First time cruising in 1 WEEK!!! Any words of wisdom?

parkesyau

To say I am excited is an understatement!!!! In just under 4 days we will be making the long trek from “ down under” to one of my fav country in the world 🇺🇸

I’m certain I was American in a former life!!

I have been planning this cruise since joining cruise critic in 2015 and what originally starred at a Disney cruise in 2016( a few hiccups caused us to postpone) has ended up with a Carnival Glory cruise in 1 WEEK! I can’t believe it!!! 1 week I will be sitting on the Glory( well it’s Saturday night here now so I may be a little ahead)

I am nervous I am scared I am excited!!! I certainly will be writing a long and detailed trip report so keep an eye out( will depend on internet)

So now I want you hints and tips and anything else you can advice!!

I have my zip lock bags, my documents, kids have their goggles, they are registered for kids club ( 9 and 7) I have cheers package, faster to the fun, upgraded to a balcony room, I have sea sick tablets, wrist bands(seriously as if this works). We have souvenirs for Jack at Jacks Shack onGT, we rented a golf cart, we have a taxi for St Thomas ( Coki or sapphire I still can’t decidw and losing sleep over it) I have my saving money for a tanzanite ring( happy anniversary to me) for Puerto Rico and a walking map.

Now I want any last minute

Must see shows on board? Comedy acts? Bars to hang out at for live music? Are we really going to struggle to get chairs on sea day? When does Cheers begin as soon as we step on board? How elegant is elegant night does shirt and slacks count?

I know the internet is bad should I still try and buy the package?(husband needs to check work emails before his client goes into meltdown)

I have an AT&T prepaid card so dock days in PR and St T should be ok?

I don’t think I’ll sleep for the next week! I can’t wait! I have never been so excited!!

Look out for my trip report...I’m sure I’ll have some stories to share

First of all, congrats on the first cruise! And let me wish you an early welcome to “up over” (opposite of down under). Ok ok, bad joke, please cut me some slack, it’s nearly 5am here and I’ve got a bit of insomnia going on. :p

Have a look at the first few pages of these Carnival boards. There’s quite a few threads covering a bunch of tips, including one titled Tips & Secrets 2018, something like that. And there’s a link in that thread to an older tips thread that has a ton of info. Some of it’s old and doesn’t apply anymore, but a majority of it is still useful.

We’re taking our second cruise in June aboard the Glory and it sounds like you have the same itinerary as we do. We were on the Conquest two years ago, which is Glory’s sister ship, so we’ll be familiar with the layout. Explore the ship, learn your way around. Tip: not all elevators go to the same decks.

All the ports will be new to us, except GT. We loved it there and our son had said back then that if we ever cruised again, we had to go back, so we are. :D If you’re interested in snorkeling, Grand Turk is the place to do it! If you go by yourselves (not on an excursion) go to the right of the pier (south). Nearly everyone gathers on the beach to the left of the pier, in front of Margaritaville. To the south is much, much less crowded (less than 10 of us when we were there) if you’d just like to do some snorkeling.

In San Juan, we’ve decided to visit the two forts (I think $7 gets you into both). As well as the Cathedral of San Juan Bautista to see the tomb of Ponce de León. Evidently he didn’t find the fountain of youth. ;p There’s a free trolley system that runs all around Old San Juan, so take advantage of that if you’d like. There are a couple stops right by the cruise port. I’ve saved a trolley route map that I found online (just Google San Juan trolley map). Tip: go to the stop to the left of the port (stop #14). Everyone gets on at stop #1, so 14 is usually less crowded. By the way, I research our vacations like there’s no tomorrow, can you tell? LOL

I believe San Juan and St. Thomas are covered under American cellular plans since they’re our territories, but I’m not sure how it works with your AT&T card. You might want to call and ask them.

If you like rock music, for us, Epic Rock is a must-see on board the ship (if available). A lot of people who have cruised for a long time and remember the old shows aren’t fond of Carnival’s Playlist Productions (their current stage shows), but we absolutely loved Epic Rock. We hope it’s playing again when we go. That and the 80’s show...huge 80’s music fan here.

