upon!

Perhaps they'll begin to conform to the actuality of what's being worn on all their ships and more people won't feel compelled to bring all the extra clothing not really necessary.

I always had my children in pants and immediately after dinner they would change back into shorts. Made it that we could get a few nights out of each of the pants. Since jeans are allowed on non formal nights, that could be an option. Unlike light colored pants, they won't show stains as easily in case something falls into their laps during dinner and they don't wrinkle as easily.

So very very true.....:):):)

Bob

They always want to carry my wine in the water glasses from the cabin and we don't even even dress up. :cool:

Can you imagine what they would do if I did dress up?

That depends on the ship. Some Princess ships don't seem to mind shorts in the DR while others frown upon them.

I go by what I see others getting away with.

If I see shorts are OK, I'll wear my good dress shorts the next night with a polo.

If not, I revert to my unpressed raggedy jeans that don't have holes.

That's the important part- the holes. Anything else seems to suffice.

Wow. That particular statement really says a lot. This is an attitude that seems to be more and more prevalent. I don't find it to be a good trend but then I'm not in charge of the world. (Probably a good thing as I have no idea how I would be able to figure out how to manage it anyway.)

Edited by Thrak

Wow. That particular statement really says a lot. This is an attitude that seems to be more and more prevalent. I don't find it to be a good trend but then I'm not in charge of the world. (Probably a good thing as I have no idea how I would be able to figure out how to manage it anyway.)

Individualism is a beautiful thing.

Try it, you might like it.

I agree with the Host, Princess needs to stop the charade and post realistic dress codes. The outdated codes simply are not enforced. One thing I have noted however is the increasing number of men wearing a suit/sport coat and no tie. Trend of the future?

I agree with the Host, Princess needs to stop the charade and post realistic dress codes. The outdated codes simply are not enforced. One thing I have noted however is the increasing number of men wearing a suit/sport coat and no tie. Trend of the future?

I disagree. I think that it's very clear - formal wear is a suggestion on formal nights. They are happier if you dress up because they make money on pictures. But they don't want to alienate 75% of the passengers who would prefer casual dress. And this is why there is a suggested dress code.

The confusion is caused by people on this board who have an agenda.

That's how Oceania's "Country Club" casual was. Nice collared shirts & dress or neat khaki type slacks. About 20% or so wore a sport/suit coat in the "Grand Dining Room"(yeah, that's what they call it!)That form of style is what we wore. Surprisingly about 60%(rough guess) wore sport/suit coat in specialty rest. That's the opposite of what we've seen on all the other lines. Pax liked to dress it up a notch when dining "out" in the specialty rest. Especially, Jacques. That's where a lot of pax wore ties. We never wore our ties. Just too warm on board the ship. "Floridalover5623" has pretty much explained the "What to pack" section. He'll likely read this & post an explanation for those who aren't too familiar with it. It shows two types of dress codes. The one you'll see in the daily patter & the one to give you some suggestions on your suggested "minimum" packing needs. Though we DO like the formal dress codes, it does give those some choice if they don't want to go the full deal. For us on Princess formal nights(we'll wear tuxes only on Cunard)we bring about 3 sport/suit coats/ a few ties/a few dress shirts/a few vests(hides the weight gain)/a few nice pairs of shoes. We DO tend to dress up more than some. For days off the boat: light weight shorts/"fishing" type shirts.Really nice & light (Sam's Club has good prices on the shirts))walking & water shoes. It may seem like a lot, but we cruise for 10-15 day trips. We'd cut that amount in half if we did an 8 day cruise. This is pretty much what we bring to Celebrity or Oceania as well.

Edited by keithm
addition

He's also showing a bit of sarcasm. He's got some good points to ponder as well.

We have lost luggage traveling from the US to Europe. It took 4 days for our things to finally arrive. After that experience, I prefer carry-on luggage which limits the amount of clothing/shoes you can bring. For my husband, one outfit of fine evening wear with shoes can fill up an entire piece of carry-on luggage. Somehow, we manage to acceptably dress up, and have been fine on Princess and Oceania cruises. Like others stated, when on vacation, I like being comfortable. Where I'm from, we call it "California Casual". As mentioned previously on this post, there are multiple dining options; no one goes hungry!

Happy & Safe Travels to All!

I disagree. I think that it's very clear - formal wear is a suggestion on formal nights. They are happier if you dress up because they make money on pictures. But they don't want to alienate 75% of the passengers who would prefer casual dress. And this is why there is a suggested dress code.

Very well-said and it didn't take you over a dozen posts to say it!;)

No it is not. The confusion is caused by those who fail to recognize that cruise dress, like many other things, are changing.

While I agree cruise formal attire is changing, currently the ships post appropriate attire for formal night. Perhaps in the future suggested attire will change. You can take pictures daily and at each port. So buying pictures isn’t the reason for formal night. To me it is celebrating the cruise

While I agree cruise formal attire is changing, currently the ships post appropriate attire for formal night. Perhaps in the future suggested attire will change. You can take pictures daily and at each port. So buying pictures isn’t the reason for formal night. To me it is celebrating the cruise

There's a big difference between a picture of standing there with a pirate getting off the ship & one where people are dressed in a tux & gown in front of a backdrop.

That's simple. Join the casual crowd & relax instead of lugging all the extra clothing for a very few hours where no one (but yourself) cares how you dress anyway.