Off the Dawn yesterday

I will keep this on the brief side as I plan on doing a mega review in the review section after I have caught up on laundry and sleep.

We cruised the Dawn last week to Bermuda. What a wonderful ship and quite an improvement since we cruised her about 5 years ago.

The crew was so friendly we almost felt we were on our own private chip and the entertainment was never ending. Among the wonderful crew and management I can't say enough about the guys who assisted with helping people with mobility challenges get on and off the ship, not to mention the passengers who were nice, friendly and helpful for the most part.

We certainly can not complain about the food, quality of portions but I was disappointed in Los Lobos. In fact we talked to other that shared our opinion, but food is subjective and just because we were not happy doesn't mean everyone feels this way.

The weather sucked but there was enough to do we lived with lack of warmth. With the iffy weather did come some rocking and rolling, much worse going to Bermuda than coming back. We talked to a few people who had private tours booked but they were cancelled due to strong winds. Such is life. If we were to do Bermuda again, which is unlikely we would book a later date.

If anyone has any questions I would be glad to answer. Let me add one more thing: no there are no straws and for good reason, so people lets stop complaining about such minor issues and be thankful we can still cruise.

We are thinking about going on the Dawn this summer with our children Does this ship have mini-golf and an outdoor movie screen?

Thank you :)

Answer to both is NO !

The DAWN does have a basketball court; ping pong; shuffleboard and a LARGE Chess/Checkerboard.

As for golf there are practice driving netted areas near the ping pong.

For movies there are Videos on demand ($) available on the in house TV.

There is a Video Arcade - but this ship is not the floating amusement park you were looking for !

We are thinking about going on the Dawn this summer with our children Does this ship have mini-golf and an outdoor movie screen?

as you can see the answer is no, but they do have a lot of kids activities as well as daily family activities.

I guess even the weather is subjective. We were also on the cruise, our eleventh to Bermuda. We had three glorious weather days in Bermuda with sun and temperatures in the seventies. Only on the last day at sea did passengers really have to stay inside because of wind, but that is what frequently happens in May on the Atlantic. . We felt fortunate because the crew told us that the previous week, it rained in Bermuda two of the three days.

As you said, the staff was wonderful, passengers were friendly, and I think the free ferry running to St. Georges for NCL passengers was an extra bonus.

The Dawn is a great ship. We are going on the two week Caribbean cruise from Boston in October before they switch the ship for Boston to the Gem.

Can you explain more about Los Lobos? Was it the service, or quality of the food or ???

Need to ask because based on our last cruise on the Dawn (March 2017) we have booked three meals in Los Lobos. At that time all the officers were choosing to dine there too. May need to rethink that!

Can you explain more about Los Lobos? Was it the service, or quality of the food or ???

Need to ask because based on our last cruise on the Dawn (March 2017) we have booked three meals in Los Lobos. At that time all the officers were choosing to dine there too. May need to rethink that!

certainly: we did love the service and the guacamole made at the table as long as you do not like any spice was good. We were asked if we wanted spicy: we said yes, but I never tasted anything spicy at all. We finally asked for salt and we got a small bowl of sea salt but there was no way to use it without asking for a spoon. The salsa was flat in our opinion and food just not filled with the typical Mexican flavors like cilantro, etc. We have lived in So Ca, NM and Texas plus traveling to Mexico many times. (no not just the border towns) What we expected to eat in Los Lobos was much like the food we had in Spain. I would call it Spanish rather than Mexican.

I’ve been on many, many cruises. The Dawn was our least favorite and would never take my kids on her. Everyone is different, but found her to be boring compared to what we’re used to. I personally would take them on The Oasis class on Royal. Not sure of their ages, but something for all ages!! Glad to answer any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

certainly: we did love the service and the guacamole made at the table as long as you do not like any spice was good. We were asked if we wanted spicy: we said yes, but I never tasted anything spicy at all. We finally asked for salt and we got a small bowl of sea salt but there was no way to use it without asking for a spoon. The salsa was flat in our opinion and food just not filled with the typical Mexican flavors like cilantro, etc. We have lived in So Ca, NM and Texas plus traveling to Mexico many times. (no not just the border towns) What we expected to eat in Los Lobos was much like the food we had in Spain. I would call it Spanish rather than Mexican.