The only other thing I can think of right now is to suggest not to worry about your cruise review while on board. It’s your first cruise, enjoy it to its fullest! :) The detail of some of the reviews on here sometimes makes me wonder if they found any time to enjoy their cruise. So be sure to do this one for you & your family, not for Cruise Critic.

We still have two months to go so it’s getting harder and harder to contain our excitement. Especially when I keep reading about everyone who’s going before us. LOL Have a great time!

Most importantly...............Have Fun!

My favorite tip I have gotten here is to take a piece of luggage after unpacking and set it upright. Zip almost all the way leaving the top zipper part open. You now have a dirty hamper and it's already packed.

I'll try to answer a few questions for you in red.

quote=parkesyau;55769111]To say I am excited is an understatement!!!! In just under 4 days we will be making the long trek from “ down under” to one of my fav country in the world ����

I’m certain I was American in a former life!!

I have been planning this cruise since joining cruise critic in 2015 and what originally starred at a Disney cruise in 2016( a few hiccups caused us to postpone) has ended up with a Carnival Glory cruise in 1 WEEK! I can’t believe it!!! 1 week I will be sitting on the Glory( well it’s Saturday night here now so I may be a little ahead)

I am nervous I am scared I am excited!!! I certainly will be writing a long and detailed trip report so keep an eye out( will depend on internet)

So now I want you hints and tips and anything else you can advice!!

I have my zip lock bags, my documents, kids have their goggles, they are registered for kids club ( 9 and 7) I have cheers package, faster to the fun, upgraded to a balcony room, I have sea sick tablets, wrist bands(seriously as if this works). You may not even need these unless you know you get motion sickness on land. We have souvenirs for Jack at Jacks Shack onGT, Make sure you see "Topher", Jack's sand digging dog. He's a riot to watch. we rented a golf cart, we have a taxi for St Thomas ( Coki or sapphire I still can’t decidw and losing sleep over it) I have my saving money for a tanzanite ring( happy anniversary to me) for Puerto Rico and a walking map.

Now I want any last minute

Must see shows on board? Comedy acts? There are two comedy shows - early and late. Late is adults only and you will hear some rough language. Bars to hang out at for live music? Are we really going to struggle to get chairs on sea day? As long as you don't need to be right by a pool, you can find chairs all over the ship. When does Cheers begin as soon as we step on board? How elegant is elegant night does shirt and slacks count? You will see everything from tuxedos to collared shirts and slacks. They are fine.

I know the internet is bad should I still try and buy the package?(husband needs to check work emails before his client goes into meltdown)

I have an AT&T prepaid card so dock days in PR and St T should be ok?

I don’t think I’ll sleep for the next week! I can’t wait! I have never been so excited!!

Look out for my trip report...I’m sure I’ll have some stories to share

Keep anything of value in your carry-on luggage. (Meds, jewelry, cameras, etc.) Have a bunch of single and five dollar bills for tipping. Tipping anyone that gives you a service is a custom in the US. (Luggage handlers, tour guides, room service delivery person, etc.) Luggage handlers get one dollar a bag from most people. Tour guides, depends on how good they were. For a family of four probably between $10-20.

Ice tea, coffee and lemonade is free in the Lido Buffet 24/7 along with self serve ice cream. A lot of people bring along insulated cups. Keeps their coffee hot in morning and cold drinks cold during the day.

Pack an emergency kit. Aspirin, bandages, sun screen lotion, etc. The ship's store has these things but they are extremely expensive. Take advantage of the laundry service. For $15 you can get a bag full of laundry done. Roll the clothes as tight as you can get them and pack them in the bag that will be in the desk drawer. Your cabin steward will pick it up and take it to the laundry. Usually it will be returned later than same night all clean and folded.

Store your luggage under the beds. If the frame gets in the way, lift the bed and slide it under. Sometimes one will fit inside of a larger one. There will be countless opportunities to have your picture taken. The good thing is that you can stop and have them taken at all of the different backdrops but you don't have to buy any of them if you don't want to. The more you cruise, the less you buy of them. Learn real quick how to say "No Thanks" for both on the ship and on the islands.

