Snorkeling musts?

Chemist909

If you're "snorkeling", you will NOT be standing...you'll be swimming or floating....NEVER, EVER stand on coral...it kills it! If you aren't "into" snorkeling...no worries! Some are, some aren't...I HATE it! The water is clear enough in the Caribbean to not need to put your face in to see what's under you!

As far as the equipment...it's sanitized...just like your cutlery (forks, spoons, etc)....it's fine. NO ONE has ever gotten any disease from snorkel equipment.

I would bring water shoes regardless of activities. You never know what is going on and you cannot always see what's going on beneath you. ;) They are a good idea and if you end up not needing or using them, that's better than wishing you'd brought them. When we went on a kayak/snorkel excursion in one of the islands, I was glad to have my water shoes on for the transition from ship pier to kayak to actually snorkeling. We did not use fins so they were perfect in the water.

Water shoes are NOT needed for snorkeling. You might want them for walking on a beach, in town, to and from teh ship, etc. though they are not a must in the Caribbean. One piece of advice is to buy masks and snorkels (at a minimum) from a dive shop where they properly fit them. You will be glad that you did.

Hi!! We are in! First time to do Caribbean cruise. Since some excursions mentioned include snorkeling, is it advisable to bring water shoes? We are on our sixties. Any advice?

If you think you'll be snorkeling more than this one trip, I suggest that you invest in some basic items:

A mask that fits YOUR face (head to a dive shop to get some advice on fitting).

A snorkel that easily attaches to your mask strap (again, check a dive shop even if you ultimately buy online). Don't trust that borrowed ones are "sanitized."

A float vest (approx. $20 online) - essential for less-than-strong swimmers in certain ocean locations (e.g., when you may do a "drift snorkel" in strong current)

A pair of good, light weight "water shoes" (check at an REI store or online). They are essential for rocky bottoms and submerged items. And do know that currents may make it virtually impossible to avoid contact with coral, which is why you should also have a "rash guard" (just like surfers use - also inexpensive).

As for fins, use the ones supplied by the tour if there is current or you are a weak swimmer. If you've got wide feet, you may want to buy short travel fins.

All the advice above is good (mask, vest, snorkel). We just bought some full-face mask with snorkels and tried them in a friends pool--we love them! Also, for 'water shoes' I just wear my crocs. I leave them on when I swim/snorkel off beaches and wear them onto any snorkel excursions off a boat. Can use fins or just swim with them (but put the ankle strap around your ankle--they do float but can be washed away :) )

But, I like to snorkel and know not to stand on the coral. If you do, I suppose you could shred your crocs!

You will be wearing flippers to snorkel so if you have water shoes you leave them in the boat. You only need them to walk on hot sand or just to get to the snorkeling boat.

And in the Caribbean, you can see a few HUNDRED feet under water!

You will be wearing flippers to snorkel so if you have water shoes you leave them in the boat. You only need them to walk on hot sand or just to get to the snorkeling boat.

Not everyone wears flippers (unless essential- like for a "drift snorkel" in currents).

There are great lightweight, all purpose water shoes available (yes, you can wear them while snorkeling). Though not a good fit for wide feet, here's what most Hawaii lifeguards use:

3d2545e288930319429b47ed7bcbdc01.jpg

https://www.olukai.com/eleu-trainer.html

OP, I suggest you check with your excursion company to see what all is included. After reading these replies you may be thinking you need to rent or purchase a bunch of extra items when you don't have to at all. For instance, on our snorkeling excursion in Bonaire, we did not wear flippers/fins. They provided mask, snorkel, and floaty vest - no fins. So please check before you panic and/or buy things! :D:D:D

As far as the equipment...it's sanitized...just like your cutlery (forks, spoons, etc)....it's fine. NO ONE has ever gotten any disease from snorkel equipment.

Once more: some unthinking misinformation from CB, the Sage of Fredericksburg.

“Sanitized” does not mean just rinsed in a bucket of water - even if a little Clorox was added to it - which is what must snorkel rentals involve.

Has any Public Health Service confirmed that “...NO ONE has ever gotten any disease...”?

One other thing that flew by my stupid brain when going on our first snorkeling trip. If you wear glasses for distance, you'll be blind wearing a generic mask. On our first trip, they actually had generally graded prescription masks, so they worked, but we were up the creek the next time ("if you had contacted the company before"). Our bad. If you need glasses to see, you need a prescription mask. (Which can be done if you're going to snorkel lots - dive shops can do it!)

If you're "snorkeling", you will NOT be standing...you'll be swimming or floating....NEVER, EVER stand on coral...it kills it! If you aren't "into" snorkeling...no worries! Some are, some aren't...I HATE it! The water is clear enough in the Caribbean to not need to put your face in to see what's under you!

Heck, salt water alone is pretty good at sanitizing most mouth germs.

It depends on the type of fins.

My fins are designed for the wearing of a shoe or booty.

Once more: some unthinking misinformation from CB, the Sage of Fredericksburg.

“Sanitized” does not mean just rinsed in a bucket of water - even if a little Clorox was added to it - which is what must snorkel rentals involve.

Has any Public Health Service confirmed that “...NO ONE has ever gotten any disease...”?

Water with a bit of clorox in it is the standard disinfecting solution used in many places, such as hospitals and microbiology labs. 3% clorox in water (about 4 ounces per gallon) is more than adequate.

Bring the water shoes. If you don't need them, you just take them off -- but if you do need them, you can't make them appear.

This is good advice.

I always take water shoes to the beach.

Crocs have some that are comfortable and look good enough to wear off the beach.