This is crazy

Drill2dk

I am someone who works in the tourist industry and was hit by Irma. I live in florida and we did not have as much damage but it was more than enough. Many without power for over a week. A coworker actually told me that he had to sleep out side on a bench for over a week because of the heat ( only in the high 80s over night outside). Others I know had to stay at hotels and that cost an arm and a leg. Others with flooding and roofs ripped off and more. I was lucky compared to most I only had damage to my car and a tree on the roof. Here in florida 100,000s of people depend on tourist for a living. Many tourist businesses pay by the hour. So employees lost wages while the bussiness was closed. So I think royal is making the right choice. We all want to rebuild but we can not do it without the tourist. And while I do appreciete that you think donations are key I disagree. Those donations will not sustain bussinesses and livlihoods but customers can.

If my house was destroyed, I would not want to have you over for dinner.

Your attitude might be different if you had no job and everyone visiting your house was willing to pay you $50.

These islands need tourism - The governments are saying they're ready so the best thing to do is go.

Let's look at the simple problem and solution.

Let's say you own an ice cream shop in St. Martin. You make a little bit of money from the locals and it helps to pay your bills but the majority of your income is from tourists.

There is a hurricane and your roof is damaged and you have no power and lose all your inventory. You take what little money you have saved up to buy a generator. Your family and friends help to make minimal repairs to the roof but a lot still needs to be replaced and repaired. It's just enough so you can open the doors to your little shop.

But no one is coming. Granted it's not as nice as what it was before the storm and on top of that the locals now have no money and you have spent every last penny you have making your shop operable.

The cost for operating is now more expensive. (product is not as available as before the damages, you have to pay for fuel for electricity, you need help but don't have enough business to pay for the help)

The only way to continue operations is to have customers. Soccergirl does not wish to be one of these customers. Why? Because it's unsafe (roof still needs repair) and it's not up to spec for tourism (buildings looks damaged and streets are not as clean and tidy as before the storm).

Say what you want but these Islands are not mining gold, building electronic circuit boards or farming large crops for export.

Their number one resource for income is tourist dollars. So put your money where your mouth is, go on a cruise and put some money back into the island economy and help these people get back on their feet.

It's not like the USA where they are getting some check from the government or conglomerate insurance agency to put their lives back together. They need to work for their dollars. And if that work is tourism then be a tourist and help them out.

-Sean

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

By February or March "We will have a very nice tourism product to offer to our visitors. This is quote from the tourism minister of the island in Tavel weekly. So why is RCL going back in December?

So more people can have a merry Christmas and a happy New Year.

I want to do a survey who think its right to go to theses islands so soon after the hurricane. Is it also right for RCL not to give us a choice. If you agree with me tell me and call RCL cooperation at 305-539-6455.

Let me hear it for those that agree.

PS lets keep it friendly

I am not booked and would go if I had a cruise scheduled. Now that I participated in the thread and am not booked, do I go to jail or pay a fine? I certainly will be watching port reports and reviews.

We are going to St. Thomas and St. Maarten on one ship and to St. Maarten and San Juan on a second cruise in early January. We will be happy to visit these ports, spend money on shore and donate to the relief efforts on these islands.

This "poll" seems to be fishing for people who put their own comforts and needs above the unfortunate victims of these hurricanes on these affected islands.

GET OVER IT and think about others for a change

I would prefer to go to other stops - but not because of Hurricane damage, just because I like them better. That said, a friend picked this itinerary and we booked to spend time with them. We booked for the ship, but we all plan to get off at the ports to do what we can to help bring these islands back to life. We expect to have a wonderful time regardless of how recovered (or not) they are.

I wish we could book a cruise to St. Maartin for December! We would love to visit the island and help out the economy. And yes, we've made donations to several groups there but we both feel spending tourist dollars would be helpful.

Plus,even if someone decides not to get off the ship, the port fees paid for each passenger may help with repairs to the infrastructure.