The best advice I can give any first time cruisers is don't over plan. Plans have been ruined because a ship didn't make a port because of anything from bad weather to mechanical difficulties. Go with little expectations and whatever happens will be a new experience. Good luck and enjoy your cruise. By the way, welcome to the US.

Edited by RWolver672

There's something extra special about the first cruise. I envy you.

My only advice is don't try to do everything. Don't try to plan every activity every day. If you miss trivia on Tuesday they will have it again on Wednesday.

Take some time just to relax, walk the ship, go to the forward decks, and people watching in the Atrium is fun. Order more than one appetizer for dinner.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise. Don’t sweat the small stuff. Just having a good time and enjoy the your moments together. Make sure you are nice to the staff. The nicer you are to them, the nicer they will be to you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First don’t sweat the small stuff like long buffet lines or chair hogs lol. I think that people don’t wear their seasick bands correctly and they think they don’t work. I wear them every cruise and don’t have any problems it’s all about placement. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Spend some time doing nothing at all except watching the sea go by. Either from your balcony if you have one or from a quiet area on a deck somewhere. Of all the things you can do aboard a ship, this is one of the very few things you truly can not do anywhere else.

Go to the MDR for dinner it is included, also you can order multiple apps, entrees, and desserts included as well. I didn’t realize this the first cruise I had so it’s a good time to venture out and try new food. They also have Breakfast in the MDR.

Take some time to walk around the ship and get familiar with the layout some floors don’t go all the way through and it takes some time to get familiar. You can get around using the stairs much faster than the elevators.

Go to the comedy shows they are almost always great. As mentioned the adult shows do have foul language and adult content so if that is offending or you’re taking children opt for the family shows.

I haven’t been on the Glory but search on Carnival‘s website to see what dining options they have. If they have the pasta or barbecue place go there for lunch when you embark as many people don’t realize that is there and included in the price for lunch. It will be far less busy than guys or the buffet.

I hope you have a fabulous time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by kc58ab

The Glory is one of the ships that has "secret" decks. These are just outdoor observation decks on the very front of the ship that many people don't know about. To access the ones on Glory, go as far forwards as you can on decks 6, 7, & 10. There's doors on either side of the ship that lead out to these observation decks. There's always one on deck 5, but it has to be accessed outside from the deck 6 observation.

Many people will take something that gives them multiple electrical outlets. A power strip or a device with multiple USB charging ports. Just make sure that whatever it is, it IS NOT a surge protector. Surge protectors can harm the ship's electrical systems. If you choose to take something like this, make sure you buy the American style plug (not sure what Australia uses). We prefer a long extension cord (6-8 ft.) so we can move stuff around the cabin since there's only one outlet. That length cord allowed me to set my portable fan by the bed and was long enough for my wife to use her curling iron in the bathroom. We also took a 3-way outlet adapter (turns one outlet into three). Whatever you take, make sure it is new or in like new condition. I recommend people taking these kinds of things in their carry-on just in case terminal employees question them. If they're with you when you check-in, you have a change to argue your case if they try to take them away. Otherwise, if you put them in your checked luggage and they get confiscated, they'll leave a note in your cabin that your stuff is in the "naughty room" and you can get it at the end of the cruise. If that does happen, I think you can ask to speak with security to see why it was taken.

In regards to the refrigerator in your cabin, if you feel like it isn't cooling things enough, open the cabinet door. The mini-fridge is inside a wooden cabinet with a door on it. The vents cut into the side of this cabinet sometimes don't provide enough circulation and it gets very warm in there, so the fridge has a hard time keeping up. Opening the wooden door to the cabinet allows the fridge to cool easier.

Looks like you're on a great eastern itinerary. As others have said, don't sweat the small stuff and don't try to do everything. Your new American friends will immediately sense your accent and want to talk to you about 'your' exotic country. We're all interested in what we haven't experienced.

I not mad because its your first cruise but I am jealous, because the first time is always the best anyways, here are my tips.

