Hi

This may sound like a silly question ..... but here goes .

i am going on my first cruise in three weeks and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a weight limit for my cases , we go from Newcastle port .

And do you advice to take a backpack for a few items for once on board in case the luggage is delayed arriving to our cabin..... oh so much to think about

Many thanks for any help or advice

Your cruise line FAQ should outline this but the general rule appears to be 50 pounds per suitcase. The FAQ will contain a wealth of information specific to your cruise line and I highly recommend that you browse that section of their website.

Definitely want a small separate backpack/suitcase because there are things that should never go in your checked luggage, like documentation and meds. And yes, you may want to get out of your traveling clothes and into something more suitable for your embarkation day.

As for weight limit, if you are not flying, I don't if there is any. But if you are worried about a weight limit then you are probably packing too many clothes. Less is better. :D

Most cruise lines state 200lbs per person....but who would need THAT much stuff? Just try to keep each case where it's "Liftable", for the porters and baggage handlers!

Do NOT check anything of value...ever! Keep those items with you. Lock your checked bags.

Check the website for your cruiseline, but every line we have sailed on has a limit of 50 pounds per suitcase. I love my little luggage scale that also travels with me. And absolutely bring a carryon size suitcase or backpack with you. This is for your documents, medications, electronics, jewellery, and any other item of value. Many people will include a change of clothes in case your checked bags are delivered late.

Definitely suggest checking with your cruiseline. Also note you are sailing from UK, which might be different.

Have sailed primarily RC. They have a weight limit of 200 pounds per person. Normally fly to ports therefore use the airline's weight restrictions of 50 or 70 pounds.

Carryon should contain any valuables, electronics, meds, etc.:rolleyes:

The cruise lines are all different regarding luggage policies. We have never experienced any restrictions, but some do limit the max weight of any case, while some limit the number of cases, based on length of the cruise.

Since I am not aware of any cruise line that stores your empty cases these days, the determining factor is how many cases can you store under the bed and how much space in the cabin to store stuff.

Message before this is good. You put your luggage out to be picked up the last night. So, you have to have someplace to carry off, with you, when you leave the ship, what you slept in, and bathroom stuff, medicines. --Everything not put in your luggage.

When you get on AND off the ship, don't check or put in suitcases important papers, boarding passes, passports (BC"S), medicines. They should all go in a backpack or something you carry on the ship when you arrive, and carry off the ship when you leave.

Watch out, you will give serious thought to booking your next cruise before you get off!

If you're with Fred Olsen, you can take 90kg worth of luggage, but they suggest that each individual piece doesn't weigh more than 20kg... so that's quite a few suitcases! :)

It's mainly because of the staff lifting cases from the terminal etc, or coach drivers for those who are coming by bus.

You'll need some hand luggage, mainly because it's safer to carry any valuables, medicines etc, and your passport, tickets etc need to be with you when you check in at the desk (your main luggage will already have gone by then, and there's stories of people's passports being deep in the hold somewhere in a suitcase :O). My husband prefers a back pack; I have a very large shoulder bag with lots of pockets, for carry-ons.

All cruise lines we've been with from the UK seem to have the same weight, because of staff handling, so I'd go by the same rule if you're on C&M or Thomson/Marella out of N/C

The check in desk is inside the ferry terminal, so make sure you look for your cruise line's desks- it's fairly obvious, but there might be a rush for the ferry(don't want you ending up in Belgium! :D ).

We take a drink and a small snack, although there's facilities in the terminal.

How exciting- where are you going? We're back in N/C this summer for Iceland.

Enjoy the planning...:)

Edit: I see you're with Marella... Thomson/Marella always used to say 23kg per item, but that's because of flying...but you're not on a fly cruise, so you can take more cases, but I wouldn't make them any heavier.

Edited by jocap
Addition.

Hi

i am going on my first cruise in three weeks and i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a weight limit for my cases , we go from Newcastle port .

And do you advice to take a backpack for a few items for once on board in case the luggage is delayed arriving to our cabin..... oh so much to think about

Many thanks for any help or advice

Try to keep the weight to under 22 kilos

The cruise lines are all different regarding luggage policies. We have never experienced any restrictions, but some do limit the max weight of any case, while some limit the number of cases, based on length of the cruise.

Since I am not aware of any cruise line that stores your empty cases these days, the determining factor is how many cases can you store under the bed and how much space in the cabin to store stuff.

For the past 100 years or so, ALL the major cruise lines will store your luggage away from your cabin. They don't advertise it, but you only need ask your cabin steward, and he will take care of them for you. He will return the cases to you on the final afternoon/evening of the cruise.

The 11 cruise line companies I have worked for never had the staff, time, or equipment ready to weigh your suitcases as they came onboard. Even if we did weigh them and they were too heavy, what could we be expected to do about it?

Although there may be one or two companies that do weigh them, I highly doubt it.

The 11 cruise line companies I have worked for never had the staff, time, or equipment ready to weigh your suitcases as they came onboard. Even if we did weigh them and they were too heavy, what could we be expected to do about it?

Although there may be one or two companies that do weigh them, I highly doubt it.

Charge an overweight fee like the airlines do. Cruise lines are missing out on a revenue stream here. (Okay, probably not since there's likely not enough overweight luggage being brought onboard to justify the manpower and expense for the equipment.)

Many thanks for lots of useful and valuable information, I am now a little wiser as to what i am allowed to take,

Great idea for a carry on or back pack for valuables and meds etc, We are off to Iceland in July aboard the Marella discovery , first cruise so i want to get it right and it is a mind field has it will be a mixture of all types of weather i'm sure .

We are booked into the Port car park . Does anyone know if this is within walking distance of the check in terminal and advice on what time we should aim to arrive.

Great site to ask questions even if they appear a little on the common sense side , but as a newbie it is a little scary too ..... but exciting ....;)

Many thanks for lots of useful and valuable information, I am now a little wiser as to what i am allowed to take,

Great idea for a carry on or back pack for valuables and meds etc, We are off to Iceland in July aboard the Marella discovery , first cruise so i want to get it right and it is a mind field has it will be a mixture of all types of weather i'm sure .

We are booked into the Port car park . Does anyone know if this is within walking distance of the check in terminal and advice on what time we should aim to arrive.

Great site to ask questions even if they appear a little on the common sense side , but as a newbie it is a little scary too ..... but exciting ....;)

I can't remember where the car park was, as we came by coach, but looking at the map, it's near the terminal. One of you will be able to unload the car, and the other drive into the car park. I don't even know if there's porters, as our luggage was dealt with by the coach driver, but there will at least be trolleys!

Time to embark will be on your tickets- or might already be in your cruise personal details, under a tab...

Hi

I know your basic question has been answered, but let me comment.... try to get beyond thinking about the “rules”, e.g. weight limits. Instead think about the process. Somebody is going to be lifting/carrying your many cases. Their life is filled with long hours at low pay. Have pity, don’t pack all of your heavy items in one case. My own target for my one suitcase is 30 lb. My backpack which nobody but me dare touch is at about 15 lbs. of camera gear.

Enjoy your cruising! It can be very addictive!

Stan