This is crazy

Drill2dk

Ok I need some help fromthose of you "in the know" -please let me know which businesses in StMaarten and San Juan are up and running and ready for business. It seemsthat our Allure Nov 12 cruise may not alter the itinerary (hopefully we findout for certain today). I have two teenagers to take to these ports and Ihave no idea where to go or what to do. I don't want to buy a shipexcursion, I’d rather all my money go directly into the economy. I have lookedall through the news and I can't find much. It seems that part of Simpsonbay is ok for swimming. They are working on Great Bay beach right now (Ithink that’s what I saw). If it were just my husband and I, we could justshop and eat...but I want an activity for the kids and I don't know where tostart. So, if you know of a business that is ready for us please postit. Thank you very much.

Because there can't possibly me more than one person who doesn't want to go to damaged islands? Really? LOL :rolleyes:
Because we all know no one creates multiple identities on the internet. [emoji849] There were actually plenty more but just two that seemed too similar.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Fascinating back and forth.... with D2 posting at 8:01, again at 8:03, then SG at 8:04 then D2 at 8:05 then SG at 8:06.

Almost like two different devices logged in..... I always miss peoples posts that occur when I make a post... yet these two completely different people followed each other's conversations perfectly.

I think Big G is 100% spot on.

Then add in RR...

JC

You forgot to include Ugly in your list.😀

Because we all know no one creates multiple identities on the internet. [emoji849] There were actually plenty more but just two that seemed too similar.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Even though I saw all of the old posts, after last night's conversation, I tend to think you are right.

You forgot to include Ugly in your list.😀

Excellent catch.... back in the old days they were more diligent on checking IP addresses not that I would know that from personal experience.:eek:

Maybe they didn't give Bob the keys to all of the Ferrari....:evilsmile:

JC

I love the people who aren't even set to travel to these islands in the next month or two are supporting "the cause" hahahaha

And the woman who is (supposedly) trying to book "an extra" cruise to just so she can "help" out. Load of crap. Donate the money lady, don't pretend you're making an ultimate "sacrifice" by booking an extra cruise just to help :rolleyes:

You can definitely tell the old geezers are posting away because, in retirement, you don't have a limited two weeks of vacation a year, or a business to run that you want to take a break from and enjoy yourself, not pretend to be saintly or FEMA workers.

What's with the name calling?

You can definitely tell the old geezers are posting away because, in retirement, you don't have a limited two weeks of vacation a year, or a business to run that you want to take a break from and enjoy yourself, not pretend to be saintly or FEMA workers.

Hey, look now. I am posting from work instead of doing my job. Don't slander me!

The OP wants to get out of his cruise without penalty. Period. His motives are not pure, and neither are anyone else's. Which is fine. We're all like that. He's not going to be able to, probably, because his argument is full of holes. And that might provide some measure of pleasure for those of us who read the boards regularly.

Ok I need some help fromthose of you "in the know" -please let me know which businesses in StMaarten and San Juan are up and running and ready for business. It seemsthat our Allure Nov 12 cruise may not alter the itinerary (hopefully we findout for certain today). I have two teenagers to take to these ports and Ihave no idea where to go or what to do. I don't want to buy a shipexcursion, I’d rather all my money go directly into the economy. I have lookedall through the news and I can't find much. It seems that part of Simpsonbay is ok for swimming. They are working on Great Bay beach right now (Ithink that’s what I saw). If it were just my husband and I, we could justshop and eat...but I want an activity for the kids and I don't know where tostart. So, if you know of a business that is ready for us please postit. Thank you very much.

I too would check trip advisor. Read reviews as your cruise gets closer and contact the companies directly. I have always had excellent luck with the independent tour companies just do your due diligence.

:(

I'm reading it the same way, and I still stand behind my belief that the island is NOT ready for the massive influx of passengers the cruise ships bring.

This thread has gotten to the point where I'm struggling to keep up with who is for ships going back to the island and who is against it. However, it would be nice if everyone would recognize that each of us is entitled to our personal beliefs. You may not agree with someone, but you don't have the right to tell them their belief is wrong.