I do recall the food wasn't too spicy, except for the cactus salad which was super hot and spicy:eek:

We did love the guacamole and enjoyed the carnitas there a year ago. I wonder if they've deliberately toned down the spices since that first season.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

I’ve been on many, many cruises. The Dawn was our least favorite and would never take my kids on her. Everyone is different, but found her to be boring compared to what we’re used to. I personally would take them on The Oasis class on Royal. Not sure of their ages, but something for all ages!! Glad to answer any questions!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

i am surprised you posted here about a different line. The person asked about kids activities, not one line versus another.We didn't have a lot of kids on this sailing but the few we had seemed to be having a great time. I asked a few and all said they loved the cruise, didn't want to go home. I guess some kids are easier to keep happy than others. That is why we have so many choices in life and in cruising.

Trying to figure out the parking at the pier issue.

Are the lots at the bow gone?

Is the only parking the garage or satellite spot where you shuttle in?

Thank you in advance. 😊

Hello New Mexico Nita,

I’m looking forward to reading your review. I will be on The Dawn September 7th for a Boston to Bermuda cruise.

Did you take photos of the main dining room menus?

Menus posted online are about 3 years old.

If no photos, can you write about some of your favorite items in the MDR

Brian

Edited by UBP....YES!!!!
Typo

Can you please let me know what night the White Hot party was? Thanks

Yes, it was Tuesday, Day 5. I have most of the dailies but do not know how to scan and send them. Sorry. I did do my review a few days ago, do not know when it will be published yet Usually it is about a week after submitted.

Hello New Mexico Nita,

I’m looking forward to reading your review. I will be on The Dawn September 7th for a Boston to Bermuda cruise.

Did you take photos of the main dining room menus?

Menus posted online are about 3 years old.

If no photos, can you write about some of your favorite items in the MDR

Brian

Brian, I wish I could help you on the MDR issue but we only ate dinner there one night. Between our dinning package, the Asian restaurant and being platinum plus we had specialty dining most of the time. We did have prime rib the last night. It was good, cut thicker than some will tell you, but it wasn't the best in the world. The breakfast menu has a couple of different items each day which we enjoyed. We ate breakfast in the MDR 5 mornings I think. Some of the choices were really good. Skip ham, it is almost just like luncheon meat ham, not worth the extra calories. Of course I am not a lover of processed foods of any kind, specially lunch meats. One think a lot of people do not realize is: O'Sheehan's has a breakfast. It isn't huge or fancy but a good place to go for a quick, simple breakfast.

Yes, it was Tuesday, Day 5. I have most of the dailies but do not know how to scan and send them. Sorry. I did do my review a few days ago, do not know when it will be published yet Usually it is about a week after submitted.

Thank you

Brian, I wish I could help you on the MDR issue but we only ate dinner there one night. Between our dinning package, the Asian restaurant and being platinum plus we had specialty dining most of the time. We did have prime rib the last night. It was good, cut thicker than some will tell you, but it wasn't the best in the world. The breakfast menu has a couple of different items each day which we enjoyed. We ate breakfast in the MDR 5 mornings I think. Some of the choices were really good. Skip ham, it is almost just like luncheon meat ham, not worth the extra calories. Of course I am not a lover of processed foods of any kind, specially lunch meats. One think a lot of people do not realize is: O'Sheehan's has a breakfast. It isn't huge or fancy but a good place to go for a quick, simple breakfast.

Thank you NewMexicoNita,

I have a 3 night dining package too.

It came with the Aft PH I booked.

Was wanting to look at MDR menus, to plan what night to make reservations for the Speciality Restuarants. I really like O’Sheehans for breakfast too.

I get to eat in Moderno for breakfast ( Suite Perk), but will try it at least once.

and the MDR, if the opening hours are more convenient for me.I’m not a “ ham” person either.. thanks for the heads up on that.🐖🐖

Looking forward to your review.

Thanks again for your reply!!

Brian

as you can see the answer is no, but they do have a lot of kids activities as well as daily family activities.

As does just about every cruise ship.

We've discussed bringing our young nieces/nephews on a cruise with us and the Dawn is explicitly not on our list because it lacks all the features newer ships have that would help entertain the kiddos.