Formal nights - suit and tie? Tux?

amandaepperson21

For me personally, it's a tux. I stopped schlepping one years ago when someone turned me on to cruiseline formal wear dot com. Love having it in my room when I board.....:):):)

Bob

I'd be afraid the dang thing wouldn't fit when I got on the ship. Of course that particular web address isn't actually valid... It just says the domain is for sale. I "think" you mean cruiselineformal (minus the "wear") dot com. which takes one to the Cruiseline Formalwear site. (Confusing.)

I don't have appropriate shoes for a tux and don't "think" they provide those. The shoes I wear with my regular suit wouldn't cut it with a tux. Even if they did provide shoes my feet are weird and I can almost guarantee any shoes provided wouldn't fit. Do you bring your own shoes?

I'd be afraid the dang thing wouldn't fit when I got on the ship. Of course that particular web address isn't actually valid... It just says the domain is for sale. I "think" you mean cruiselineformal (minus the "wear") dot com. which takes one to the Cruiseline Formalwear site. (Confusing.)

I don't have appropriate shoes for a tux and don't "think" they provide those. The shoes I wear with my regular suit wouldn't cut it with a tux. Even if they did provide shoes my feet are weird and I can almost guarantee any shoes provided wouldn't fit. Do you bring your own shoes?

Shoes can also be rented. I haven't rented a tux in a while (bring a suit now), but the 2 or 3 times I did rent I also rented shoes (very shiny ;p).

I agree... We make reservations in a Specialty Restaurant on the off nights - usually 1 per week of a cruise - never on formal nights, but there are people who don't like to dress and they like the buffet on formal nights. :D

And there are even some who do not like to dress up in finery and they like to eat in the MDR. And are allowed to do just that.

First time cruising Princess this July. Would a black suit and tie be too formal on formal night? Tuxedo? Long evening gown? Maybe in one of the specialty restaurants?

I have read the dress code, but I know the dress code on cruise lines doesn't always align with what people actually wear onboard.

My husband and I enjoy dressing up on formal nights but don't want to look over dressed.

Thanks!

You'll see a mix of styles on formal nights. Some will dress to the nines, some with suit coat & tie(or no tie) some with collared shirt & slacks & a few will look like slobs. You'll see that on most lines. The specialty rest will mostly be smart casual which IS the stated dress code for those venues. If you like to dress up by all means please do. You will NOT be over dressed unless you wear a tux into Crown Grill or Sabatini's. There's some who wear a sport/suit coat & tie(us)but we're in the minority there. We just generally like to dress up.

First time cruising Princess this July. Would a black suit and tie be too formal on formal night? Tuxedo? Long evening gown? Maybe in one of the specialty restaurants?

I have read the dress code, but I know the dress code on cruise lines doesn't always align with what people actually wear onboard.

My husband and I enjoy dressing up on formal nights but don't want to look over dressed.

Thanks!

Absolutely not too dressed. My D H and I and at least 1/2 of passengers dress up. I prefer a short cocktail dress and he a tux jacket. You will not feel overdressed

My mistake on the website address. They have different sizes on the sip. I have had a couple of occasions where changes were made to ensure a better fit. They do have shoes as I have ordered them numerous times in the past. In fact on one cruise, I forgot to order them pre cruise along with the tux. Not to worry as I just rented a pair on the ship.....:):):)

Bob

I really resent others calling us slobs. My husband & I dress as we see fit for formal nights and always eat in the DR.

It seems as though some of the people on this board feel themselves above the rest of us who just cruise for relaxation and don't care to join the high and mighty crowd.

Thanks!

You do not need any of the above.

I really resent others calling us slobs. My husband & I dress as we see fit for formal nights and always eat in the DR.

It seems as though some of the people on this board feel themselves above the rest of us who just cruise for relaxation and don't care to join the high and mighty crowd.

Amen (and I'm agnostic)

I still don't understand why they get so upset by the passengers who choose to dress casual in the MDR on the optional formal night. Must be some sort of psychological problem.

It's your vacation, you paid for it, so dress the way you want to - because you can.