I got attacked in my own thread, Told my family was " looking for a handout" and that Royal Carib doesn't "print money" -- all because we put our final deposit down on the day of the hurricane, bought trip insurance, were misled by the seller of the insurance (which has since been refunded.) I believe under the circumstances, they should be allowing customers to use these lost funds on a future cruise. My aft balcony cabin sold for $1800 more than we paid a year ago. So RC made a profit. They lost nothing.

It went on and on, nothing but nasty accusations and comments by people who weren't even traveling to San Juan in the near future! So I got nasty. And the thread was deleted. And then

I cancelled, lost money, booked Disney, and SO thankful I did before the 50% phase. I see now they're dragging customers to islands that are not ready, where the tourists don't know what they're up for, and will be walking in as donating money bags --

Favorite comment so far? Woman who said smugly, Just stay on the ship if you are afraid to go to the islands. Because everyone cruises the Caribbean to stay on the ship and stare at the buffet.

Edited by uglybutgoodbakery

I'm reading it the same way, and I still stand behind my belief that the island is NOT ready for the massive influx of passengers the cruise ships bring.

This thread has gotten to the point where I'm struggling to keep up with who is for ships going back to the island and who is against it. However, it would be nice if everyone would recognize that each of us is entitled to our personal beliefs. You may not agree with someone, but you don't have the right to tell them their belief is wrong.

Everyone has the right to tell anyone anything they want. Most people know that just because someone tells you "You're wrong", it doesn't necessarily mean that you're wrong. It's their opinion. Just like now, you're saying people don't have the right to tell someone their belief is wrong (which is their personal belief) and I'm saying they do. We have different opinions. You aren't right because you said so, and I'm not right because I said so.

Isn't tourism a huge source of income for these places??? I think it's a good thing to try and get things back with business for them and to bring in money. And to think Royal is cruel? They were one of the first to stop there right after the hurricane to help out.

Everyone has the right to tell anyone anything they want. Most people know that just because someone tells you "You're wrong", it doesn't necessarily mean that you're wrong. It's their opinion. Just like now, you're saying people don't have the right to tell someone their belief is wrong (which is their personal belief) and I'm saying they do. We have different opinions. You aren't right because you said so, and I'm not right because I said so.

I guess "technically" you can't be wrong in your beliefs, right?

But this is basically a situation where the people on the islands are saying "Please come, we want to work" and some posters here are saying "I know you say you want to work, but it's my BELIEF that you don't actually want to and it's inappropriate for you to work. And since it's my belief, you can't tell me I'm wrong!"

It's kind of humorous.

Isn't tourism a huge source of income for these places??? I think it's a good thing to try and get things back with business for them and to bring in money. And to think Royal is cruel? They were one of the first to stop there right after the hurricane to help out.

Correct. And the islands are rebuilding like crazy so that the cruise ships will come back. The cruises aren't forcing their way back in. It's the opposite, the islands have to meet certain standards before the ships will come back. So if Royal is returning to these islands, it's because the people on the islands have busted their butts to get the business back and are desperately wanting tourists to return. These people want and need the work. The idea that it's cruel for Royal to bring tourists there is completely ridiculous.

My staff were freaking out when we were closed for 3 days after Irma in South Florida. Could you imagine 2+ months with no job or income for these people? If the ports are reopening, we need to be supporting the return of ships and much needed dollars to these communities.

It is sad that some have such a great difficulty in seeing the big picture. I don't really know either way what would be best but I don't think many people here know either. I'm going to throw in a few hypothetical situations in here:

- What if, the pressure from businesses who wish to have cruise ships in the port causes limited resources for construction workers to be diverted to repair tourist infrastructure and causes delays in rebuilding schools and medical facilities. Who makes that call.

- What if overly stretched law enforcement personnel have to be relocated to tourist locations to ensure safety for tourists, but leave other islanders vulnerable to looting, crime and violence. Who makes that call.

- What if the landfills are overflowing and clearing out of debris is slowed down because the cruise ships are docked where other cargo ships have to wait it out.