So, basically, as long as the island says they are ready, I say there is no reason not to go!:D

Sherri:)

I want to do a survey who think its right to go to theses islands so soon after the hurricane. Is it also right for RCL not to give us a choice. If you agree with me tell me and call RCL cooperation at 305-539-6455.

Let me hear it for those that agree.

PS lets keep it friendly

1. Why is it not right to go? Hurricanes happen every year.

2. Tourism is an important part and income for many people on these islands. Without it, they suffer more.

3. Are you afraid to see some damage? Because if so, why are you going to the Caribbean? Most islands are in poorer repair than in the US.

4. You have a choice, you booked it, so that was your choice. You can also cancel it, and pay the penalty outlined in your contract. The choice is yours. No one is stopping you.

Yes, I am booked in December. Yes, I am going to affected islands and Yes, I think it is a good idea. Most of these islands earn the majority of their money from tourism and they need the ships back (since many of the hotels will take much longer to fix).

Tourist dollars are just as important as relief efforts. Take your cruise and spend your money there to provide their income, and donate a little extra on top of that to help out fellow Americans, because Puerto Ricans are Americans and it's our patriotic duty to help them with our tourism, volunteering, and donations to relief efforts. Every little bit helps.

"Im supposed to go on a cruise in the beginning of December. When I did final deposit they had substituted st Martin and Puerto Rico for other islands"

Hurricane Maria struck Sept. 20 in PR. Final payment would have been in early September. No substitutions would have been done, as the storm did not even exist.

Accurate. We are cruising December 2nd - they never at any point announced any substitutions for our cruise. And the hurricanes had not even started forming yet when our final payment was due. :confused:

So many replies already that I can't read them all so apologies if I am repeating...

1. RC couldn't return if the ports weren't open. So seems like they are being invited back. The local governments wouldn't open the ports if they weren't ready or needing the revenue.

2. I have read about offers of "humanitarian cruises", so perhaps you could transfer to one of those?

3. I have also heard mention of "humanitarian shore excursions", so perhaps that is worth looking into? If one is not already organized, try your roll call, try your local church to see if they have any contacts, or pick a church on the island you are visiting and see how you can help.

By February or March "We will have a very nice tourism product to offer to our visitors. This is quote from the tourism minister of the island in Tavel weekly. So why is RCL going back in December?

He also said this in the same article

"We are open now but visitors have to realize we have come through an enormous, powerful storm and the island is in the midst of recovery. Those who have been to St. Maarten before will certainly see a difference, but we are well on our way toward full recovery. I see progress from one day to the next," Arrindell-Doncher said.

There is no way Royal would have been allowed to return if they were't ready. The island authorities decide when to allow ships back, not Royal

The local governments wouldn't open the ports if they weren't ready or needing the revenue.

There's a big difference between the two. I don't necessarily trust the local governments to be 100% honest about the safety of the passengers. I like seeing the videos of the recovery, but let us see what HASN'T begun to recover. I realize a lot can change between now and the end of December, but the idea of being able to go to a beach, but NOT go in the water? That's now how I want to spend my hard earned vacation. I'm more than happy to spend my money there, but only when the island is truly ready for THOUSANDS of passengers at once. I would prefer they replace the ports and let the cruise lines help finance the islands recovery, before the ships return.

That being said, anyone know how the Belgian Chocolate Box fared?

Honestly, I think the posters here are more concerned with their vacations “tainted” by damaged ports than they are about the people who live there.

They need to rebuild, and part of that is keeping thier livelihoods intact.

Thank you for saying it. I feel exactly the same way, but was afraid to post such statement knowing all the attacks to follow. It is absolutely sounds this way to me from people's posts. All the concerns about island not being ready for reception of tourists appear to be from the perspective of tourists not being able to receive expected experience from the trip. At the same time, due to such concerns RCCL should give it's clients opportunity to change to different sailing.

There's a big difference between the two. I don't necessarily trust the local governments to be 100% honest about the safety of the passengers.

That being said, anyone know how the Belgian Chocolate Box fared?

What sort of lack of safety are you worried about?

On our cruise last December the owner at the kiosk right at the port told us she was leaving st m and selling her business. Fwiw.