Amen (and I'm agnostic)

I still don't understand why they get so upset by the passengers who choose to dress casual in the MDR on the optional formal night. Must be some sort of psychological problem.

It's your vacation, you paid for it, so dress the way you want to - because you can.

Totally agree.....I am of the philosophy that "the man makes the clothes" and most of the fashion snobs on here are so superficial because they somehow think a tux is going to make them better then they really are....anyway....Princess does not enforce the codes so let them whine on "about how the times are a changing...literally!!" :rolleyes:

I personally do not care what a person wears- they are the one's who have to live with their decision. Some people just like not to follow tradition- Fortunately we aren't in a country that forces women to wear burkas and veils- so just relax all.

I enjoy seeing people dressed up, participating in a fun cruise ship ritual and taking memorable family pictures- but that is me.

Glad to hear that there are others like me. This may be asking for trouble, but I think if you wear a tux, you are treated better.

That might have been true 50 years ago on certain cruise lines but if you still believe it to be true today on Princess then dress up every night (with at least a suit & & tie) and see if your service improves even on causal evenings.

They might even usher you into the DR ahead of the waiting crowd. :D

Thanks!

If you like getting dressed up then please do so. My DH still wears his tux. I don't wear a gown, but dress up nice too. I might sew my self a long/gown type dress for our next cruise.

Both of us are very causal dressers every day. So, for me it is the only time I get to dress up.

Dress the way that you want to. Enjoy the night with each other.

Sorry to keep this going but since we are discussing dress codes....are nice shorts and polos acceptable during the non-formal nights in the MDR? Heading on our first Carribean cruise and trying to figure out how to pack. If not acceptable for adults, how about for kids? Please note I am talking about dressier shorts and a collared polo shirt rather than jean shorts and a t-shirt. Thanks!

Glad to hear that there are others like me. This may be asking for trouble, but I think if you wear a tux, you are treated better.

See I think that it doesn't matter whether or not you wear a tux, you are treated better if you tip.

In some people's mind that may be true but probably not in reality on a cruise ship.

Sorry to keep this going but since we are discussing dress codes....are nice shorts and polos acceptable during the non-formal nights in the MDR? Heading on our first Carribean cruise and trying to figure out how to pack. If not acceptable for adults, how about for kids? Please note I am talking about dressier shorts and a collared polo shirt rather than jean shorts and a t-shirt. Thanks!
According to Princess, shorts are NOT allowed in MDRs for dinner. Polos are fine.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Thanks! I was planning on wearing khakis and a polo so it wouldn't have been an issue. Do you think dressier shorts would be ok for children?

How old are the children? Might be acceptable for toddlers but not so if close to teens or above. Of course so much of this is discretionary to the maitre’d.

10 and 7. Not a huge deal one way or another, I'm just trying to figure what to pack. I don't want to pack too many long pants since it is the summer in the middle of the Caribbean and the other thread indicated the Caribbean Princess doesn't seem to cool all that well.

YES!!!!!....I have seen this with my own eyes.....the wait staff carries people wearing Tux's to their tables.....they do not want the passenger's feet to touch the carpet because they are so SPECIAL!!! :):D;p

They always want to carry my wine in the water glasses from the cabin and we don't even even dress up. :cool:

Can you imagine what they would do if I did dress up?

According to Princess, shorts are NOT allowed in MDRs for dinner. Polos are fine.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

That depends on the ship. Some Princess ships don't seem to mind shorts in the DR while others frown upon them.

I go by what I see others getting away with.

If I see shorts are OK, I'll wear my good dress shorts the next night with a polo.

If not, I revert to my unpressed raggedy jeans that don't have holes.

That's the important part- the holes. Anything else seems to suffice.

Sorry, shorts at night in the MDR & specialty rest. are NOT allowed. They are fine in the buffet. Same goes for children. If you wish to test the Maître D's resolve, go for it, but be prepared to be denied entry. Read the Princess web site & get the info.

No. I think every one's pretty much treated the same. I'd say it's better treatment for those in suites(staff hoping for bigger tips)that might be the only difference.