There are hundreds of these possible situations that government and other officials must make those tough decisions and not many on this forum seem qualified.

On the other hand, perhaps having a cruise ship in port could provide help, such as supplying clean water, medical supplies, electrical power, perhaps even , crew medical staff could provide training to islanders to help with medical relief, and so on.

All these possibilities could go either way. Many people here are so sure of what they think is the right thing to do but refuse to look at the big picture.

Rant over.

dp

Edited by dpostman

It is sad that some have such a great difficulty in seeing the big picture. I don't really know either way what would be best but I don't think many people here know either. I'm going to throw in a few hypothetical situations in here:

- What if, the pressure from businesses who wish to have cruise ships in the port causes limited resources for construction workers to be diverted to repair tourist infrastructure and causes delays in rebuilding schools and medical facilities. Who makes that call.

- What if overly stretched law enforcement personnel have to be relocated to tourist locations to ensure safety for tourists, but leave other islanders vulnerable to looting, crime and violence. Who makes that call.

- What if the landfills are overflowing and clearing out of debris is slowed down because the cruise ships are docked where other cargo ships have to wait it out.

There are hundreds of these possible situations that government and other officials must make tough decisions and not many here seem qualified.

On the other hand, perhaps having a cruise ship in port could provide help, such as supplying clean water, medical supplies, electrical power, perhaps even , crew medical staff could provide training to islanders to help with medical relief, and so on.

All these possibilities could go either way. Many people here are so sure of what they think is the right thing to do but refuse to look at the big picture.

Rant over.

dp

These people have their own locally elected government. They are the ones making the decision to focus on the cruise port and jobs. That's the point and all that matters, really. Who are we to tell people not to go back to work or how to handle their affairs? I can't see it from any other way, these are grown adults making their own decisions. They want cruises back and did the work to get the cruises back. Who are we to argue with that?

These people have their own locally elected government. They are the ones making the decision to focus on the cruise port and jobs. That's the point and all that matters, really. Who are we to tell people not to go back to work or how to handle their affairs? I can't see it from any other way, these are grown adults making their own decisions. They want cruises back and did the work to get the cruises back. Who are we to argue with that?

I corrected/edited a bit of my text. I did not want to imply that the government or officials there were not qualified. I meant people on this forum were not qualified.

English is my second language so please forgive me if it is vague sometimes.

dp

This is a pic of the main boardwalk at downtown beach. Is it as pretty as before Irma, well no. Does it look like it is ready for tourists, to me it does. Obviously there will be parts of the island that will be piles of debris but Fort Lauderdale had piles of debris on the side of the road 3 weeks after Irma and it was barely touched compared to some of the Islands.

2cf88af2c766d25bfa4c60914e227f00.jpg

This is a pic of the main boardwalk at downtown beach. Is it as pretty as before Irma, well no. Does it look like it is ready for tourists, to me it does. Obviously there will be parts of the island that will be piles of debris but Fort Lauderdale had piles of debris on the side of the road 3 weeks after Irma and it was barely touched compared to some of the Islands.

We still have piles of debris in our neighborhood. :D

That seems nice. Would love to be in that Jeep on the right ;p

dp

Yep us too. Our roof was just repaired this morning and we're one of the first in the neighborhood to have ours done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I ended up just paying my landscaper to remove our debris. But we still have 10+ foot piles of it all over the neighborhood. Glad your roof is buttoned up. I had to fix one of my rentals roofs and the guy was so behind, he was still able to get it done last month though.

I don't remember these issues with debris during Wilma.

A few other comparisons from a FB page that I follow. You will obviously see some devastation, but honestly they were hit with a Class 5 Hurricane. By the sounds of it people in a Florida still have debris to be cleaned up too.

cf2de1deca0bb141a958f273c8e1d891.jpg

ec611a8b6ed8581e96340361430ecefe.jpg

fbbd06f80166ecefb54af50c626e3ad6.jpg

02c9aa06cf49edc7f6d9b49b1d4231fa.jpg

fbe57542ca8c50361eab55694d2fa1fe.jpg