1. I know you have cheers but did you know everything is included, even milk shakes, bottled waters, specialty coffees ;p.
  2. There is a observation deck in forward end of the ship. Different ships different place ie; deck, door. Cool views, but very windy if you are at sea so hang on to your hat.
  3. :confused:
  4. They have lunch also in the MDR sometimes even on embarkation days, instead of the huge crowds at the buffet. If not the MDR there are other venues that are open for lunch on embarkation days, even though some are pay extra at dinner time they are free at lunch time, you will need to check different ships, different venues. This beats standing in a huge line at the buffet and plus trying to find a seat carrying your food and drink around, not good.
  5. They have a tea time in one of the MDRs it is tea (of course) and small snacks like sandwiches; egg salad, ham & cheese, ect... and not sure about Carnival, but on Princess cruises they had a variety of Scones (British pastry things), yummy:p.
  6. :confused:
  7. Oh yeah if you book the steak house for the first night of the cruise you get a free bottle of wine (I hear they are not that good? A choice between a Red/White). However, if the free bottles are not to your liking's then you can get ANY bottle of wine half off. One guy I read on here said him and his wife gets a $300 bottle of wine for $150, in which he claims is a great deal for the kind of wine he gets. For me, I HATE WINE, bring me a beer:cool:.
  8. They do a behind the scenes tour of the ship. This tour does cost although I have never done I hear it is worth the price (which I cannot remember what people said it cost). I also heard it fills up fast so you need to book this when you board the ship to secure your spot(s).
  9. I know someone already said you can order extra anything in the MDR, but did you know that you can get an appetizer in a dinner portion, and or a dinner in an appetizer portion. Also YOU (even though you are 21 yrs old) can order from the kids menu, although I have never had I hear the Spaghetti is awesome off the kid menu.

These are a few things, just remember though if you think of something you want to do or eat just ask the worst thing they will say is NO or tell you it cost extra.

HAVE FUN:hearteyes:!

Expect the unexpected. Go with the flow. A cruise is an adventure. Don’t sweat the small stuff you can’t control, and just have fun! Oh, and start researching your second cruise now, because you WILL become addicted. [emoji6]

Our first cruise we went through a hurricane (rough seas and all), and still got addicted. If you plan now when you get on board they have a place to purchase other cruises. When you do this on board they will give you extras such as; OBC:hearteyes:.

If none of the desserts appeal in the MDR you can order the banana split from the kids menu!

If you enjoy cooking, attend the cooking demonstration in the steakhouse. Very fun and you get samples.

If you have had too much sun, go play trivia or sometimes there is a craft class. That is great for all ages.

Don't feel like you have to do everything. Find some time for a quiet sit to watch the sea go by. Very relaxing.

Also, you can use the showers and stream rooms in the spa area without having a spa pass.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise we went through a hurricane (rough seas and all), and still got addicted.

Same here actually! We were in the gulf when hurricane Patricia had just hit Mexico and the sea were rough. That first night and morning were the roughest seas we have ever been through, but it was exciting as heck. I knew I was hooked right then and there. [emoji4]

There's something extra special about the first cruise. I envy you.

My only advice is don't try to do everything. Don't try to plan every activity every day. If you miss trivia on Tuesday they will have it again on Wednesday.

Take some time just to relax, walk the ship, go to the forward decks, and people watching in the Atrium is fun. Order more than one appetizer for dinner.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

Was coming on here to say this. Our first cruise, we literally ran around from event to event trying to do EVERYTHING that looked remotely interesting. By the last day we were exhausted. The second cruise we would just choose 1 event that looked fun and the rest of the time was open ended. Wander around the ship. Go on an excursion. Even if you don't go on an excursion per se, I would suggest taking the tinder to port to just walk around to see the area a bit. We had a much better time when we did not try to over plan things.

My biggest advice? Have fun!

There's no need to know "tips and tricks". There's nothing you need to research and bring, that you wouldn't bring in any other vacation.

The truth is, cruising is addicting. That's why so many people are here to discuss it.